With all due respect to the great Mike Tyson (also: About Awesome Kicks)

As the athletic level and talent level in MMA continues to push upwards you will see more of the unorthodox stuff attempted and landed.

no disrespect to the past MMA fighters but if you have someone like Forrest attempting that kick, it just looks like a joke because he is so slow and plodding. An opponent could run to the washroom and back before the kick completed.

I still find it hard to believe people are bitching about this.

I still find it hard to believe people are bitching about this.

What did you expect? This is Sherdog. People will take any chance they can get to cry about some perceived slight to a fighter they like.

Mike Tyson has some pull....I guess when you are Iron Mike you get your way once in a while...not like there is some objective criteria...it's all subjective.

i thought the TJ KO was more impressive. im not really convinced the kick is what truly knocked mark hunt out.

coming from a JDS fanboy.....

It is BS.....JDS KO was better

i thought the TJ KO was more impressive. im not really convinced the kick is what truly knocked mark hunt out.

coming from a JDS fanboy.....

I though that Grant's KO had follow up shots as well??

Actually, after jumping out of the cage, JDS tells Tyson to tell Dana to give the bonus to Grant. If that's what JDS wanted, then I don't see how it is an issue. Maybe JDS himself felt like Grant's win was more impressive.

lol that kick didnt even land flush. not even a knock out. tj grant > jds ko

If you really want to dissect it, you have to put in perspective that majority of those who pulled off the fancy kicks were a lot faster than their opponents.

Speed helped them dictate the fight a bit and allows them to try riskier moves like spin kicks and what not because they have the speed to avoid counters and to move out again.

Pettis is way faster than cerrone.
JDS way faster than hunt.
Vitor way faster than rockhold.
etc.

Speed plays a huge factor in these kicks. If the opponents are equal in speed, you won't be seeing much of those fancy stuff because it is much to risky at that point.

Last edited:
Calm down.

Look at it from the bright side, TJ Grant needs the money alot harder than Santos (who already got a bonus).

It's not about who needs more money, It's about which KO was better.

I agree. Spinning shit always wins. But I`m ok with TJ getting some extra cash.

To the people saying that the kick didn't KO Hunt, it was the punch afterwards; do you realize the same happened in both Vitor's KO of Rockhold and Andersons' KO of Vitor? In them both (maybe the Rockhold one is a better example) it was the barrage that KO'd the opponent. Do you now think it wasn't KOTN worthy because it wasn't the actual kick??

Some people just see what they want to see.

And to the people saying that KOing a fresh Maynard is more impressive than after 3 rounds of work. What if JDS thoroughly dominates Cain and KO's him in the 5th? Is that less impressive than the KO in 64 seconds of a fresh Cain in their first encounter?

Come on people!

At first I thought TJ didn't deserve the bonus. But think about it, he KO'd Gray fuckin Maynard. The man who should be 2-1 against Edgar. The man who was supposed to be a LW Champ.

You right TS. Tyson likes de punches and not even Dana's gonna argue with Iron Mike

I think that Junior Dos Santos could have easily won Knockout of the Night and I would absolutely love to see more spinning kicks in MMA. They're not necessary but they are very fun to watch. That being said TJ Grant had a good KO himself and one could argue that it was a more forceful KO than Junior's against an opponent who is very tough to finish. Junior's kick didn't exactly land flush. He clipped Hunt just enough to knock him out. If I were to choose between the two based on quality knockouts I would choose Grant. Dos Santos vs. Hunt absolutely earned Fight of the Night honors and the KO finish was the icing on the cake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back