Social WR Lounge v281: *Shivers* Full Blown Surefront

Most Beautiful Films of the 20th Century?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about how high the rates of mental illness are in Palestine and found a fantastic article about "PTSD" to a Palestinian.
https://qz.com/1521806/palestines-head-of-mental-health-services-says-ptsd-is-a-western-concept/

“PTSD better describes the experiences of an American soldier who goes to Iraq to bomb and go back to the safety of the United States. He’s having nightmares and fears related to the battlefield and his fears are imaginary. Whereas for a Palestinian in Gaza whose home was bombarded, the threat of having another bombardment is a very real one. It’s not imaginary,” says Jabr. “There is no ‘post’ because the trauma is repetitive and ongoing and continuous. I think we need to be authentic about our experiences and not to try to impose on ourselves experiences that are not ours.”

Jabr says people in Palestine who face continual trauma are more susceptible to shifts in personality, and express a variety of symptoms where their emotions stress is manifest in physical reactions. For example, she had a patient who suffered from breathlessness and who was sent to a psychiatrist after physical examinations could not find a cause. “A few months after he developed enough trust, he told me that he developed these symptoms after he was attacked by soldiers who forced him to use filthy words against his wife [and] his mother,” she says. “He was so ashamed of the event, that he had to comply with the instructions or soldiers…and his body expressed the suffering. We see that very often.”

It's a video game but Civilization VI classifies this as "war weariness". Your civilization starts to take hits in happiness and loyalty if you're involved in a war for longer than X amount of turns as the people just get tired from the constant fear of being conquered. It's an over simplification but that's probably a better way to describe it than PTSD.

Do I have to watch Gundam Wing to appreciate Endless Waltz?
Geg's probably right that you'd be better off knowing the backstory, but I think it does such a good job of presenting that nostalgic excitement that you might still feel it without knowing more than a Wikipedia summary of the original series.

The themes are sufficiently self-contained that the movie stands on its own. Try it out.

That is a different argument though.

Dude said this.

Markets do not reward "skill." They don't reward "hard work." They don't reward "moral merit." They reward the creation of value for others. Period. In a genuine market, the path to material wealth is by doing things that others value.

People value skill and hard work.

Maybe read the whole thing again?

I'm not sure really sure what you want me to say except that I've never seen a gotcha line that had to be repeated succeed in any capacity.

That you try to frame simple disagreement as a "gotcha" thing, and won't bother to articulate anything of insight in your dismissal, is kinda dickish. Fyi.

No worries though. Just noting that you're the guy being an asshole for no reason.

You wanna talk about it lad?

Depressing article. People normally think of these conflicts by quantifying them through their death toll but the daily suffering of the Palestinians gets ignored when you do that. The fact that nearly a quarter of Palestinian adolescents have attempted suicide is insane to me.
It is one of those facts that makes horrible sense. The assault on Palestinians from Zionists is almost constant, extending to refugee camps, there is no guarantee of a physical living space and the western media has done nothing but frame Palestinian death as a result of war whereas Israeli deaths are a result of "Arab" terrorism. That will foster an unlivable mind certainly.

That you try to frame simple disagreement as a "gotcha" thing, and won't bother to articulate anything of insight in your dismissal, is kinda dickish. Fyi.

No worries though. Just noting that you're the guy being an asshole for no reason.
If you're purposely misreading in order to create that disagreement, then it's dishonest.

For example, do you think the author disagrees with your statement? I don't. In fact I think it would be pretty weird for anyone to disagree with it.

That should kind of tip you off that you're missing something.

Jeez.

The original piece is actually something you'd agree with. He's saying that markets reward producing economic value rather than some possible inputs into that process. And you're saying that they indirectly do reward those inputs, right?

I added that while markets do generally reward value production, they also reward a lot of other things that are unrelated to value production. I think the ideal system is one that continues to reward new value production and broadly distributes existing wealth, hence my support for very free markets but also modified Georgism, high inheritance taxes, and a big SWF.

Vote Stalker! Dark City was cool but Stalker is wow.

Yeah, I explained this in my earlier post, but I'd already read Roadside Picnic when I saw Stalker, and I saw a pretty average version I'd downloaded on a PC. I saw Dark City in the cinema when it was first released with no prior knowledge about it, so overall it was much more striking. Definitely think Stalker/Roadside Picnic was better scifi, but watching Dark City was a more impactful experience.

Jeez.

The original piece is actually something you'd agree with. He's saying that markets reward producing economic value rather than some possible inputs into that process. And you're saying that they indirectly do reward those inputs, right?

I added that while markets do generally reward value production, they also reward a lot of other things that are unrelated to value production. I think the ideal system is one that continues to reward new value production and broadly distributes existing wealth, hence my support for very free markets but also modified Georgism, high inheritance taxes, and a big SWF.
Jack I was just offered Jarred Kelenic for Aaron Judge. My team really sucks this year. What do you think?

Jack I was just offered Jarred Kelenic for Aaron Judge. My team really sucks this year. What do you think?
Kelenic is 4 for like 42 as of Tuesday.... the guy started his MLB tenure with a boom but has been struggling since.

Kelenic is 4 for like 42 as of Tuesday.... the guy started his MLB tenure with a boom but has been struggling since.
This is a dynasty league and I’m out of the playoffs. Kelenic is apparently a big prospect so I think swapping the older judge might help cause I have Julio Rodriguez too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back