With the coronavirus in mind, will you continue to roll?

I might start rolling because of the virus.

If you've been rolling up til now in the US, may as well keep doing so. You've likely already got it. We are the walking dead.

One thing this virus has revealed is that not everyone has proficiency in middle school math. People think cases are few in number so no big deal, but have no idea what an exponential curve looks like.

Worse are those who say the flu kills more. They don't even know how to multiply and take percentages.

i think the worst people are those that don’t even work in the health field and decides it’s time for everybody to panic.

I honestly hope I do get corvid-19. Me being a first responder, there’s a pretty damn good chance I will too. You know what’s going to happen then? I’m going to avoid people, I’ll get a fever and will feel sick for a couple days and then I’ll get on with my life.

You do you have a point in the fact that it does appear to be more infectious than the flu but as far as more lethal it’s not the point where everyone should be worried. As of our last briefing with our infectious disease physician team it appears to have an overall mortality of 0.3%. The flu is indeed lower, but 0.3% is nothing at all to be worried about. It does jump to 15% in the elderly and weak immune system pts though. However 15% is still far from a death sentence and even though a full treatment is not available the symptoms can be managed and controlled. Oddly enough young children seem to be pretty resistant to it. Usually the opposite is true.

i think the worst people are those that don’t even work in the health field and decides it’s time for everybody to panic.

I honestly hope I do get corvid-19. Me being a first responder, there’s a pretty damn good chance I will too. You know what’s going to happen then? I’m going to avoid people, I’ll get a fever and will feel sick for a couple days and then I’ll get on with my life.

You're a first responder, and you are nonchalant about potentially transmitting the virus to a vulnerable population, the people you are supposed to save. Great.

But it's ok, you work in the "health field" and know better. Better than what epidemiologists are saying. Better than all the cities totally shut down for no reason.

You're a first responder, and you are nonchalant about potentially transmitting the virus to a vulnerable population, the people you are supposed to save. Great.

But it's ok, you work in the "health field" and know better. Better than what epidemiologists are saying. Better than all the cities totally shut down for no reason.

People like you really bug us in the field btw.

first of all, don’t even talk like you have an idea of what epidemiologists are saying because you read some news article.

here’s a copy and paste from a local 30-year ER physician :

PEOPLE STOP THE INSANITY!!!!

In my 30 year medical career I’ve never seen such out of proportion craziness. It’s the media and the social media’s emphasis and continuous reporting of mortality that’s got everybody up in arms.

Everybody needs to relax! I’ve got news for you... We are all were all going to die...

But not from the coronavirus!

You’re at least 50 times more likely to die in a car accident tomorrow than from the virus but people don’t put their cars up on blocks and stock up on toilet paper and stay home.

The NBA didn’t cancel driving to their events, though certainly more people died in their car on way to NBA events then will ever be killed by the coronavirus!

If you were constantly getting inundated with the news and statistics about automobile fatalities you might hesitate to drive your car to go pick your kids up from school.

Knowing that there were just 3287 deaths from auto accidents yesterday you might consider riding your bike to work today.

Accidents, strokes, heart attacks, cancer, pneumonia, flesh eating bacteria, influenza they’re all out there still! And if the media emphasized the mortality statistics every day it would paralyze people in fear, just like the frenzied reporting is doing with this relatively mild infection.

This is artificial panic based upon the extremely disproportionate presentation of mortality statistics. The number of deaths from coronavirus versus the population of the world is infinitesimally tiny. You will not die from coronavirus!

Yes the coronavirus can kill people and yes just like you know somebody, or know somebody who knows somebody who died from cancer this year you might end up knowing somebody who knows somebody who died from coronavirus. But ignore the reporting! It is unrealistic out of proportion fear that’s paralyzing us.

I guarantee you in two months or sooner we will be laughing at the insanity (if we didn’t destroy our economy and society in the insane frenzy.)

So stop the panic, wash your hands, buckle up, you will be fine!

Jeff

lmao, how are you "in the field" any more than me? you are not a doctor or scientist, and you are just hearing what others are saying and cherry picking what you want to hear. you're like a mechanic thinking he can lecture others on sherdog about rocket science because he worked on some car engines.

what that doctor says is simply poor math, but i'm not surprised as it's not uncommon to hear someone major in biology because it doesn't have as much math requirements as other sciences.

You do you have a point in the fact that it does appear to be more infectious than the flu but as far as more lethal it’s not the point where everyone should be worried. As of our last briefing with our infectious disease physician team it appears to have an overall mortality of 0.3%. The flu is indeed lower, but 0.3% is nothing at all to be worried about. It does jump to 15% in the elderly and weak immune system pts though. However 15% is still far from a death sentence and even though a full treatment is not available the symptoms can be managed and controlled. Oddly enough young children seem to be pretty resistant to it. Usually the opposite is true.

Don't pull the healthcare worker shit. I work in healthcare and that doesn't mean I know more than the next guy about a virus

Don't pull the healthcare worker shit. I work in healthcare and that doesn't mean I know more than the next guy about a virus

fair enough, I guess technically a hospital janitor can be called “healthcare”

my point still stands though. If you guys want to panic and buy toilet paper, go ahead. Personally I’m going to keep living until i inevitably get corvid, take some time off in isolation playing Total War Warhammer 2 (underrated game btw) and then get on my with my life.

to my fellow grapplers, rest assured that no one worthwhile is telling everyone to panic.

Anthony Fauci

ive only done a real quick search on what he’s been saying and it looks like he’s been critical on the response to the testing of it and to that I’ll 100% agree that it’s been frustratingly lacking especially for us first responders. I’d really like them to test our sick pts so they can follow up with us and let us know if we should self quarantine. Matter of fact while he’s admitting it will probably spread more (I agree) he also cautions against panicking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...cautions-150-million-coronavirus-estimate.amp

Our gym closed today. This is incredibly tough for the gym owners. It is also a good decision from what I can see.

It is objectively false that no one worthwhile is seriously concerned. I won't argue that any further because it is like arguing if gravity exists.

Most humans have trouble understanding statistics. A true mortality of 0.3% is a pretty reasonable guess from what I have seen. Not so bad right?

Except for the fact that humans have no herd immunity to a novel virus so it spreads pandemic. It is another fact that this is a pandemic.

US population is 330M. 200M could get this in a pandemic. If the mortality rate is 0.3%, that means 600K dead. That is not trivial. That's more Americans than died in WWII. It would be a huge deal.

I read through the study on this published in The Lancet on Weds. Old and sick are indeed more vulnerable. "Old" is like 50+ and "sick" is a list of existing conditions that most Americans I know over 50 have anyway -- high blood pressure being one, etc.

My parents are 60+ and high risk. My grandparents are late 80s locked in their nursing home. This is nearly a death sentence if this spreads in their nursing home.

One of my active competitors is in Masters 7. You best believe I am worried about him.

Personally, at 34, I bet I do have a higher chance of dying in a car crash during my lifetime than dying of this corona virus right now. So is it a big deal?

It's "no big deal" in an 1800s sense where diseases like cholera and polio ravaged the population. Somehow people had gatherings and enjoyed life back then it seems.

It is a "big deal" in the modern sense that it's nicer to have a society where people are not dying from otherwise preventable diseases. Yes, it is going to hurt if my grandfather dies from this. It is going to especially hurt knowing that this particular disease will likely be no threat in a year or two once we have enough time to react with vaccines and treatment.

I like history. There are a lot of things about historical time periods that I wish I lived through. Having my parents die of preventable diseases while I just shrug and hit my opium tincture is not an 1800s America experience I wish to try.

lmao, how are you "in the field" any more than me? you are not a doctor or scientist, and you are just hearing what others are saying and cherry picking what you want to hear. you're like a mechanic thinking he can lecture others on sherdog about rocket science because he worked on some car engines.

what that doctor says is simply poor math, but i'm not surprised as it's not uncommon to hear someone major in biology because it doesn't have as much math requirements as other sciences.

I literally had this same experience this morning with another "in the field" guy who was at my son's bus stop.

This man is a pharmacist in a hospital. He agreed that all my math was correct, and he agreed that what I was saying was exactly in line with what all the experts at his hospital were saying.

However, he told me flat out that he simply did not believe them. He could not give a single concrete reason. He just did not believe them.

Pressed for a reason, he told me that he thinks this is all fake. In fact, he thinks all of the events of the world are fake. He thinks the 1918 Flu Pandemic was faked too. It was all set up by "those people" who control everything in our world since the beginning of time.

This man is college educated. This man lives in a very nice house. This man is considered learned in science and works in a learned profession.

fair enough, I guess technically a hospital janitor can be called “healthcare”

my point still stands though. If you guys want to panic and buy toilet paper, go ahead. Personally I’m going to keep living until i inevitably get corvid, take some time off in isolation playing Total War Warhammer 2 (underrated game btw) and then get on my with my life.

to my fellow grapplers, rest assured that no one worthwhile is telling everyone to panic.
I am no medical expert, but it seems like this attitude will be precisely what compounds the problem given what we are seeing in other countries. You assume the worst case scenario of getting sick and recovering is not so bad, therefore you change nothing. In reality, if you can contract it and have no symptoms for 2 weeks, the net effect you can ultimately have on others around you is much larger.

I am no medical expert, but it seems like this attitude will be precisely what compounds the problem given what we are seeing in other countries. You assume the worst case scenario of getting sick and recovering is not so bad, therefore you change nothing. In reality, if you can contract it and have no symptoms for 2 weeks, the net effect you can ultimately have on others around you is much larger.

that revolves back around to better testing which again I 100% agree with.

Again as a paramedic I recognize I stand a pretty good chance of eventually being exposed to this. The common procedure for exposures is for the hospital to notify our dept of any potential exposures so we can take the appropriate actions.

The only change I’m making in my life is avoiding contact with my grandfather for a little while. What I’m not doing is panicking and buying toilet paper.

15% if pretty fucking serious. I don't want to expose my parents to a 15% chance of dying. It's not about you or I, its about our parents who I would prefer to live another 10-20 years.

Most humans have trouble understanding statistics. A true mortality of 0.3% is a pretty reasonable guess from what I have seen. Not so bad right?

Except for the fact that humans have no herd immunity to a novel virus so it spreads pandemic. It is another fact that this is a pandemic.

US population is 330M. 200M could get this in a pandemic. If the mortality rate is 0.3%, that means 600K dead. That is not trivial. That's more Americans than died in WWII. It would be a huge deal.

I read through the study on this published in The Lancet on Weds. Old and sick are indeed more vulnerable. "Old" is like 50+ and "sick" is a list of existing conditions that most Americans I know over 50 have anyway -- high blood pressure being one, etc.

My parents are 60+ and high risk. My grandparents are late 80s locked in their nursing home. This is nearly a death sentence if this spreads in their nursing home.

My brother is a doctor so"in the field" He thinks the real problem is not the virus or it's rate in isolation. After all if you're 80+ you're gong to die somewhat soon of something. It sucks if its your grandparents (and we have some in that range) of course. But at least it doesn't affect young too much and affects kids almost not at all.

The real problem is that hospitals are not built for surges. They are not built for 9/11 or the Boston Marathon bombers or plague. This makes sense - facilities and staff cost money and at least one hospital I know of is in the black only because of parking and the cafeteria. At that point nobody will get care and then even the young are f'ed. Already the hospital is taking about ending "elective" surgeries (acl repairs and so on) and it will probably happen at some point.

Back