What are you currently playing? v.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you're overwhelmingly right. I didn't actually know this because I didn't read up on what I should or shouldn't do with the game. I tried to do the different regions 'at level'. So go to skellige and do the quests matching my level... then heart and stone, then blood and wine and then come back and finish the main quest. And yes I was completely over-levelled. Just cruised through the last part of the game and managed to get Ciri killed. Not sure if I go back and correct this or try another game for a bit.
I've got skyrim untouched on the book shelf so maybe I'll put a few hours into that one?
I never tried skyrim but I heard you spend years on it so I don't even try looking into the series. I am already super disappointed with fallout 76. I played it for maybe 30 minutes and stopped.

I think I replayed witcher 3 about 2 times. First times i did it without the expansion. I tried to pick it up again and couldn't get into it. It took a few years then I tried it with the expansion. It is a really good game. I am sure I even missed certain parts of the game on my second run. There is so much to do and explore. I had to use a guide for the special armors. There are just too many pieces. I never got crazy with the game though. There are some players online that are super good at it. I am just a hack and slash guy. I barely use magic or potions unless it is real basic. There are guys who spec their builds to abuse potions or magic. There is one dude who soloed all the nilfgardian army

I never tried skyrim but I heard you spend years on it so I don't even try looking into the series. I am already super disappointed with fallout 76. I played it for maybe 30 minutes and stopped.
In my opinion, its one of the most overrated games of all time. You may love it but I certainly didnt, but Im not gonna lie and say its not atleast a good game. It was.....at the time. History may not be kind to it, and I feel itll age terribly.

As for the fallout games, try Fallout 3 with some mods. If you love a good RPG, itll hit the spot. The world building, the soundtrack, the feelings it induces on the player is something special. Just a marvellous game but ofcourse its a Bethesda title and so it has issues but not enough to detract from the experience. Fallout NV is another great one that some like even more than 3.

In my opinion, its one of the most overrated games of all time. You may love it but I certainly didnt, but Im not gonna lie and say its not atleast a good game. It was.....at the time. History may not be kind to it, and I feel itll age terribly.

As for the fallout games, try Fallout 3 with some mods. If you love a good RPG, itll hit the spot. The world building, the soundtrack, the feelings it induces on the player is something special. Just a marvellous game but ofcourse its a Bethesda title and so it has issues but not enough to detract from the experience. Fallout NV is another great one that some like even more than 3.
I was a super fallout fan. Fallout 1 and 2 got me through training in Thailand back in 2007. I bought the fallout 3 bootleg CD but the PC cafe in Thailand didn't have computer to run it. I even accepted fallout 4. The modding community is awesome for Fallout. The company then started doing sketchy shit. I accepted a lot of fallout changes like their restriction on free will or general toned down nature of the game. You can't really be a villain anymore.

I think I replayed witcher 3 about 2 times. First times i did it without the expansion. I tried to pick it up again and couldn't get into it. It took a few years then I tried it with the expansion. It is a really good game. I am sure I even missed certain parts of the game on my second run. There is so much to do and explore. I had to use a guide for the special armors. There are just too many pieces. I never got crazy with the game though. There are some players online that are super good at it. I am just a hack and slash guy. I barely use magic or potions unless it is real basic. There are guys who spec their builds to abuse potions or magic. There is one dude who soloed all the nilfgardian army

I keep wanting to go back to Skyrim but it is a definite timesink and it has a lot of issues with bugs because of Bethesda's creation engine. I think that's why Starfield and ES:VI is taking so long cause they are redesigning the engine for modern consoles and because... the creation engine is very dated.

Still it's an amazing game and worth a playthrough. The SE is always on sale now too so I would recommend it on the cheap. Just be aware their might be a few hard crashes some weird visual bugs and it will suck you in so it might take away 50-100 hours you could put in other games.

Spending years on it, is really only for the super hardcore. A standard run can last anywhere between 40-100 hours, depending on how much you put into it. It only has so much legs, and people willing to replay it over and over and over again, just because of how addictive it's gameplay loop is and how robust it's systems are. It's only as endless as you want it to be.

It's not like "Fallout 76", though. It's a standard single player RPG experience, with a rich campaign. You won't be just plopped into some baron world with a few NPC fetch quest givers, like in an MMO like "Fallout 76".

Dying Light.

What I loved:

Art Direction: This game is one of the most aesthetically pleasing open world games Ive ever played. The amount of work that went into making the two major 'hub' cities into looking gorgeous is mind-blowing. The second 'hub' reminded me of Venice from AC2 and so much nostalgia came flooding back, but the first 'hub' is gorgeous aswell and definitely felt it couldve been in Far Cry 3 or something. Ofcourse we have some gripes here and there (low quality textures, repetition of certain motifs, and layouts) but the world is fucking beautifully realised. Every character was unique and looked different, the damn lighting, most of the texture work, this game is a damn looker. Its the best thing about the game.

Voice Acting for the Main Character: Kyle Crane is voiced fucking amazingly, what a stellar job by Roger Craig Smith. Of course he blows everyone else out the water, and lets face it nearly every other actor sounded amateurish and 'off'.

What I hated:

Checkpoint and Save System: In a first person 'parkour' zombie game, you would expect a fucking great checkpoint system. Lets face it, the gameplay is so damn inconsistent, so when you die because a jump that looked easily doable, and you have to spend 5 minutes getting back to the location from a safe house, then something is fucking wrong with the game. The checkpoint system is only okay during the main missions, but it still sucks.

Modern Open World Design: This game is pretty much an Ubisoft open world game (mainly AC and Far Cry). The same bullshit that you hate in those games, is persistent here. I dont even need to go further. Fucking towers, fucking safe houses, clutter my fucking map with objectives and fetch quests. Fuck off.

Story: This is a complete fucking shambles. Again, they pretty got the structure from a Far Cry Game. Insert generic, violent and chaotic bad guy, insert city with diverse cast of people and accents, insert American who gets attached to said city and disobeys his objectives to 'save it'......you know. Generic, boring and utterly forgettable. I just finished it and I couldnt give a shit about anything that happened in the game. Other than 2-3 side characters, every other character is entirely forgettable.

Game Design: Some of the worst thought out mission designs Ive ever encountered in a game. Fucking seriously. Do better than 'fetch quest version 2. Whoever decided that 'sliding' and 'vaulting' should be unlockable skills in a parkour game should be ashamed. The unlockable skills shouldve been what the character starts with. The menus fucking suck, looting in this game is a hassle, and monotonous. You never get interesting shit anyways. God whoever designed the final mission, needs to change jobs, that was the worst in the game. Thanks for the fun QTEs that popped outta nowhere for the final encounter. Thanks for the shouty children enemies plopped infront of you killing any momentum in your free running. So many baffling decisions made for this game confused me. Human enemy balancing, and overall balancing in this game is completely off.

Overall:

One second, you feel like Spiderman running around the city, and when the gameplay flows, it feels and plays fucking amazing. And then the other second, you're fucking frustrated because Kyle isnt doing what you want, or youre running from Zombies in a mission, to have one fucking exploding bloater hiding behind the door killing you and restarting everything. When I loved the game, I really did, and I stopped multiple times to look at the gorgeous views. I can keep going on and on about what they did wrong but the design for the open world is fantastic, and so much care actually went there. I just wish locations had multiple entry points. So much attention to detail, and whilst I wish it was more physics based (breakable glasses, objects etc), its a damn fun game when it allows it self to flow uninterrupted.

The game couldve been so much better, and shouldve been.

6.5/10.

Hollow Knight is soooooo good. I love the Metroidvania type games, bit don't play many these days due to a huge back log. Tend to play bigger titles just to keep afloat with a giant stack of games. I hadn't played one in years since Bloodstained which was great, but quite a while ago. Was excited to jump into Metroid Dread and while I enjoyed it, it really didn't do much more than previous 2D entries. Super Metroid was fantastic but I think the only power they added was cloak suit which was barely used. The EMMI sections which were exhilarating at first, but after the first few grew annoying. Fighting them was more about finding a long enough run way than an actual battle.

I enjoyed my time with it but after playing Hollow Knight I can't help but look back and think how basic it was. The movement abilities, powers, build options with charms and enemy variety makes for such an amazing game. I'm really kicking myself for waiting so long to play it since it's been getting so much praise for so long.

Hollow Knight is soooooo good. I love the Metroidvania type games, bit don't play many these days due to a huge back log. Tend to play bigger titles just to keep afloat with a giant stack of games. I hadn't played one in years since Bloodstained which was great, but quite a while ago. Was excited to jump into Metroid Dread and while I enjoyed it, it really didn't do much more than previous 2D entries. Super Metroid was fantastic but I think the only power they added was cloak suit which was barely used. The EMMI sections which were exhilarating at first, but after the first few grew annoying. Fighting them was more about finding a long enough run way than an actual battle.

I enjoyed my time with it but after playing Hollow Knight I can't help but look back and think how basic it was. The movement abilities, powers, build options with charms and enemy variety makes for such an amazing game. I'm really kicking myself for waiting so long to play it since it's been getting so much praise for so long.

ONE
OF
US

@Gingerdead Man i had no idea you and Val were the same person... mind blown.
Still to come the final stage of the transformation:

Souls_5284ee_6420349.gif

I keep wanting to go back to Skyrim but it is a definite timesink and it has a lot of issues with bugs because of Bethesda's creation engine. I think that's why Starfield and ES:VI is taking so long cause they are redesigning the engine for modern consoles and because... the creation engine is very dated.

Still it's an amazing game and worth a playthrough. The SE is always on sale now too so I would recommend it on the cheap. Just be aware their might be a few hard crashes some weird visual bugs and it will suck you in so it might take away 50-100 hours you could put in other games.

Speaking of Skyrim. New info out..

Games launching this month for the fam – courtesy of Benji but I reordered by date to have it read better:
  • Just Dance 2022 - 11/4
  • Forza Horizon 5 - 11/9
  • Jurassic World Evolution 2 - 11/9
  • Blue Reflection: Second Light - 11/9
  • Skyrim Anniversary Edition - 11/11
  • GTA Trilogy: Definitive Edition - 11/11
  • Shin Megami Tensei V - 11/12
  • Call of Duty Vanguard - 11/5
  • Grow: Song of the Evertres - 11/16
  • Sherlock Holmes Chapter 1 - 11/16
  • Klang 2 - 11/17
  • Battlefield 2042 - 11/19
  • Pokémon BD/SP - 11/19
  • Re:Legend - 11/21
  • FF XIV Endwalker- 11/23
  • Beyond a Steel Sky - 11/30
In other news, a Red Dead Remaster is rumoured to be in development. GamesRadar+ has a write-up on it here.

In my opinion, its a top 10 game of all time. Metroid Dread wishes it was half as good.

Started playing Hollow Knight to have something to mess around with while waiting for Guardians of the Galaxy, but got totally hooked. Have taken down a few bosses and got a few key upgrades, having an absolute blast. Made my way to the Crystal Caverns and getting wrecked. Got a few shortcuts unlocked and made my way to one of the bosses and had to leave. Can't wait to get another round in to give the boss another go.

Pleasantly surprised by Guardians. Similarly to how I was pleasantly surprised by the movies.

Played an hour and a little bit of Blasphemous (around 9%). I fucking love it so far. Its just a visual feast of a game with a beautiful OST. I cant wait to play more of it. The lore etc are taken from I guess Christianity and the Bible, and some of the imagery and visuals are drop dead stunning. Still not used to the pixel art fonts, Ive never been used to that tbh, and some of the dialogue is a little to old timey and shit but its great. I said I wasnt gonna play another Metroidvania title but this one seems like a Fromsoftware game in 2D (and is probably gonna end up being my favourite soulslike).

FIFA 22 for online multiplayer
Far Cry 6 and Mass Effect Trilogy solo
Dark Anthology: House of Ashes for couch co-op
Beat Saber with custom songs when drinking

Played an hour and a little bit of Blasphemous (around 9%). I fucking love it so far. Its just a visual feast of a game with a beautiful OST. I cant wait to play more of it. The lore etc are taken from I guess Christianity and the Bible, and some of the imagery and visuals are drop dead stunning. Still not used to the pixel art fonts, Ive never been used to that tbh, and some of the dialogue is a little to old timey and shit but its great. I said I wasnt gonna play another Metroidvania title but this one seems like a Fromsoftware game in 2D (and is probably gonna end up being my favourite soulslike).

It's pretty great. Just be warned that early on, if you find yourself in the snow, turn around 'cause you gonna get raped. It's pretty good at leading you down its most natural path, but you can find yourself way underpowered for certain areas if you get a little too curious. Mainly just in the first few hours of the game, though.

Also, don't forget that you have to manually mark your map when you run into key areas, that you might have to return to later. I didn't figure that shit out until I was almost finished with the game, and had to play by memory the whole time.

It's pretty great. Just be warned that early on, if you find yourself in the snow, turn around 'cause you gonna get raped. It's pretty good at leading you down its most natural path, but you can find yourself way underpowered for certain areas if you get a little too curious. Mainly just in the first few hours of the game, though.

Also, don't forget that you have to manually mark your map when you run into key areas, that you might have to return to later. I didn't figure that shit out until I was almost finished with the game, and had to play by memory the whole time.
Holy shit I am the tye to just explore, Im there right now lol but I have unlocked a shortcut back to Alberto but yeah there ae a bunch of places I can go. I smashed through some secret entrance at the bottom of the place with the injured people, but thought that might be a little early maybe. Snow place is tricky, but I thought it was because I suck, and Im the type to try and try again regardless.

Thanks for the tips dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back