International Where was you / what was you doing when 9/11 happened?

I was in college learning about present and past tense words like were and was.
You learned that in college? Must have been community college…..

I knew of OBL at the time, I was 19. But I don't think I ever mentioned his name or ever thought of him that much. Not enough to joke about it in my head at work. That is pretty nuts man

OBL wasn’t a household name until that day but he was known and was on the FBI top ten wanted list prior to 9/11. Your response is similar to everyone’s that I have told this story to. At that time, I was taking criminal justice classes at a local college, I was also considering joining the Army. I’ve always been a bit of a crime nerd, researching a lot about bombings, attacks, serial killers etc. I can only assume that is how I knew of OBL prior.

I was in sixth grade, didn't hear about it until I got home.

Just a couple of weeks before 9/11, there was a guy that flew an ultralight (or one of those parachutes with a fan attached - like FanMan from Holyfied/Bowel II) and got tangled in the statue of liberty's torch.

When I first heard about the first plane, I assumed something like that happened again.
There was also that Yankees pitcher that died about a year before in a flight training accident. I think the majority of people didn't think it was an attack until the second plane hit.

A new documentary has just hit Netflix. I'm currently half way through.

I've seen so many 9/11 documentaries, but I always make room and watch a new one. They're very upsetting but also very interesting.

This one delves into the Taliban and the attacks in 1979 in Afganistan, etc.

To the topic...

I was in a Science class in school, I think I was year 8 or 9 at the time.

My Science teacher put the news on on the TV, and we watched as these were unfolding. I was very young at the time so didn't pay too much attention, but I did watch it, not many in the class did though.

What's up with the thread title?
iu

There was also that Yankees pitcher that died about a year before in a flight training accident. I think the majority of people didn't think it was an attack until the second plane hit.
Corey Lidle? That was 5 years after 9/11.

I
OBL wasn’t a household name until that day but he was known and was on the FBI top ten wanted list prior to 9/11. Your response is similar to everyone’s that I have told this story to. At that time, I was taking criminal justice classes at a local college, I was also considering joining the Army. I’ve always been a bit of a crime nerd, researching a lot about bombings, attacks, serial killers etc. I can only assume that is how I knew of OBL prior.
I mean I think I heard his name after the African embassies were banned. Basically if you said the name I might have knew it but I wasn’t able to use his name.
Definitely a weird coincidence

Corey Lidle? That was 5 years after 9/11.
I'm not really a baseball fan so don't remember the name, and maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but when I woke up after the first Tower was hit I thought it was just an accident like the one that had happened recently.

I was replacing the coupler between the hydraulic motor and the magnet generator on a 1999 model Altas 1804 Material handler.

I just started grade 9 and was home sick that day with an ear infection or something. Came down for breakfast and saw the 1st tower smoking on the TV and was glued to the TV the whole day.

Back