Why is Mousasi never brought up in GOAT discussions?

The word GOAT = Greatest of all time

For Moose to be considered one, he didnt need a ufc belt, but he had have to have at least shown in his record that he beat the best. I didnt see that.

Now this year Moose was considered by many fans to be in his Prime, yet he got manhandled badly by an unknown fighter - in Bellator. Its just a bad look and exposed his terrible t.d.d compared to say The Reaper

The GOAT anyways is Silva and catching up is Whittaker
" manhandled by an unknown " - once again ( sorry- I really hate coming down on you) but you either didnt see fight ( even one judge was, at least, paying attention) , you need glasses and outside of RANKED UFC FIGHTERS- you dont know your ass from your elbow.

I almost feel bad and I pretty much ignore most of your posts by now ( concerning moose) unless u take me up on my generous bet offer.

If your not thee goat, why would you be brought up in the discussion? The GOAT doesnt mean the greatest over the last few years, or the greatest of your generation, its means the greatest of all time. Im not sure what other goat you could b e now days. But there should only be 1 goat and then 1 goat per weight class. But I guess we still live in the era where everyone gets a trophy.
That's the way YOU look at it and your entitled to that. I take goat category serious and I dont reduce it down to 1 fighter. I have 2 tiers consisting of at least a dozen but less than 20-25..... but that's me and there have been thousands of fighters in a sport where its infancy wasnt THAT long ago ( compared to other sports).

You're entitled to your opinion.

The general misunderstandin´ here is that people fail to understand that Mousasi was 1st & foremost an OW dude, basically.
His career is consequently kindah tricky to assess.

He's definitely good.

The stand outs on his list aren't good enough for GOAT. He's somewhere in a large pack with a number of other MW's, though he's definitely good.

Even mousasi thinks he lost that one
He's said it several times
He didnt use the word " think". He said and I quote " I lost the fight and should've won despite that I gave my opponent too much respect and I think he was obviously on something......and I still shouldve won( based on his talent vs lovato- I'm not saying that he thought he won, either.I dont want you to take out of context).
I think he was disappointed in his performance but taking everything in consideration, I thought he fought rather well and he was champ going in ....and it was mma not a bjj tournament or polaris.
Again, we saw passive mousasi but it was because he had to fight a bit " apologetic " due to the style and size of opponent .
One judge got it right ( or , at least acceptable).
You can cry semantics but the devil is in the details and was more vocal about his opponents size and tired of people getting popped or warned AFTER they fight mousasi. The fact of the matter is he s ended up correct in almost every guy hes accused ( drink that in).
I haven't heard him talk too much about the actual decision.

Hey- I even admit ( and have so on many occasions unlike 95% of sherdog) that I have bias ( lol- it's rather obvious anyway) but still try and keep it real. Even certain guys I go back and forth with, I clearly admit Mousasi can win OR LOSE against the top guys at mw today.

Sometimes I'm misunderstood cause I type in lengthy positive posts about Gegard Mousasi and people, by nature, aren't crazy about things like that but that's ok. I am who I am.

Nah I like Mousasi but he's like a Cerrone type, good at putting win streaks together of the mid-tier guys but when it's time to face the top 3 he loses.

A great fighter but not GOAT at all. Not that many big names on his record and lost a few fights when it mattered most.

If you were to say GOAT outside of the UFC I could see an argument but his record is full of no names with a handful of big name fighters.

I'm not shitting on him though long ass career with a lot of belts outside of the UFC including Bellator, DREAM and Strikeforce.

When he left the UFC he was on a 5 fight win streak. I wish he would have stuck around for a few more fights to grab that belt but I realize that's more Dana's fault than Moose.
Top 10 all time for sure.

He didnt use the word " think". He said and I quote " I lost the fight and should've won despite that I gave my opponent too much respect and I think he was obviously on something......and I still shouldve won( based on his talent vs lovato- I'm not saying that he thought he won, either.I dont want you to take out of context).
I think he was disappointed in his performance but taking everything in consideration, I thought he fought rather well and he was champ going in ....and it was mma not a bjj tournament or polaris.
Again, we saw passive mousasi but it was because he had to fight a bit " apologetic " due to the style and size of opponent .
You can cry semantics but the devil is in the details and was more vocal about his opponents size and tired of people getting popped or warned AFTER they fight mousasi. The fact of the matter is he s ended up correct in almost every guy hes accused ( drink that in).

Hey- I even admit ( and have so on many occasions unlike 95% of sherdog) that I have bias ( lol- it's rather obvious anyway) but still try and keep it real. Even certain guys I go back and forth with, I clearly admit Mousasi can win OR LOSE against the top guys at mw today.

Sometimes I'm misunderstood cause I type in lengthy positive posts about Gegard Mousasi and people, by nature, aren't crazy about things like that but that's ok. I am who I am.

I was talking about machida

My bad- I had machida too BUT ALOT closer than hometown judging. Mousasi outsruck him 66-35 but lost significant strike battle and 5th round.I had lyoto 48-47.
He( mousasi) also coming off back to back acl tears and first fight back at 185 in several years.

He has longevity and alot of really nice wins that aged well. He never had UFC gold but he had the bellator belt for a good while, he also beat rory who I had really high on the WW all time list. The only blemish that looks bad is his loss to Hall which he avenged.

Is he universally considered a top 3 MW and a Top 10 fighter P4P?
Not only you've answered you question, but you also consider his win over a WW as a great accomplishment, and disregard his losses to other MW's...
I like Mousasi, but he fails to beat the top, he is obviously not exactly a guy to be anywhere GOAT talks.

GOAT are about dominant champions who had dominant reigns.
Mou never had any of that.

He has longevity and alot of really nice wins that aged well. He never had UFC gold but he had the bellator belt for a good while, he also beat rory who I had really high on the WW all time list. The only blemish that looks bad is his loss to Hall which he avenged.

Is he universally considered a top 3 MW and a Top 10 fighter P4P?

I think the tipping point on his resume for a lot of people was the Machida fight.

There would have been a title shot vs Weidman if he won (and he destroyed Weidman and made him quit later on).

You make a fair point though. His long resume spans a couple generations of MMA fighters (an MMA generation is 6-8 years).
He could be Top 3 MW of all time.
Some fans are just obsessed with the idea of holding UFC gold and the amount of fights someone wins while being #1.

That's the way YOU look at it and your entitled to that. I take goat category serious and I dont reduce it down to 1 fighter. I have 2 tiers consisting of at least a dozen but less than 20-25..... but that's me and there have been thousands of fighters in a sport where its infancy wasnt THAT long ago ( compared to other sports).

You're entitled to your opinion.

Thats not my opinion, that is the definition of GOAT in sports. What your doing is a list of the greatest. But the actual definition of GOAT is one individual.

: the greatest of all time : the most accomplished and successful individual in the history of a particular sport or category of performance or activity

Last edited:
Cuz u made a tldr dumbass thread doesn’t make u right. Gegard’s takedown defense is caca dookie garbage and jac was ontop of him and nothing was gonna stop that. An upkick KO is a fluke maneuver just be default of it caused damage let alone a KO. The rematch also proved it was flukey as shit.
Nah,it´s jus´coz you´re an idiot, mate.

Back