Ycm sparring 9 (hard)

Yeah but a punch is a physical attribute. It has tangible physical characteristics even among the array of different types people able to hurt other people with not much effort. Heart? Not so much. There's almost no real way to measure that or ascertain aptitude initially.

You could say it's about willingness to engage and persevere without any real training, but then that could also be the mental disorder of being psychopathic or sociopathic.

P.S. - the current trainer who talks the most shit about me was training one of the guys Daijon hated sparring most, and he always went down with body-shots. Daijon was always a muscular athletic kid even as a teenager when he first started with me. This dumbass told me he needed to do more ab work. I said: "The kid has an 8-pack already, what more do you think he's gonna accomplish with crunches?" His reply was: "well he needs to do SOMETHING." Yeah no shit. About a year and a half later as Daijon closed the skill gap with his development, they stopped asking us for sparring.

There's of course are techniques to reduce punch/ kick effectivity even if hit is unavoidable, for example this is reason why majority of kicks with knees aren't such a effective in KB, MT, despite kick's own power in ideal case is physically enough to at least drop opponent on floor even if it landed not on ideal targeted place...if he don't see this kick.

Some even untrained at all, will fight more aggressively after get hurt.

This guy looks me not a bad person, maybe he just was instructed beat hard but he looks not a bad person. Looks like in first minute he didn't all what was possible for him to do...with intent. Yes, here it might be unpopular opinion, I know.
Had you some conversation with him before this session?
If no, there maybe he just instructed and feeded, then did what he was told to do.
Some 137 lbe'rs will be more tough and beat far harder than he.
Good thing is, that it looks you are able beat harder than in this case you did.
Flaws in defense too, but I'll leave this critique potential to more experienced with boxing. Celebrities ate and continue to eat too, nobody is perfect.

Last edited:
lol no way the red guy was boxing since he was a kid

P.S. - the current trainer who talks the most shit about me was training one of the guys Daijon hated sparring most, and he always went down with body-shots. Daijon was always a muscular athletic kid even as a teenager when he first started with me. This dumbass told me he needed to do more ab work. I said: "The kid has an 8-pack already, what more do you think he's gonna accomplish with crunches?" His reply was: "well he needs to do SOMETHING." Yeah no shit. About a year and a half later as Daijon closed the skill gap with his development, they stopped asking us for sparring.

So guys like Marvin Hagler who seemed to have inhuman toughness and durability - you’re saying you believe someone can be taught to be on that level if they are someone who regularly gets gives up on themselves to begin with?

That the proper trainer could turn a man like that, into a man like Marvin ? These are extremes were talking here of course , but just want ur thoughts

Yeah but a punch is a physical attribute. It has tangible physical characteristics even among the array of different types people able to hurt other people with not much effort. Heart? Not so much. There's almost no real way to measure that or ascertain aptitude initially.

You could say it's about willingness to engage and persevere without any real training, but then that could also be the mental disorder of being psychopathic or sociopathic.
your probably right no doubt, but i still believe a lot of the best are born a bit sociopathic. it takes a bit of a different attitude to want to smash another humans face with your fist in the fist place.

Last edited:
I don't think that sociopathic attitude, these guys usually aren't against society.
Guy loves to fight. Beat.

Some had been beaten, then resisted and delivered beatings and they sticked with fight approach or something like it.
Some wants to taste other guy and if there legal way trough sport, then why not?

if i changed the "heart" with pain tolerance would your opinion remain the same? i do believe pain tolerance can be trained but i'm not sure to what degree.

But posture and technique are not the same things. Posture is form, technique is mechanical execution.
your arguing semantics. posture is the corner stone of all mechanical execution. a.k.a posture affects all movement, it's really as simple as that. therefore form and technique are Exactly the same thing.

your arguing semantics. posture is the corner stone of all mechanical execution. a.k.a posture affects all movement, it's really as simple as that. therefore form and posture are well Exactly the same thing.

You can have proper torque but weak posture. You can have proper posture but weak torque. etc.

But posture and technique are not the same things. Posture is form, technique is mechanical execution.
Posture (how to stand), footwork (how to step), punching (how to throw) are all part of technique. Posture and technique are not the same thing but technique includes posture.

Your posture must be good point of impact, though. That I agree with, but you can stand in all kinds of strange ways and still fire off potent strikes

Where it matters even more is getting hit. if your posture is weak, your center of gravity is off, which means you go down when a hammer is thrown at you. This is why leaning back is risky, and even elite guys who do it get caught here and there.

It's the same principles in wrestling and takedowns. If you stand straight up, that's a weak posture in wresting and easy prey to take down since the weight distribution is wrong.

how about technique vs weight

@spacetime must have fought guys with 200 pounds over him

So guys like Marvin Hagler who seemed to have inhuman toughness and durability - you’re saying you believe someone can be taught to be on that level if they are someone who regularly gets gives up on themselves to begin with?

That the proper trainer could turn a man like that, into a man like Marvin ? These are extremes were talking here of course , but just want ur thoughts

Marvin had huge mental weaknesses but incredible durability. Imagine what he would have been like without the mental weaknesses. Doubts that made him try to fight Leonard orthodox and give away at least 4 rounds.

Marvin had huge mental weaknesses but incredible durability. Imagine what he would have been like without the mental weaknesses. Doubts that made him try to fight Leonard orthodox and give away at least 4 rounds.

Can you elaborate on that?

He showed an almost supernatural chin against Hearns but he certainly had odd habits.

Back