Opinion Yeonmi Park is on JRE but her North Korean story is full of many inconsistencies. Is she a grifter?

There's a Korean program she was on when she first started making media appearances where they claimed she ran away to China with her mom and dad. But she never said that.

In reality she ran away with her mom and then later brought over her dad.

Her detractors are using that as some kind of "proof" that she's a fraud.

As for her interviews in English - show me where these supposed lies are.
She is a refugee but she plays to the crowd. That story about the execution for watching American movie changes to a Korean drama talking to Asian audiences. I think she is telling stories about the 90s that she heard from her mother as her own experiences. You can look up some of her mother's conflicting accounts saying that the girls were never starving.

Regarding the run away from her mom and later brought over her dad issue. You can listen to this when you have free time. She mentioned escaping with her father and mother. http://static.squarespace.com/stati...mp3/original/Bob+Zadek+Show++June+22+2014.mp3

There are other defectors, NGOs and people who worked in NK who have a different account from her during that same time. NK is an awful place but some of the stuff is an obvious exaggeration. She is also recalling events that happened a long time ago. It is going to change with each retelling. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

She is a refugee but she plays to the crowd. That story about the execution for watching American movie changes to a Korean drama talking to Asian audiences. I think she is telling stories about the 90s that she heard from her mother as her own experiences. You can look up some of her mother's conflicting accounts saying that the girls were never starving.

Regarding the run away from her mom and later brought over her dad issue. You can listen to this when you have free time. She mentioned escaping with her father and mother. http://static.squarespace.com/static/53615d24e4b0a4907f99ed24/t/53a8f1b2e4b04eb3d0ae79aa/1403580850616/Bob Zadek Show June 22 2014.mp3/original/Bob+Zadek+Show++June+22+2014.mp3
I'm listened to the part in this audio where she talks about escaping. She mentions her mom and her.

Where is the inconsistency?

There are other defectors, NGOs and people who worked in NK who have a different account from her during that same time. NK is an awful place but some of the stuff is an obvious exaggeration. She is also recalling events that happened a long time ago. It is going to change with each retelling. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

What are you talking about? 90's North Korea suffered a massive famine and literally millions of people starved to death. People routinely ate rats, dogs, insects and whatever they could get their hands on. Sometimes even human remains. That's not an exaggeration. That's a fact.

Seems like some people are really reaching to poke holes in her credibility for some reason.

I'm listened to the part in this audio where she talks about escaping. She mentions her mom and her.

Where is the inconsistency?

What are you talking about? 90's North Korea suffered a massive famine and literally millions of people starved to death. People routinely ate rats, dogs, insects and whatever they could get their hands on. Sometimes even human remains. That's not an exaggeration. That's a fact.

Seems like some people are really reaching to poke holes in her credibility for some reason.

She is telling 90s NK as her own stories. She did not live through that time. That is the point you are missing. I am not denying there was widespread famine.

She is telling 90s NK as her own stories. She did not live through that time. That is the point you are missing. I am not denying there was widespread famine.

What do you mean? She was born in 1993 and escaped at 13. She lived through the famine. The famine didn't magically end at year 2000.

And where in the link you gave does she talk about her dad and this inconsistency? Tried looking for it.

What do you mean? She was born in 1993 and escaped at 13. She lived through the famine. The famine didn't magically end at year 2000.

And where in the link you gave does she talk about her dad and this inconsistency? Tried looking for it.
Listen to the whole podcast. I haven’t listened to it in years but she mentions leaving with her father.

They weren’t poor people in NK. That is where the grift is happening. It changes slightly with every interview. Please just go look up different interviews of her.

She left Better Korea cause she couldnt hack it in Better Korea. Dear Leader is not a great man because he isnt human at all. He is an angle bringing faith to Better Korea. Then she went to Worse Korea and then to worse Canada.

Listen to the whole podcast. I haven’t listened to it in years but she mentions leaving with her father.

They weren’t poor people in NK. That is where the grift is happening. It changes slightly with every interview. Please just go look up different interviews of her.

The story is that her, her mom and dad tried to escape, but her dad got caught up. Then later on when they were in China, they were able to smuggle the dad out.

Maybe there might have been some misunderstanding problems from that. And I have seen different interviews of her and don't see these inconsistencies. That's why I'm asking.

The story is that her, her mom and dad tried to escape, but her dad got caught up. Then later on when they were in China, they were able to smuggle the dad out.

Maybe there might have been some misunderstanding problems from that. And I have seen different interviews of her and don't see these inconsistencies. That's why I'm asking.
You speak Korean. This is a smear campaign against her?

You speak Korean. This is a smear campaign against her?

So basically the mom is saying we weren't completely starving but they were having "corn rice" - which is cheaper and less preferred than white rice. But that she didn't know the difference. Part where grass is mentioned is a misinterpretation. No mention of grass. They were able to do this because her father worked really hard. So certainly not rich.

But this snippet doesn't take into account her father was jailed for smuggling when she was little and couldn't provide for the family while imprisoned.

As for the sex slave stories, that is 100% a reality for North Korean women who escape into China. This is corroborated by human rights groups as well as the stories by other defectors.

So basically the mom is saying we weren't completely starving but they were having "corn rice" - which is cheaper and less preferred than white rice. But that she didn't know the difference. Part where grass is mentioned is a misinterpretation. No mention of grass. They were able to do this because her father worked really hard. So certainly not rich.

But this snippet doesn't take into account her father was jailed for smuggling when she was little and couldn't provide for the family while imprisoned.
That is when you have to follow her interviews and her autobiography. It really changes throughout the years. She claims she grew up starving and very poor. You even defended her saying she grew up during a famine. The story sort of changes here and there depending on what news outlet. Her mom had channel bags in NK in the middle of a famine. You don't see that something is weird here? Her mom in that video stated that they weren't starving. Her father was imprisoned in 2002. You get what I mean when I say she is telling stories from the 90s that might not be hers? There are also other contradictions during that time but it's just easier to post a video.

I don't doubt human trafficking exists for NK women. My issue again is that is her story? Her China arc changes here and there. One version she has family there, another version is rape/sexual slavery and another one was her father arranged for his business contacts in China to smuggle them out. There are way too many conflicting sources of information. Here is a documentary that someone made. They compiled various interviews and excerpts from her book.

That is when you have to follow her interviews and her autobiography. It really changes throughout the years. She claims she grew up starving and very poor. You even defended her saying she grew up during a famine. The story sort of changes here and there depending on what news outlet. Her mom had channel bags in NK in the middle of a famine. You don't see that something is weird here? Her mom in that video stated that they weren't starving. Her father was imprisoned in 2002. You get what I mean when I say she is telling stories from the 90s that might not be hers? There are also other contradictions during that time but it's just easier to post a video.

I don't doubt human trafficking exists for NK women. My issue again is that is her story? Her China arc changes here and there. One version she has family there, another version is rape/sexual slavery and another one was her father arranged for his business contacts in China to smuggle them out. There are way too many conflicting sources of information. Here is a documentary that someone made. They compiled various interviews and excerpts from her book.

Well I watched some of this but not watching an hour 40 minute video. IDK some of the initial criticism seems pretty nitpicky. Oh she said her neighbors mom watched Korean DVD's here, but a James Bond movie in this clip. Oh she used clickbait in this video she posted, etc. All little tiny details. Who cares.

I feel like the push to label her as some kind of grifter is coming from her criticism of China. And Chinese business interests having an influence.

Well I watched some of this but not watching an hour 40 minute video. IDK some of the initial criticism seems pretty nitpicky. Oh she said her neighbors mom watched Korean DVD's here, but a James Bond movie in this clip. Oh she used clickbait in this video she posted, etc. All little tiny details. Who cares.

I feel like the push to label her as some kind of grifter is coming from her criticism of China. And Chinese business interests having an influence.
They get into a lot more details in the chapter 2 part of the video. The video isn't to bash her. It just highlights the discrepancies within her stories. The creator of the video is a non Chinese Muslim from a country that has laws to keep Chinese as second class citizens. His country's citizens are banned from NK for helping America extradite NK citizens. I don't believe there is some Chinese interest behind that creator. The video is long because they go into her defense as well. The video goes into the Korean show footage. The Korean show footage paints a different picture. They were upper class North Koreans. She had double eyelid surgery in NK at the age of 9. Her mom had Chanel bags. There are soooooo many discrepancies in her stories. There are at least 5 different versions of her China arc. 3 versions of the story don't even have the sex trafficking aspect. Even within 2 of the versions that do mention sex trafficking; facts like agreeing to be a bride of a mentally disabled farmer vs forced into slavery/raped changes the whole context of the story.

Those details matter. If you follow an activist. Don't you want their content to be truthful? You went from where are these discrepancies in the story to details don't matter now. I get that you are South Korean but it becomes are you interested in the truth or you just care about your side winning? There are over 30 thousand North Korean refugees. I am pretty sure there are better activists than her. My original position isn't that North Korea or China is free of guilt. They are responsible for a lot of atrocities. It's just that Yeonmi Park might be selling other people's stories and she changes details to suit her audience.

My asian fetish hampers my ability to be objective so I have to remove myself from the council for this one

They get into a lot more details in the chapter 2 part of the video. The video isn't to bash her. It just highlights the discrepancies within her stories. The creator of the video is a non Chinese Muslim from a country that has laws to keep Chinese as second class citizens. His country's citizens are banned from NK for helping America extradite NK citizens. I don't believe there is some Chinese interest behind that creator. The video is long because they go into her defense as well. The video goes into the Korean show footage. The Korean show footage paints a different picture. They were upper class North Koreans. She had double eyelid surgery in NK at the age of 9. Her mom had Chanel bags. There are soooooo many discrepancies in her stories. There are at least 5 different versions of her China arc. 3 versions of the story don't even have the sex trafficking aspect. Even within 2 of the versions that do mention sex trafficking; facts like agreeing to be a bride of a mentally disabled farmer vs forced into slavery/raped changes the whole context of the story.

Those details matter. If you follow an activist. Don't you want their content to be truthful? You went from where are these discrepancies in the story to details don't matter now. I get that you are South Korean but it becomes are you interested in the truth or you just care about your side winning? There are over 30 thousand North Korean refugees. I am pretty sure there are better activists than her. My original position isn't that North Korea or China is free of guilt. They are responsible for a lot of atrocities. It's just that Yeonmi Park might be selling other people's stories and she changes details to suit her audience.

I skimmed the video and don't see any mention of a Chanel bag or that they were rich or double eyelid? Not doubting you but I do not have time to watch a movie long Youtube video. Is that in the video?

I skimmed the video and don't see any mention of a Chanel bag or that they were rich or double eyelid? Not doubting you but I do not have time to watch a movie long Youtube video. Is that in the video?
It's in the video. The video is very long because she really has a lot of holes in her story. The ownership of Chanel bags and Paris Hilton of NK moniker is not something that is hidden. You can easily find this information if you follow her story in different outlets. NY Times uses that to describe her.

We don't even know what she said on the TV show was scripted or not either. There are a lot of shenanigans behind the scenes regarding NK defectors. There are even wild interviews of defectors living in SK that want to go back to NK but they can't because the government would not issue them a passport.

First I will post the JRE video and then post some videos (time marked) which counter a lot of the claims being made.

If you guys don't know who she is, Yeonmi Park is the most famous North Korean defector. She has been on many youtube channels telling her tragic tale of escape. This all sounds like a really sad story but when you do some digging things start to get real fishy.

1. On South Korean television she presents a different self, she and her mother say that they are like the "Paris Hilton" of North Korea. She comes from a wealthy family.

2. She says that she escaped the border into China with both her father and mother. She then later makes a speech and tells a different story. This time she says it was only her mother who crossed the border with her.

3. She makes the claim that she watched a person executed in public for watching a foreign film. Sometimes she says it is James Bond other times a South Korean film. Other North Korean defectors have also said that public executions were stopped several years prior to that date.

I'm sure that North Korea is a really shitty place but is there perhaps a chance that this young lady is being used by political organizations to fearmonger?

What do you guys think? Is she telling the truth or is there an agenda at play here?

Stories about crossing boarding.

On South Korean TV

<EdgyBrah>

Jus read the last few pages of this thread…. So it’s basically the hardcore lefties that hate her.

Cool story bros

Back