Why do people trash Ngannou's striking?

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This isnt boxing or kickboxing. Technicality rules the day in those sports but not as much in MMA. Its effectiveness is what counts more. Shit there are plenty of examples of super skilled strikers being KOd by grapplers. We have seen countless examples of more technical/skilled strikers getting beaten by 'lesser strikers' in MMA.

PyNyUW.gif

The fundamentals of boxing and kickboxing are different to MMA. The gloves, grappling, and cage change everything. Hes obviously not the best striker but hes definitely not bad.

PertinentOrdinaryAllosaurus-max-1mb.gif

He has good physical attributes and he uses it to his advantage, that is a skill in and of itself yet he gets no credit.There are plenty of fighters that fail at utilizing their attributes better- like Struve and distance management. Hell look at Jones who is universally considered one of the smartest fighters but imagine him with a Hearns like jab.

giphy.gif

Now the obvious reply I'm expecting is that sloppy shit he finished Rozenstruik with. I agree it is terrible technique and he only got away with it because hes effective. But its point in case: Effectiveness > skill in MMA due to those small gloves, cage, and grappling especially at HW.

LightheartedScrawnyAntelopegroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

He doesnr have to be in there looking like Cro Cop or Adesanya to do what does. Hes not a shit striker, hes effective and that's what matters.

People think everything has to look good according to how a coach would rate your technique without understanding in mma if you're effective you are effective. Look at how poor Askren, Maia and Chiesa are at striking and how high they got. In mma it's a fight and you can be sloppy and succeed

Ngannou is a lot like Cody Garbrandt; they both have a tendency to swing wild and do stupid shit, but when they're composed and being patient they're among the best technical strikers in their divisions. Problem is they both swing wild a bit too often and those sequences are the ones that most of us remember.

It's heavyweight mma. he get's away with shit that wouldn't fly in other divisions, because HW mma is trash
i used to not think so but my perception changed over time so i agree.

Honest Question: If you were a fighter, would want to learn how to strike from Francis?
Bro what kind of question is that? You know good fighters dont automatically become good coaches. For the sake of argument he could be a bad striker like you claim and still be a great coach.

Either way yeah I would learn from him. I'm not too arrogant to think I cant learn something from a professional fighter even if they are a 'bad' striker.

Tbh in most cases his opponent was at fault.

My theory is that he is so ungainly in his striking that people get too comfortable around him.

I'm no Ngannou fan, but that seems to be what happens. Overeem shoukd have known way better for example.

It's heavyweight mma. he get's away with shit that wouldn't fly in other divisions, because HW mma is trash
It isn't because HW mma is trash (it is) it's TRUE of all HW combat sports. People shit on Wilder for the same shit but he had like 40 KOs out like 41 fights before Fury or some shit like that. It's the power that changes it. You dont have to be super technical at HW, it helps but the power and speed does more.

It isn't because HW mma is trash (it is) it's TRUE of all HW combat sports. People shit on Wilder for the same shit but he had like 40 KOs out like 41 fights before Fury or some shit like that. It's the power that changes it. You dont have to be super technical at HW, it helps but the power and speed does more.
Wilder also fought a list of bums that would have made Joe Louis' bum of the month club look good.

Having bad technique doesn't always mean you're going to get found out and exposed, depends how frequently you rely on it for that hole to be seen and exposed..
Ngannou's fights are sooo quick, there's very little to go off on what his approach might be and what pace will be set... Even his shots that are poorly set up or show bad technique are fast and explosive, which is more than just being effective, it's a legit threat regardless of how technically superior you might be..

This shit is also effective, but in a completely different way.
giphy.gif

Wilder also fought a list of bums that would have made Joe Louis' bum of the month club look good.
I guess we should discredit Khabib for the same reasons? I mean that's boxing especially now they build up that 0.

Back