Weidman could not continue because of Gegard's knees. Pretended they were illegal. Deserved to lose.

He didnt get TKOD though. Ref is the one that pulled them apart while they were still fighting.
this. that's the part all of the people making a big point about weidman milking it are missing. It isn't like weidman got dropped by a knee strike and then the ref ran in between them and said it was illegal, the only reason there was a stoppage was because the ref fucked up his call. Fighters can get injured or hurt during a round without it immediately being a TKO like some here are saying

He pretended that those LEGAL knees murdered him, keeled over like he couldn't continue because he was done and getting smashed by Gegard.

This is confirmed in the post fight interview where he was ranting about illegal knees and then was proven wrong on the replay.

I don't blame him for trying because he was finished at that point. I feel bad for him because he's a good guy but that was a legitimate TKO loss.

I kind of agree. Mirgliatta fucked up, and his fuck up screwed over weidman (regardless of weidmans reaction to the knees). But, the fact that weidman was (imo) pretending to be more hurt than he was in hopes of gaining a dq makes me feel better about it. Looking forward to the rematch tbh.

edit: it was not a legitimate tko though

i agree in theory and thats how i explained it to my friends who asked why it was called a tko

weidman said he needed time to recover=he wasnt able to fight=TKO

the same thing happened with james irvin vs alessio sakara, irvin thought he was eyepoked so the ref stopped it. replay showed that it wasnt a poke and irvin said he needed to stop from the strike, so it was called a TKO

it sucks for weidman though, the ref stopped the fight when he was clearly still fighting, and they called it a TKO. earliest stoppage ever....

Keep fucking it up "New UFC". Not fun for fans.

"the ref stopped the fight when he was clearly still fighting,"

^I dunno about that, after Gegard landed the knees, didn't Weidman immediately start milking it?

Makes me wonder what would of happened if the ref let them continue fighting when Mousasi had Weidman in the clinch

The knees were legal... But it's BS to blame Weidman. Mirgliotta stopped the fight and declared the strikes illegal.

Both are at fault. The ref stopped a legal move, and Weidman played the victim, and it did backfire.

He never was grounded. The rule has changed, fingers doesn't matter, you need the palm of both hands.
oh i didnt realize you needed palms on the ground. didnt know that fingers werent enough. he must not have known either.

He claimed that those LEGAL knees murdered him, keeled over like he couldn't continue because he was done and getting smashed by Gegard.

This is confirmed in the post fight interview where he was ranting about illegal knees and then was proven wrong on the replay.

I don't blame him for trying because he was finished at that point. I feel bad for him because he's a good guy but that was a legitimate TKO loss.
referee error just took a lot of peoples money.

He claimed that those LEGAL knees murdered him, keeled over like he couldn't continue because he was done and getting smashed by Gegard.

this is my assessment as well. But his coaches most likely instructed him to do this

Both are at fault. The ref stopped a legal move, and Weidman played the victim, and it did backfire.
get kneed twice in the fucking head whilst prone by mousasi and then let me know your opinion.

I am a massive fan of both guys, but when you try to play the little technicalities game like that you deserve to lose.

^ I think the ref should get a bit more blame though for getting the call wrong

**I'll bet anyone Weidman tries to get the decision overturned to a NC.

"the ref stopped the fight when he was clearly still fighting,"

^I dunno about that, after Gegard landed the knees, didn't Weidman immediately start milking it?

Makes me wonder what would of happened if the ref let them continue fighting when Mousasi had Weidman in the clinch
Yeah looked to me that weidnan was out of sorts. I think he would have been done but who knows ? Need a rematch.

How the fuck can you say someone deserved to lose when he never signaled to the ref in the first place, wasn't close to being finished before it was broken up and he said he could continue?

He did literally nothing wrong. The entire thing is on Dan.

Wrong. The ref stopped it and dictated what happened from there.

you can be hurt by something without it immediately stopping the fight. Look at weidman before the ref stops the fight, if every fight was stopped when someone landed two solid knee strikes would you be fine with it?

No, but if they started wobbling around and clearly not wanting to fight like Weidman did, then yes, I think that fight should be stopped every time.

^yeah, guarantee that's the line of thinking Weidman sticks too, the "I could have continued bit" .. even though he was taking his 5 min ... but again the ref deserves blame for calling legal knees illegal.

Regardless of how Weidman acted and if you thought he quit or not it's just a disappointing inconclusive way for a fight to end

Back