What sort of handgun should I use for home protection?

Really? Why's that? That seems like a bit of overkill to be honest. But, again, I'm a know nothing when it comes to firearms.

You have more 'control' over a rifle than a pistol, it will be more accurate for you to shoot and more stable as a new person, and will serve as a better home defense weapon IMO in comparison to a shotgun or pistol.

You have more 'control' over a rifle than a pistol, it will be more accurate for you to shoot and more stable as a new person, and will serve as a better home defense weapon IMO in comparison to a shotgun or pistol.

OK. Cool. Thanks.

Should have been more specific, like lot size, proximity to neighbors, etc.
My bad. The truth is, I'm not sure about those specifics yet.
As strange as it may seem I haven't even been to Sedona yet nor seen my new home. My father in law bought the place for us as a wedding gift as soon as we found out that my wife was hired at her position there. So, other than what I've seen online, I'm going in blind.
All I can tell you is that that we will, indeed, have neighbors that live relatively nearby.

Really? Why's that? That seems like a bit of overkill to be honest. But, again, I'm a know nothing when it comes to firearms.

Easy of use, accuracy, follow up shots, capacity, devastating ammo, etc. It takes significantly less skill than a pistol to make accurate shots on target.

Examples of penetration and expansion from a couple popular rounds. There are rounds that are made that have very little penetration and others that will definitely surpass 9mm.

Hornady 60gr tap and
83286.jpg

75gr tap
8126N.jpg

Black hills 77gr tmk
5-56-77-gr-tipped-matchking-14-5-in-barrel-10-17-2013-a.jpg

This is a barrier round so probably not what you are looking for

D556N1-4.jpg

9mm

135gr +p flex lock
90225.jpg

Gold dot
0755066efa854a07e5394c971eff5fb1.jpg

Federal hst
dfc78f88ba0811eedc5fbe0d143953ea.jpg

Also I highly HIGHLY recommend getting some training classes, and I don't mean from some guy. Find someone who has an excellent background in weapons training and don't be shy they love teaching new and mature people.

Also after this training you're going to want to practice at least one range day/more training every few months realistically speaking. Skill fade is real. If you don't have the time to put into using the weapon in a dynamic fashion then I'd recommend just getting a dog lol.

My bad. The truth is, I'm not sure about those specifics yet.
As strange as it may seem I haven't even been to Sedona yet nor seen my new home. My father in law bought the place for us as a wedding gift as soon as we found out that my wife was hired at her position there. So, other than what I've seen online, I'm going in blind.
All I can tell you is that that we will, indeed, have neighbors that live relatively nearby.

Ok shooting critters will be not be something you can do on your property unless attacked. If you have cats I'd recommend leaving them inside. Coyotes live out there and you will probably see them. There is no point calling wildlife service for them unless they are specifically and repeatedly being a nuisance on your property. Now a big cat is a legit threat to people so that might warrant a call so see what they say.

Thanks much, gentlemen. I've got to say that I'm very impressed with how you conduct yourselves here in this part of Sherdog. This is a serious subject & thus far there's been no nonsense replies or attempts at trolling. Kudos.

Ok shooting critters will be not be something you can do on your property unless attacked. If you have cats I'd recommend leaving them inside. Coyotes live out there and you will probably see them. There is no point calling wildlife service for them unless they are specifically and repeatedly being a nuisance on your property. Now a big cat is a legit threat to people so that might warrant a call so see what they say.
Oh, I have no intention of shooting any animals at all unless they're a threat. Which, from what I understand, is highly unlikely. And, yeah, our cats are housecats only. They're never allowed outside. I only mentioned them because I thought that their scent might attract critters onto our property. But, I doubt that anything would do more than poke around the outskirts as a result.

Thanks much, gentlemen. I've got to say that I'm very impressed with how you conduct yourselves here in this part of Sherdog. This is a serious subject & thus far there's been no nonsense replies or attempts at trolling. Kudos.

{<redford}

There are only like 10-15 people that regularly post here. Everyone here treats each other with respect and all serious inquiries are met with serious and respectful answers. So feel free to ask any other questions, people will be happy to answer.

Rarely a thread comes along that any nonsense or trolling happens. One happened recently with the always be ready improvised weapons thread, but that is a major outlier thread for F65.

{<redford}

There are only like 10-15 people that regularly post here. Everyone here treats each other with respect and all serious inquiries are met with serious and respectful answers. So feel free to ask any other questions, people will be happy to answer.

Rarely a thread comes along that any nonsense or trolling happens. One happened recently with the always be ready improvised weapons thread, but that is a major outlier thread for F65.

LMAO. I saw that thread regarding improvised weapons & it was equal parts comedic & frustrating. I still haven't decided whether that KRAVJUTSU character is a complete troll job or a mentally & emotionally compromised individual of some sort.

I am wondering if I should get a shotgun for dealing with the sort of critters that live in & around the desert though. Something to use to scare off things like coyotes, mountain lions, etc should they come around our yard sniffing after our two housecats. I don't know if handguns can or should be used in situations like those. What do you think?
I'm a little late but your question has been answered by others pretty well. I will just reiterate what has been said by others here....it's easier to become proficient with a rifle such as an ar than it is with a pistol. Whether you go that route is up to you and only you can make that choice. You voiced your opinion earlier and I respect that. Just throwing some more information at you is all.

LMAO. I saw that thread regarding improvised weapons & it was equal parts comedic & frustrating. I still haven't decided whether that KRAVJUTSU character is a complete troll job or a mentally & emotionally compromised individual of some sort.

And that is why the thread went like it did. Unless someone comes in trolling or starts acting like a dick this sub forum is essentially respectful troll free to real or serious questions and topics. The only trolling that goes on if you want to call it that is regulars busting each others balls.

tomlin-celebrates.gif

if you want low maintenance and high reliability, get a revolver.

if you go semi auto, check reliability, function and accuracy reviews. CZ 75b is one of the most reliable accurate pistols around. if you get a 9mm handgun...i would strongly consider it.

Ar is a solid choice for home defense. they can permanently damage your heading if fired indoors according to some. many will have ear protection close to their defense weapon.

I'm a little late but your question has been answered by others pretty well. I will just reiterate what has been said by others here....it's easier to become proficient with a rifle such as an ar than it is with a pistol. Whether you go that route is up to you and only you can make that choice. You voiced your opinion earlier and I respect that. Just throwing some more information at you is all.

Gotcha. Thanks, bro. I appreciate the reply.

And that is why the thread went like it did. Unless someone comes in trolling or starts acting like a dick this sub forum is essentially respectful troll free to real or serious questions and topics. The only trolling that goes on if you want to call it that is regulars busting each others balls.

That's not trolling. That just sounds like a little fun among friends.

if you want low maintenance and high reliability, get a revolver.

if you go semi auto, check reliability, function and accuracy reviews. CZ 75b is one of the most reliable accurate pistols around. if you get a 9mm handgun...i would strongly consider it.

Ar is a solid choice for home defense. they can permanently damage your heading if fired indoors according to some. many will have ear protection close to their defense weapon.

Thanks, man. My wife wants me to pick the matching .38 revolver like hers ( but definitely not with a pink handle like hers <45>) but I'm leaning toward one of the Glocks that my father in law has for me to choose from. But, of course, I could decide that I like the feel of the revolver better. we shall see.
I've never been any sort of a gun enthusiast before but now that I'm obligated to my father in law to choose one & learn how to use it, I'm intrigued. Not enough to want to cc though. Which apparently I can do in Arizona. I'll let my wife carry her gun in her bag like she used to though & I'll handle the unarmed threats. Which, in Sedona, might be an overly enthusiastic hippy trying to sell us crystals or patchouli. LOL.
Seriously though, maybe down the line, I might decide to cc but I doubt if it will be anytime soon. I like the idea of my wife armed though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back