Who's the worst #1 overall draft pick in sports?

Jamarcus Russel hustled the shit out of the Raiders.

Is it possible to be a worse pick than Mandarich? 5 can't miss prospects and he was the only one to miss.

In the NBA has to be Hasheem Thabeet.
Not just can't miss prospects but literally surrounded by hall of famers. Mandarich took a shot ton of steroids and gamed the combine to get there, but he absolutely did not belong in that group.

I thought Sam Bowie, but he was drafted #2 in 1984. Probably the worse #2 overall draft pick in NBA history. When you consider Michael Jordan came in 3rd pick. Olajuwon was first overall.

What a weird feeling for Sam Bowie.

So who's the worst 1st overall pick in sports?

1*PyKfQg56DqvuzVMm8YjEWg.jpeg
no poll?

so unlike you

I hope Zion doesn't make this list but it should be noted that he is on the clock. One of the biggest stars coming out of college in years.

It's tough with him, because anyone could see that he has extreme talent that deserves to go #1. However, anybody could also see that a guy that size playing that style, is not gonna have a long career, and will probably never play a full season.

Are you serious? Wow that's insane. #1 overall picks in baseball is just huge facade really. You never know how these guys will turn out.
Is chipper Jones not in the hall of fame?

Yeah and he was way below expectations for a #1 pick the entire time. Played one full season, only suited up over 70 times for three seasons. Like I said, he wasn’t the worst, but he was a bust.

His draft class had Zach Randolph, Tony Parker, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Eddy Curry, Jason Richardson, Gilbert Arenas, Shane Battier, Richard Jefferson… even centers taken in the second round like Mehmet Okhur had better careers than Kwame. When you’re taken #1 and have one of the worst careers of anyone drafted it’s a bad pick.
Lmao @ these soft ass qualifiers

most players don’t play full season and kwame was at least a role player, there are guys who were much worse

also loling @ the Zion takes

he could never dribble a ball again and wouldn’t be a bust. The dude terrorizes the court when he’s on

This thread is full of amazingly shitty takes

Nobody mentioned my boy Kwame Brown?

He might not be the worst, but he’s worth a mention as a very terrible #1 pick lol

I think Anthony Bennett is probably the worst
Lmao @ these soft ass qualifiers

most players don’t play full season and kwame was at least a role player, there are guys who were much worse

he could never dribble a ball again and wouldn’t be a bust. The dude terrorizes the court when he’s on

Lol at this bump. In my first post I say Bennet is the worst but that Kwame was still bad for a #1. I was living in DC at the time he was drafted hence why I mentioned him and referred to him as “my boy.”

JaCarcus releasing that short story "you dont know a damn thing about JaMarcus" or some bs was comedy. Basically him making excuses for being a lazy pos and him being okay with it.

That's not the context, you need to keep up with the thread. He isn't a nominee for the #1 bust. He's already did more in his rookie season alone to jump out of that pit.

The comparison was to other #1 draft picks like Olowokandi, Kwame, and most specifically, Ben Simmons. Ben has also been a very gifted player who has put up very strong production. His critical free throw woes in one playoff series don't discount that. But since it is increasingly looking like he's too scared to ever actually play a game, he's such a fragile little bitchass snowflake, his career production as a #1 pick is putting him in the Top 10 draft busts in NBA history at that pick. That could prove the same fate for Zion if he can't stay healthy. After all, Greg Oden is often mentioned as the biggest bust in NBA history, but it wasn't because he wasn't an incredible player. It was simply because he couldn't play.

He wasn't a #1 pick, but Len Bias would be another name in this category.

That Chinese soccer club that paid Tevez like 800k a week for him to get fat and talk shit about Chinese soccer. Total was close to 40mill for doing jack shit.

Back