Want to open a restaurant with my settlement money

What sort of relevant experience do you have, besides liking soup? You don't just jump into this without a background in the industry and expect to be able to succeed.
This is like someone who has never trained a day in their life going "I'll do an MMA fight tomorrow, I watch UFC".

(For context, my partner and I are in the process of buying a restaurant. She has 9 years of experience as a restaurant manager and we're buying the store she works in. $400k purchase price, current turnover approx $1.3mil. There's no way I'd even think about doing this if she hadn't already been running the business for as many years as she has).

Do you own a home? If you don't, use that money for a deposit instead.

Don't do it. Have you ever see any Gordon Ramsey episode where he goes to help failing restaurants? Literally all of them start out thinking it's going to be easy and they're going to make lots of money and it's going to be great, and they all end up failing and it's never what they thought it would be. Don't do it.

This x1000.

Looks like I'll finally be getting a settlement from the city after the incident that happened when I was riding the light rail here in Seattle.

It's not an ungodly sum but the most money I've ever gotten in one shot. I believe once all fees and deductions are paid I'll be getting $45k.

It's so tempting to go down the hedonistic rabbit hole when you run into a chunk of change. I already have friends making plans with my money. One of my friends who goes to Mexico often tells me I should take a month vacation to Tijuana, where with my money I can bang a different hot Mexican Chick every night and spend the day on the beach where I can have coke hand delivered to me on the cheap

Sounds fun if I was 20 years old again but that time is gone.

At the moment I'm thinking of opening a small restaurant specializing in soup. I love soup and think it's one of the most underrated food staples here in America, and particularly Seattle. I want to make 30 kinds of soup to serve daily. And to be paired with a variety of breads.

I would have to do some more planning but I feel a little tug in my heart to do this. First time in my life taking a big risk. I know I can fail but that's the point. Can't always play it safe.

Soup wont sell, if you are doing a restaurant do something popular like Italian, Mexican, or American. Then put your own twist on it to differentiate yourself. And if you are still obsessed with the Soup thing, offer it as a side item.

Buy Bitcoin bro restaurants fail easily

Easiest way to lose money is via a restaurant or cafe.
In this day and age I'd start small with a food truck or pop up at markets or something and see how I go before looking at a restaurant
30 is way to much as well, any chef would walk in and go "this is a ridiculous menu"

Im also not a big soup guy and cant imagine a soup place being profitable in 2022

Run it like a Pho House:

One single broth in a gigantic pot that will last all day. Then, when an order comes in, ladle out the broth into a bowl and place the chicken/beef into the bowl. Finally, toss some basil on top as it's moving out the kitchen door.

At least, that's how I assume Pho Houses are run.

Why on earth would you choose at this point in time to start a restaurant. The failure rate in a non-recession would be enough to cause trepidation.

Yup. Failure rate is something like 80% over 5 years. And unless you're really smart, you'll lose a lot more than the initial investment. Almost everyone has a business plan, very, very few people have an exit plan for getting out of business when things go south.

Do home delivery, and if there is a market then expand to a restaurant. Just my 04 cents*

*inflation

This. Lots of food businesses in my city started this way in recent years, lot less capital on the line and you don't get wiped out when things don't work out the way you planned.

Get some experience, then launch…I love success stories..bring us one.

30 soups is crazy, Brother.. But a soup and bread truck, or even restaurant could work!

If it’s your dream, do it!
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to bowl!!

Where else have restaurants been successful serving only soup? If there aren't any you won't have a business model to learn from in which case I wouldn't do it.

There's ways to do it on the cheap. I suggest doing a proof of concept first before spending all that cash. If you can do can do a drive through (not for soup though) even better. The magic number is 100 customers per day.

Sounds like a lot of work. Why not let wizards on Wall Street make you money?

qWYVOB.gif
Expected to see a soup nazi reference after reading the op, was not disappointed.

Back