With all due respect to the great Mike Tyson (also: About Awesome Kicks)

At first I thought TJ didn't deserve the bonus. But think about it, he KO'd Gray fuckin Maynard. The man who should be 2-1 against Edgar. The man who was supposed to be a LW Champ.

Maybe Edgar wasn't all that great to start with

Calm down.

Look at it from the bright side, TJ Grant needs the money alot harder than Santos (who already got a bonus).

This. Dos Santos has had his time in the spotlight. Grant's KO was a big deal and jettisoned him into a title shot.

I really like Grant and hope he knocks off Bendo.

It's not just that it was done to mark hunt, but the main thing that baffled me about it was it was a HEAVYWEIGHT that did it that made it so impressive

No one expects Grant to TKO Maynard so the award can go either way

It isn't a charity.

It isn't supposed to be an award to people who need the money more.

It is supposed to be an award for merit.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

because to some people, life is not a game show ... its real life. These 'awards' are a cool promotional tool for the UFC and adds extra motivation for fighters ... its always going to be subjective who deserves it or not. There is no clear answer who deserves it more, so most people see the human side of reality and realize that money would probably mean more to TJ's life than JDS's. I bet none of the fighters would give a damn about winning KOTN if there wasn't a $$ reward attached.

Last edited:
I agree with Mike.

TJ Grant came out and steam rolled Maynard to a TKO win... Grant was something of an under dog as well.

I think Grants KO was more exciting / impressive... even if JDS used a flashier technique and KO'd a guy with a brick for a head.

Back