What are you reading?

Just reread Boy by Roald Dahl. Read it about 20 years ago the first time.

About to start on the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaman.

Just reread War of the Flea. Excellent read. About to start Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife: Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam.

Just reread Boy by Roald Dahl. Read it about 20 years ago the first time.

About to start on the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaman.
Roald was awesome.
He had such a clean style. Almost the opposite of Faulkner/McCarthy.

Just about to start who moved my cheese.

Just finally got around to reading The art of war a few weeks ago. Also picked up " walden " by Thoreau.....holy shit was that guy convinced he had the world figured out at friggen 28 or whatever. I couldn't get past the first 30 pages or , I'll probably pick it up again to see what the fuss is about.

Finished dostojevskis idiot and now reading George Orwells 1984. After this ill read brave new world, and after that more dostojevski

Esau. A book about yetis by Phillip Kerr.

51Yyzvo-TOL.jpg

So far in 2017...

Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino: Talented writer, some interesting ideas, but not quite my thing.

The Eternal Husband and Other Stories by Fyodor Dostoevsky: Brilliant. Like virtually everything he wrote. Dream of a Ridiculous Man was a favorite. Nasty Anecdote was hilarious.

Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie: About the nuts trying to kill him back in the 80's. I support his right to free speech, but the dude came across like a serious blowhard in the book.

Eugenie Grandet by Honore de Balzac: very good. Book was from 1833, but very readable. Clear precursor stylistically to Dosotoevsky.

The Golden Calf by Ilya Ilf and Evgeny Petrov: Hilarious story of con artists running wild in early Soviet Union, trying to become millionaires.

7 Japanese Tales by Junichiro Tanizaki. Fucking weird shit. One story was about a dude who was like 22 but breastfeeding still from his stepmom. Enjoyable though, lol.

A Voyage Long and Strange by Tony Horwitz: Non-fiction about early European exploration of America. Good read. Always been fascinated by guys like Cabeza De Vaca.

The Late Mattia Pascal by Luigi Pirandello: really funny. Finds out people think he's dead, so he escapes his miserable life, but it doesn't work out, then he returns. Humorous scenes.

The Dirtiest Race In History by Richard Moore: About the 1988 100M final. Particularly Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson. Decent, but didn't really reach a lot of conclusions about all the allegations.

51VjV1cS1oL._AC_UL320_SR200,320_.jpg

Interesting so far. Drags a little when there's too much explaining about russian shit

I enjoyed that, but enjoyed Heart Of a Dog more.

Those Russians sure could write. Soviet Union did its best to stamp that out, though.

Slogging my way through The Kite Runner; it's good, but I'm having problems making myself finish it for whatever reason. I have The brothers karamazov waiting on deck, and that will be my first experience reading Dostoevsky.

I'm focusing a lot on bringing my french level up a bit, so I've been reading a lot of graded readers in french—I'm in the middle of Le Comte de Monte-Cristo.

Kite Runner was a nice book.
BK is a monster book for your first foray into Dostoevsky. All of his 4 famous masterpieces (Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, Demons, Brothers Karamozov) are long, but BK is longest and most complex. Notes From Underground, a novella, might be a good starting point to dip into first, to get used to his mayhem.

Just finished a book about John Wayne Gacy, now just started this:

17021640_10155168182762160_6521090765158740235_n.jpg

lol. One of my biggest obstacles to writing more is wanting it to be good, profound, well-researched, and intellectually honest. Seeing shit like this makes me think I'm setting my standards way too high for myself.

lol. One of my biggest obstacles to writing more is wanting it to be good, profound, well-researched, and intellectually honest. Seeing shit like this makes me think I'm setting my standards way too high for myself.

Well to be fair she's a good journalist. You shouldn't dismiss it simply because *SHOCK* it suggests there might be something negative about Islam which obviously must make her 'literally Hitler'.

Well to be fair she's a good journalist. You shouldn't dismiss it simply because *SHOCK* it suggests there might be something negative about Islam which obviously must make her 'literally Hitler'.
I don't care about the feelings of liberals but that title suggests it might not have the intellectual honesty I'm look for in a book. Buy this book before liberals ban it. LMAO.
But then again, they say don't judge a book a by it's cover. It could be a good book with poignant arguments but they know who they are catering to with that kind of marketing.

I don't care about the feelings of liberals but that title suggests it might not have the intellectual honesty I'm look for in a book. Buy this book before liberals ban it. LMAO.
But then again, they say don't judge a book a by it's cover. It could be a good book with poignant arguments but they know who they are catering to with that kind of marketing.

Well yeah, that was a quote from Ann Coulter I think!

I don't think you should ever judge a book by it's cover or what comments are on the cover that's for sure.
I've only just started reading it and to be honest I'd much rather watch Lauren do her videos or do her stuff out on the street during feminist marches, Black Lives Matter protests etc.
And that's not just because she's hot!

To whom the bell tools by Hemingway. Rereading it since it's one of the best books I've ever touched. Really, it's an experience to live thru. FYI it's about Spanish civil war

I just started Vurt by Jeff Noon. Pretty odd so far. I've been reading very slowly lately. I finally finished Wind Through the Keyhole last week after half a year.

I actually was debating getting this, as I like Southern when it comes to interviewing people and calling out hypocrisies. But lately she's been a little bit too much of a blind Trump supporter for me, which leads me to believe it'll just be your typical attack on PC culture, social justice, etc.
And there will never be a book that does that better than Thomas Sowell's Vision of The Anointed.

Reading a Dover Thrift Edition of the Bhagavad Gita on the train in the mornings and a bunch of my old fight pieces in the evenings (that I'm compiling and editing for my third book).

Back