Where does Conor rank on all time goat lists?

Here’s one corroborating what @Jackonfire said— that José had to drop his FW belt if he wanted to compete for another. Conor, of course, had to do no such thing. He didn’t even have to defend his belt first. Not sure what to tell you if you don’t like my sources or don’t remember this.
https://www.mmaweekly.com/jose-aldo...enge-anthony-pettis-for-ufc-lightweight-title

Now thats better.
But its one of those "coulda ,woulda, shoulda" isnt it? It was just never in his cards to be champ champ.

I think an aldo pettis would have been a great matchup, sucks we never saw it.

That being said, we can only judge by accomplishments. Beating two champions is an exclusive club to be in.

Last edited:
top 20-25. smoking aldo, poirier, mendes and alvarez the way he did plus holding a dominant win over a young max holloway. add in the mystique and he’s definitely an ATG.

Now thats better.
But its one of those "coulda ,woulda, shoulda" isnt it? It was just never in his cards to be champ champ.
I think an aldo pettis would have been a great matchup, sucks we never saw it.

That being said, we can only judge by accomplishments. Beating two champions is an exclusive club to be in.
That’s my point. “It wasn’t in his cards” because Dana refused to let it be in the cards. I guess it “wasn’t in the cards” for Conor to have to defend a belt? Conor got special treatment, as per usual. Once fighters were allowed to fight for champ-champ status, we saw more of them. Except Cormier and Cejudo actually defended their belts. Even Bellator is making Bader defend both of his belts. It’s still an exclusive club, you’re right about that. But for Conor it comes with a huge asterisk. Is it a good accomplishment? Of course. But does it make him a GOAT candidate? No way, not with all of the gifts and special treatment he got. Just my opinion of course, that’s all GOAT talk is for the most part.

That’s my point. “It wasn’t in his cards” because Dana refused to let it be in the cards. I guess it “wasn’t in the cards” for Conor to have to defend a belt? Conor got special treatment, as per usual. Once fighters were allowed to fight for champ-champ status, we saw more of them. Except Cormier and Cejudo actually defended their belts. Even Bellator is making Bader defend both of his belts. It’s still an exclusive club, you’re right about that. But for Conor it comes with a huge asterisk. Is it a good accomplishment? Of course. But does it make him a GOAT candidate? No way, not with all of the gifts and special treatment he got. Just my opinion of course, that’s all GOAT talk is for the most part.

connor got special treatment like gsp got special treatment he was given an immediate title match.

He earned that treatment by being a megastar selling record ppv numbers. He was smart enough to create leverage by being an extreme draw and then was smart enough to use the leverage to his advantage.

connor got special treatment like gsp got special treatment he was given an immediate title match.

He earned that treatment by being a megastar selling record ppv numbers. He was smart enough to create leverage by being an extreme draw and then was smart enough to use the leverage to his advantage.
GSP got that fight by virtue of being a welterweight king who defended his belt multiple, multiple times. Seeing him challenge for another belt was a big fight. Conor got his fight because it’s what he wanted, and like you said, he’s a huge draw. That’s actually where his beat accomplishments lie IMO. If the “GOAT list” we were debating was Greatest PPV draw Of All Time,” Conor is #1 without a doubt. But Greatest MMA fighter of All Time? That’s a list for Fedor, GSP, Anderson, Jones, maybe Aldo or Stipe, and (in WMMA) Nunes, Cyborg, and Rousey. Conor shouldn’t even be in the discussion.

giphy.gif

I would have him on #26 of the 25 best fighters of all time! For sure....

GSP got that fight by virtue of being a welterweight king who defended his belt multiple, multiple times. Seeing him challenge for another belt was a big fight. Conor got his fight because it’s what he wanted, and like you said, he’s a huge draw. That’s actually where his beat accomplishments lie IMO. If the “GOAT list” we were debating was Greatest PPV draw Of All Time,” Conor is #1 without a doubt. But Greatest MMA fighter of All Time? That’s a list for Fedor, GSP, Anderson, Jones, maybe Aldo or Stipe, and (in WMMA) Nunes, Cyborg, and Rousey. Conor shouldn’t even be in the discussion.

GSP was also retired for years, came back and got an immediate title shot. Gsp didnt earn his shot, especially since he had years to challenge anderson.

IMHO.. 15-20. McGregor set ablaze the FW division in his ascend to the top, dethroned a legend in 13 seconds, became first double champ. Put on exciting and entertaining fights with frequent knockouts. Probably the most popular fighter ever, has definitely made the most money. He’s revolutionized the game, to not place him in the top 20 is a bad list.

Also, a sitting champion should not "earn his titleshot" against a champ when going up.
Challenging down a division is less interesting imho.

Faber? Really? Dude couldn’t even a title once and went down to BW and still failed.

And Alex Volkanovski? You know the FW champ who beat your #1 and #2 picks and happens to be undefeated in UFC. Probably not even top10, I guess?

Keep watching for a few more years so you can see fighters age and you'll understand how it works.

That’s not the same. Also let’s compare Volk and Faber:

UFC champ > WEC champ
21-1 > 35-11 MMA record
8-0 > 11-7 in UFC
Won Aldo > lost to Aldo

What makes Faber better than Volk? Your nostalgia?

Faber was 21-1 with 17 finishes and five title defenses when he lost the FW title to Brown.

tenor.gif
Speak truth to me lawd Jesus

IMHO.. 15-20. McGregor set ablaze the FW division in his ascend to the top, dethroned a legend in 13 seconds, became first double champ. Put on exciting and entertaining fights with frequent knockouts. Probably the most popular fighter ever, has definitely made the most money. He’s revolutionized the game, to not place him in the top 20 is a bad list.
Revolutionized the game in what way? I think his greatest contributions are that he’s managed to make unheard of paydays, and helped this to creep up for others too. Not even just in McGregor fights either—Ronda made a 2 mil purse when she fought Nunes, MMA fighters never made this type of money before Conor.

Also, a sitting champion should not "earn his titleshot" against a champ when going up.
Challenging down a division is less interesting imho.
I think we should draw a distinction between earning a title shot in another class, and defending your belt against contenders. I get that GSP had been out of the game, I think that’s a relevant point. But while he wasn’t a sitting champ, he also had never lost the belt despite being an active defending champion. He was a 2x WW champ who had defended that belt 10 times. So I don’t think his return to challenge for a 2nd belt is undeserved. Cormier defended his LHW belt 4x, and challenged for a title in a weight class he was previously in. As a HW he was 13-0, with wins over Monson, Barnett, Bigfoot, Mir, and Nelson. Conor has nothing like this on his resume. He was allowed to fight for a second belt without ever defending the first one. When he won the 2nd belt, he still didn’t defend the first one. And then, he didn’t even defend the 2nd one.

edit: I meant to add this. Not only had he not defended, and not fought at 155, but the one thing he did even involving that class was fight lightweight Diaz at 170, and Conor got smoked. Record books say he avenged the loss (I have Diaz winning rds 3, 4, and 5), so Conor gets a title shot? Laughable.
tenor.gif
Speak truth to me lawd Jesus
Gotta preach to em man. Conor as GOAT MMA showman/promoter? Sure. GOAT fighter though?? Nope.

Last edited:
Whichever way you look at it, he's #1.

If you're talking business and the effect he's had on the sport, it's a no-brainer. He's the most famous fighter, made the most money, brought in most new fans, and been most entertaining.

If you're talking titles, rankings, and records, it's more debatable, but a case could be made that he's #1. First ever champ-champ. Stellar list of names. 20 out of 22 wins by finish.

If you're talking simply being GOAT fighter, then Conor is likely #1. He's the best lightweigtht of all time, and lightweight is the best division. By far the best striker in MMA history, with the best precision striking, knockout power, a great chin, great TDD, very good on the ground, and can fight going forwards or backwards. Cardio is pretty much the only negative.

Whichever way you look at it, he's #1.

If you're talking business and the effect he's had on the sport, it's a no-brainer. He's the most famous fighter, made the most money, brought in most new fans, and been most entertaining.

If you're talking titles, rankings, and records, it's more debatable, but a case could be made that he's #1. First ever champ-champ. Stellar list of names. 20 out of 22 wins by finish.

If you're talking simply being GOAT fighter, then Conor is likely #1. He's the best lightweigtht of all time, and lightweight is the best division. By far the best striker in MMA history, with the best precision striking, knockout power, a great chin, great TDD, very good on the ground, and can fight going forwards or backwards. Cardio is pretty much the only negative.
The “best lightweight of all time” is 1-1 at 155 lbs?!? Those are some pretty low standards. If we include his excursions to 170 to fight other lightweights, he’s 3-2, and arguably should be 2-3. When was Conor very good on the ground? A GOAT like Anderson was very good on the ground against Marquardt, Lutter, Chael, Hendo. Conor got beat up by Mendes, choked by Diaz, and dominated by Khabib.

The “best lightweight of all time” is 1-1 at 155 lbs?!? Those are some pretty low standards. If we include his excursions to 170 to fight other lightweights, he’s 3-2, and arguably should be 2-3. When was Conor very good on the ground? A GOAT like Anderson was very good on the ground against Marquardt, Lutter, Chael, Hendo. Conor got beat up by Mendes, choked by Diaz, and dominated by Khabib.
When I say he's the best lightweight of all time, I'm referring to skills and styles, not records. He does the best against the rest of the division, of all fighters.

Got up repeatedly against Mendes, escaped guillotine, swept Diaz, sub loss was due to cardio and complacency on the feet, and he contained Khabib better than most on the ground.

Back