Weapons Loaded While You Sleep?

Here’s another interesting one. I’ll probably ruffle some feathers, but this one reason why I don’t keep a revolver for home defense.

The upside of a revolver is they don't jam. Once you get a couple shots off, those guys will probably scatter.

Wasn’t trying to turn this into a revolver bashing post, my bad on that. But thats not technically true. They are of course not going to have the same kind of potential feeding or ejection issues that autoloaders are susceptible to, but they absolutely can have their own unique issues. And at the sacrifice of significant capacity and reload speed.

And yeah, maybe the bad guys scatter. Or maybe they don’t, they’re armed, and now you’ve gotten yourself 5 or 6 rounds into a gun fight that you’re severely outgunned in.

Wasn’t trying to turn this into a revolver bashing post, my bad on that. But thats not technically true. They are of course not going to have the same kind of potential feeding or ejection issues that autoloaders are susceptible to, but they absolutely can have their own unique issues. And at the sacrifice of significant capacity and reload speed.

And yeah, maybe the bad guys scatter. Or maybe they don’t, they’re armed, and now you’ve gotten yourself 5 or 6 rounds into a gun fight that you’re severely outgunned in.
If those many guys are all armed and willing to fire on you, you are probably dead anyway.

For firearms intended for home defense, do you keep any of them loaded while you sleep at night?

I keep my revolver loaded obviously and the shotgun has 3 shells in it but its in a safe on the main floor and we sleep upstairs. The revolver is in a quick open safe by the bed.

If those many guys are all armed and willing to fire on you, you are probably dead anyway.
Or, you choose to keep a gun for home defense that might actually give you a fighting chance to survive and protect your family against multiple bad guys.

Last edited:
^also the effectiveness of a solid ass front door haha

That's exactly what I was thinking. Money well spent right there.

The upside of a revolver is they don't jam. Once you get a couple shots off, those guys will probably scatter.

Neither do any of my semi-auto CZ's. You'll have to hope so, since in the scene above you'd have fewer bullets than bad guys.

That said, people should use what they're comfortable with. If that's a revolver then that's way better than nothing.

I keep all mine loaded and chambered. My glock in my nightstand for home intruders. My Draco next to the bed in case someone messes with my bike and my .45 in a kitchen cabinet for easy access while in the living room.

I keep all mine loaded and chambered. My glock in my nightstand for home intruders. My Draco next to the bed in case someone messes with my bike and my .45 in a kitchen cabinet for easy access while in the living room.
You got a brace on the Draco? I’ve been curious what it’s like to shoot one of those without the brace.

You got a brace on the Draco? I’ve been curious what it’s like to shoot one of those without the brace.
Yeah man it has an adjustable stock. Eventually I’d like to get a folding stock. I’ve fired a 12g with a pistol grip and no stock and without being able to shoulder you have almost no ADS. The recoil on a Draco won’t be as bad but I can still imagine that it’ll be pretty inaccurate.

Always loaded. Always close by.

Yes. I have a loaded handgun in a quick 3 button spring opened safe

Everything in home defense is a trade off of speed vs safety of no negligent handling and discharge.

Depends on the home condition where that sweet spot is (if it’s just you, a loaded gun right on top of the nightstand can be fine. With kids, need to take more precautions and I think a loaded gun in quick access safe works great. If you say have a wife or teen battling suicidal thoughts and depression, maybe you need even more strict controls).

I keep a revolver by my pillow, a 1911 in my sockdrawer, and an AR-15 and Saiga-12 in a safe in my bedroom. all loaded.

In worst case , I can use the revolver to get to my 1911, and then use that to get to my gunsafe.

And no , I'm not paranoid. I have experienced a home invasion armed robbery. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I had no guns at the time and was defenseless. thankfully I wasn't hurt.

Last edited:
Or, you choose to keep a gun for home defense that might actually give you a fighting chance to survive and protect your family against multiple bad guys.
Recent sociopolitical events have compelled me to get something a little higher capacity because the events shown in the video you posted above seem a little more likely today. The world is becoming less and less predictable.

Back