Where does Leon rank all time at WW? Usman, Gsp, Woodley, Hughes, Lawler, Penn.

Where would you rank Leon?

Gsp
Usman/Leon
Woodley
Hughes
Not even in the same fucking league as any of those.

He has to fight more often and actually start racking up some title defences before he's discussed in the same way as the WW greats,

Where would you rank Leon?

Gsp
Usman/Leon
Woodley
Hughes
Edwards hasn't even broken into the top five for all-time Welterweights, so this topic is premature.

Top ten ranked wins at Welterweight (based on FightMatrix):

(16) Georges St-Pierre
(12) Matt Hughes
(8) Kamaru Usman
(7) Robbie Lawler
(5) Tyron Woodley
(5) Johny Hendricks
(3) Leon Edwards

Beating Usman 2x is not nothing.
Usman was out of his prime and so was Colby. Let’s not try to decontextualize this. If he beats shavkat and Belaal then sure, I feel comfortable putting up in the top 5.

1. GSP
2. Hughes
3. Usman
4. Woodley
5. Contested but soon to be Edwards

Too simplistic to rate solely on number of title defenses imo.

Obviously you have to account for the era each guy fought in, but just as an example Leon's 2 wins over Usman and his win over Colby are more impressive than any in Miletich's whole career, for example.

Miletich fought in a completely different era of MMA that barely resembles the sport today, and I don't mean from an in ring perspective.

While he was able to rack up a few title defenses against some meh competition. He also was allowed to fight for other promotions and he lost something like 4 fights in other promotions while being the active UFC champion. It was just a different time and it's not easy to compare the accomplishments of pioneers with those of elite fighters that came after, who fought only for the UFC against consistently great opposition.
Nah era doesn't matter, Milletich is from that era and he beat fighters equal to him. It's not like he is today's fighter but travelled back in time

1. GSP
2. Usman
3. Hughes
4. Woodley
5. Lawler/Edwards

I have him ranked as maybe the 50th WW of all time.

Dude got rocked by bum Nate and did the chicken dance lol.

Welterweight title defences in the UFC:

Pat Miletich - 4
Matt Hughes - 7
GSP - 9
Robbie Lawler - 2
Tyron Woodley - 4
Kamaru Usman - 5
Leon Edwards - 2

So by the above metric, GSP is 1, Hughes 2, Usman 3, Woodley and Miletich tied for 4, Lawler and Edwards tied for 6.
Militech if I recall correctly lost fights outside the UFC during his title reign and had pretty damn weak competition relative to other champs.

1 GSP
<--- decent gap
2 Hughes

3 Usman
4 Woodley
5 Leon
6 Robbie
7 Militech
8 Hendricks
9 Condit
10 Fitch or Nick Diaz maybe Newton

Usman was out of his prime and so was Colby. Let’s not try to decontextualize this. If he beats shavkat and Belaal then sure, I feel comfortable putting up in the top 5.
Usman was not out of his prime he had knocked out cold masvidal and dominated burns. Usman looked better than ever leading up to the second Leon fight he was a heavy favourite

Early imo but if he wins a couple more he should be right after Huges and above Usman, Usman has 2 title defences that are rematches VS guys he just beat. Semi shot Masvidal and Colby & he struggled VS colby in both fights.

Usman was not out of his prime he had knocked out cold masvidal and dominated burns. Usman looked better than ever leading up to the second Leon fight he was a heavy favourite
Burns is a fine win, but the Masvidal wins don’t mean much at all to me. Mas was always a better LW than WW, was a short-notice replacement the first time he fought Usman which he otherwise wasn’t in line for, and somehow his being short notice was used as a justification for a rematch lol.

I’d put Leon towards the bottom of my all time WW top 10, if he’s there at all.

Leon Edwards did okay in the UFC.

Back