Why is Paddy Pimblett so "popular"? Am I missing something

Steve Peterson retired after 8 UFC fights and most sherbros don't even know who he is.

Paddy is not amazing but he has personality. It will take you further than skills.

He's an exciting fighter but tbh I wasn't a fan of his before his YouTube videos popped up in my feed. They're entertaining and he seems like a solid dude.

I don’t get it either, but everyone else brought up good points. Also, for some reason, we Americans have this hard-on for British culture that makes no sense to me. I think the UFC knows that, and they try to exploit it by pushing guys like Bisping, Till, Pimblett, etc.

Well he is an exciting fighter most of the time. He is not top level imo, but maybe down the road he works is way into the top 15 or so. Personally I just see a moron who is flapping his gums trying to make money....he looks and acts like an angry version of Harry Dunne.
dumb-10.gif

Steve Peterson retired after 8 UFC fights and most sherbros don't even know who he is.

Paddy is not amazing but he has personality. It will take you further than skills.
Which is incredibly hard to believe, given the depth of knowledge of most posters here. It's strange to me that nobody has heard of Steven Peterson, especially with the slick spinning backfist KO to counter his opponent's spinning backfist.

Is it like Sugar? Popular with teens who don't buy PPV?

I'm going to wait until he headlines a PPV to see how popular he is.

He is talked about quite a lot on here. His recent Octagon interview has 1.5 million views. He has 2.5 million Instagram followers. In his past fights, I saw lots of fans wearing Paddy the Baddy shirts.

As a fighter, I looked at his record, he hasn't really had many UFC fights and his wins were not against anyone noteworthy.

I have seen some of his interviews. He doesn't seem that funny or charismatic. Although he did have a few good interviews about mental health which is good.

I don't see what the big deal is around this guy. Not hating on him btw, just genuinely curious how he got so big

Doesn't seem to be a humble fighter either

All I know is the Beatles and him have the same crappy barber.

I mean he's going to get demolished against anyone decent. It sucks that the Dober fight fell through. But he does put on exciting fights. He's like a less talented Gaethje.
He was popular way before anybody really saw him fight though. It’s not like he has a Gaethje like track record.

Someone must have thought this guy is chrismatic and marketable. Let's push this product. Little did they know that you must be atleast a mediocre fighter first.

He was popular way before anybody really saw him fight though. It’s not like he has a Gaethje like track record.

Locally sure. But he's gotten a huge push by the UFC trying to replicate their Conor like success. Problem is, he's just not that good. Which is why they're protecting him to an absurd degree.

to each their own but I wouldn't say it's a cool accent, just sounds like they have a bunch of phlegm stuck in their throat

I was just answering why people like him and lots of people seem to love his accent. Look at how many guys on here got a hard on when he talked about dog poo on a porch. I personally don’t like the guy. Just saying why people like him and as dumb as it seems, we all saw the dick riding on here when that video came out.

Which is incredibly hard to believe, given the depth of knowledge of most posters here. It's strange to me that nobody has heard of Steven Peterson, especially with the slick spinning backfist KO to counter his opponent's spinning backfist.

To follow up on the name recognition thing, Steven Peterson sounds like the most generic name you could possibly come up with. You see that name on a card and your brain just says 'random white guy'.

But I bet a lot of our brains also somehow remember 'Blood Diamond', which is just Israel Adesanya's shitty 0-2 training partner that has only fought on undercards and is just some guy called Mike.

Silly name privilege is a thing.

He gets a lot of regional support and UFC saw that first hand during their events in overseas. So they put some focus on him and got great results again when they had another show. So they are now putting the UFC hype machine behind him. He seems to be a big star where he from. They really support their athletes. He may not be big over here yet compared to how big he is overseas in his region.

Pretty much a Darren Till 2.0, UFC is hoping his career pans out better than Till's.

Back