Who would win Prime Rampage or Prime Jan

Rampage rarely used his wrestling. And it didn't help him at all in Pride against Wand or Shogun--who both had mediocre TDD.

Rampage used his wrestling quite a bit in PRIDE. You should watch some of his fights.

Rampage used his wrestling quite a bit in PRIDE. You should watch some of his fights.
I have. Like I said, he didn't use it at all against strikers like Wand and Shogun. MMA has also evolved. Prime Jan's wrestling is good enough to keep Rampage from doing much...it's not like he has Glover's submission skills or really like to be on the ground for a long time.

I have. Like I said, he didn't use it at all against strikers like Wand and Shogun. MMA has also evolved. Prime Jan's wrestling is good enough to keep Rampage from doing much...it's not like he has Glover's submission skills or really like to be on the ground for a long time.
Rampage did better against prime Glover tougth

Rampage was one of the top guys during the best time of the 205 div.

The Pride version of him would've taken Jan down and beaten him via top game, as Jan showed in both the Gus and Glover fights that he can't escape from the bottom, plays closed guard for the full round.

The early UFC version of Rampage was a counter boxer, one of the best in the sport, as seen in the Chuck and Wand fights, the covering rolls. Jan can outpoint that version, but he's also at risk in every exchange. Quinton not so much, as his defense was great when coached by Ibarra.

Prime Rampage had great wrestling, really good clinch and a good top game. Gus and Cummins topfucked Jan and Rampage would do the same. You dont need a Glover top game to keep Jan down. Hes been shite off his back his whole career completely clueless on how to sweep, attempt meaningful subs or get back to his feet. Shot Jacare forced a SD against Jan just off failed TDs and a clinch threat. Rampage would easily win.
This was my initial reaction. Pre-Juanito Rampage would smoke him. Post-Juanito would also.

Rampage rarely used his wrestling. And it didn't help him at all in Pride against Wand or Shogun--who both had mediocre TDD.
He was controlling wand on the ground in one of their fights when it got stood up for no reason. He used his wrestling against chuck in their first fight and against Dan.

He used it against Wand... In both fights. Lol did you watch them? And Shogun blitzed him immediately and rekt him. Rampage didn't do anything in that fight. It was the most one sided loss of his prime.

He used his wrestling against Chuck and Igor. He used it successfully against grapplers too much better grapplers than Jan like Bustamante, Ninja, Arona, Lindland.

You don't need Glover's sub skills or top control to keep Jan down. Gus and Patrick Cummins had no issues with it and prime Rampage was a better wrestler with a better top game than either.

Not fair cause Prime Rampage did not have to abide by USADA

Imagine a Pride version of Jan

Jan is at that age, but , yeah I can not even answer this question because of the timing of Jan getting that belt...

I think Jan could pull it off because of his overall ability. But Rampage could but Jan on his back? Rampage does well against people with his own hand speed range too. I give a slight edge to Rampage but I know I am overlooking Jan when I say that. Both lost to Glover but Jan did not look himself imo.

Patrick Cummins had no issues with it and prime Rampage was a better wrestler with a better top game than either.
Wow, I can't take anything you take seriously when you say stuff like this. Cummins was a 2X, D1 All-American and U.S. National Team member. He was brought in to train with Olympian Cormier. Rampage was a juco wrestler. Yes, so was Jon Jones and GSP had no wrestling background, but those guys both outwresled 5 or 6 D1 guys during title defenses so they earned their elite MMA wrestling credentials. Rampage was easily outwrestled by Bader and arguably by Matt Lindland who was much smaller. Hendo was also smaller and in his late 30s and hadn't been an active MMA wrestler in years when he fought Rampage (he fell in love with his heavy hands early in his career).

Prime chuck and prime Hendo were undersized Japanese fighters?
Chuck was 38 and ended up losing to Jardine a few months later....and then got KO'd in 4 of his next 5 fights after that (I'm not counting the fight he had with Tito a few years ago). He was well past his prime when he fought Rampage. He'd only kept his belt because he had so many favorable match-ups with grapplers. But even in his rematch with Tito that he won, Chuck was showing clear signs of slowing down.

Hendo was a good fighter but he gave Rampage everything he could handle for 5 rounds. Not long after that, Hendo tried to win the MW belt and Anderson Silva obliterated him in a way that Rampage could only dream about.

Chain vs. Noose match. Book it Dana.

I think Jan would strike from the outside and win. And since this is a completely hypothetical fight my opinion is 100% correct.

I honestly can't say. Personally that matchup would probably be fun to watch. I don't think anyone doubts that. I just don't know who would win. It will be good reading both sides though as this goes on....... maybe????
<6>

Back