Weapons Loaded While You Sleep?

Loaded 357s in 2 rooms of my house, got a lot of guns but I like revolvers as I can be incredibly lazy and they’ll be a sure fire bet. I blast the 6 in the cylinder couple times a year, over the years not one hasn’t fired. Also 6 shots is plenty, aside from tons of range time I’ve been on both ends of gunfights so I think I’ll keep my wits in the event it’s needed. I keep an older sure fire flashlight beside the bed, I’ll go old school and cross my hands with a flashlight to get my conus kill if need be. That’s what we did back before pistol gun lights were the norm.

I have x300s but they stay on work guns.

Only recently has the step been taken to have a firearm "at the ready". I decided to keep it with a full mag inserted and the slide locked back. Makes it clear the gun is loaded and is easy to get into battery (for the wife).

Only recently has the step been taken to have a firearm "at the ready". I decided to keep it with a full mag inserted and the slide locked back. Makes it clear the gun is loaded and is easy to get into battery (for the wife).
At that point, why not just finish what you started and put a round in the chamber so it’s ready to go?

At that point, why not just finish what you started and put a round in the chamber so it’s ready to go?

Like I said, to the wife's benefit, there's no confusion about the status of the weapon. Nor is there any difficulty in pulling back the slide from there to chamber a round.

I don't anticipate a John Woo flick scenario where you gotta jump through the air, grab your gun, and drop a motherfucker all in one motion. :D

For my household this is a great balance of having something ready, in a totally safe condition, and easy to manipulate in a time of stress.

Like I said, to the wife's benefit, there's no confusion about the status of the weapon. Nor is there any difficulty in pulling back the slide from there to chamber a round.

I don't anticipate a John Woo flick scenario where you gotta jump through the air, grab your gun, and drop a motherfucker all in one motion. :D

For my household this is a great balance of having something ready, in a totally safe condition, and easy to manipulate in a time of stress.

statistically what are the odds of intruders in your home where you live? I'm not sure if you're in the US but it seems like everyone has a gun ready for intruders that never come?

statistically what are the odds of intruders in your home where you live? I'm not sure if you're in the US but it seems like everyone has a gun ready for intruders that never come?

The stats are tricky as it could be on your property but not necessarily a home invasion. But it is estimated that 1-1.1 million home invasions every year. There are roughly 7.5 million property crimes. Roughly 250k per year are victimized during a home invasion. Ranging from simple assualt - rape or murder. As far as assault or worse on your property but not inside your dwelling I'm not sure. But it raises the number.

So while I don't think my house will be broken into it's not out of the realm of possibility.

As far as having a gun ready. I already own them, may as well have one ready in the unlikely event I need it.

For me, pretty fuckin' low. Especially with three dogs.

Violent crime is a real thing. Statistically, what are the chances some cop magically appears and saves someone from harm? The truth is that people are responsible for their own protection. Some folks like to be better prepared than others.

View attachment 758054

Why not just get a speed safe and keep your gun ready to rock and roll? I got one of these bolted to the back of my nightstand. My 3 year old is into pressing buttons on anything, so he was curious when he saw it. I let him push the buttons so he could see they don’t do anything (unless you know the code obviously), and he’s not getting into it nor is he curious about it anymore. But I can get my gun out of it in about 1 second if I need to, and I don’t have to do anything but flip the safety off. I got it maybe 5 or 6 years ago so there’s probably better ones now. I think I paid like $160 for it IIRC.
upload_2020-4-6_8-50-58.jpeg

View attachment 758054
Why not just get a speed safe and keep your gun ready to rock and roll? I got one of these bolted to the back of my nightstand. My 3 year old is into pressing buttons on anything, so he was curious when he saw it. I let him push the buttons so he could see they don’t do anything (unless you know the code obviously), and he’s not getting into it nor is he curious about it anymore. But I can get my gun out of it in about 1 second if I need to, and I don’t have to do anything but flip the safety off. I got it maybe 5 or 6 years ago so there’s probably better ones now. I think I paid like $160 for it IIRC.
View attachment 758055

Is there enough room to get your finger into the trigger guard? Almost looks like it from this picture.

View attachment 758054
View attachment 758055

Good question. I don't have kids. And I bet I can release a slide quicker than you can type in your code and flick off a safety. :cool:

Israeli carry in a finger print safe. While we train muscle memory and all that jazz, I'd never underestimate my own idiocy while half asleep, hence having to rack one. Plus I have kiddos. I don't know how they'd possibly open it, but just in case the safe malunctioned or something I still have another level of protection by not having one in the chamber.

That's just me though, to each their own.

My porcelain Glock 7 is always locked and loaded under my pillow.

My porcelain Glock 7 is always locked and loaded under my pillow.
giphy.gif

I thought this footage was an interesting look at how much time (or lack thereof) you may have in the event of a home invasion.

Assuming you first become aware that someone is trying to force their way into your home at the first attempt the bad guy makes to knock the door down, in this instance, the homeowner had approximately 6 seconds between the first hit on the door, and by the time the door was forced open and the bad guys are in the home.

It’s something to consider, if you’re storing your guns in the event of a home invasion, on how much time you’re actually going to have to retrieve your gun and get it into the fight.

Last edited:
I thought this footage was an interesting look at how much time (or lack thereof) you may have in the event of a home invasion.

Assuming you first become aware that someone is trying to force their way into your home at the first attempt the bad guy makes to knock the door down, in this instance, the homeowner had approximately 6 seconds between the first hit on the door, and by the time the door was forced open and the bad guys are in the home.

It’s something to consider, if you’re storing your guns in the event of a home invasion, on how much time you’re actually going to have to retrieve your gun and get it into the fight.

Yep. Great video.

Here’s another interesting one. I’ll probably ruffle some feathers, but this one reason why I don’t keep a revolver for home defense.

^also the effectiveness of a solid ass front door haha

Here’s another interesting one. I’ll probably ruffle some feathers, but this one reason why I don’t keep a revolver for home defense

Yup, I have talked to revolver owners about things like this. Hell even a 1911 doesn't the capacity I'd want for this. Even if it was just 3 dudes I'd want more than 6-8 rounds. AR or full size 9mm

Back