You sir, are no Carnal Salvation...

August 23

HOT YOGA
75 minutes

Found out the Northern Arizona University Judo class starts up again on August 30th.
The previous semester (Spring, before I got sick) we were training on carpet with some foam under it. It was a little rough taking falls on that shit.
Sounds like the club will be upgrading to tatami, and getting a couple crash pads. Psyched to really get going again with proper mats!
And this time I'll be in a bit better shape starting out.

August 24

Strength & Conditioning
32 minutes
Circuit:
Jump lunges
Pull ups
Bridges using hanging straps
Push ups
Hammer snatch
Kettle bell swings
Ab work
Stretching

Been thinking about doing some two-a-days, with this as one of the workouts, but I might be getting a little out over my skis on that.
Soon...

EDIT:
Welp.
Got a surge of energy and decided to do a two-a-day after all.

HOT YOGA
70 minutes
Surprisingly I felt really strong tonight. In the zone.

Last edited:
August 27 Saturday

HIKE
71 minutes.
Lime Kiln Trail.
Long Slow Duration training.
Steady incline up, then back down, about 4 miles.
Jogged a little but my legs felt heavy and my shoes were killing me!
Anyway, this trail is a good cardio marker; once I can fly up an down this thing I should transition into some hill training.

Last edited:
August 30 Tuesday

UPDATE

Having some trouble getting registered into the judo class at NAU.
There used to be a community access / non-degree seeking option which only cost like $60 for fitness classes.
They've changed that option, and now you have to be a fully admitted student, and pay for the class like a student would.
With all the initial fees and getting admitted to NAU itself, etc., we're talking like $2000 for a couple months of Judo for the first half semester.
A possible work around would be just paying the $12 community day fee for the rec center (where the Judo class is held), and walking in. I'll find out if that works. I know the instructor is cool with it, I'm just wondering if there will be any entanglements at the front entrance.

If it turns out that I won't be able to get into the class, there might be a lot more BJJ showing up in this log as I shift focus, although I might be able to get some judo thing going at the BJJ club I'm at now.

Still feeling great physically, which I attribute to this diet I'm on, mindset, and pacing myself.
My nutrition coach recommended adding two days of weight lifting to what I am already doing.

My sleep still sucks. I averaged 5 hours 42 minutes per night this month. That's not enough.
Thinking about Ambien.

Regardless, I anticipate the intensity level picking up now in terms of the work outs posted here.

Last edited:
Sept 3 Saturday

HIKE
1 hour.
Pretty mellow and flat.
But I needed to get out and do something. I've been queasy all week and the damn cough came back for several days.
I don't know if it's some long Covid thing circling back around or what.
Anyway, I think it's cleared up again (mostly) and so back to work.

Figured out the Judo thing and should be starting up Tuesday.

That's good about the Judo. What would you miss doing more if you had to drop one - BJJ or Judo?

Judo for sure. Probably like 80 / 20 favorability for Judo / BJJ. Though I can see how moving into BJJ is going to make sense as I grow older.
How about you?

Today's work outs:
Sept 4 Sunday

JUDO
80 minutes.
I was the only person who showed up for this class, so basically it was a private lesson.
We worked on throws for most of the session, but finished with some nifty newaza moves.
We did this foot choke which is so simple but blew my mind. Guy's in your guard, pull both his collars, and shove your foot in his throat (like doing a karate side kick kind of...but you're not kicking, just applying pressure). Ha!

HOT YOGA
70 minutes.
105 outside, 105 inside. Tough one.

Nutritionist notes:
Carbs and beet juice pre-workout.
Electrolytes and creatine during.
Tart cherry juice and whey protein post-workout. Maybe a banana too.
Need to up my healthy fat and fiber intake.
About half the time I consume all 2200 calories allotted to me. Otherwise I'll come in between 1600 - 2100, which amazes me.
The diet keeps me pretty full.

I've only ever done one BJJ session, so for me I would definitely miss Judo the most! I'm hoping to get back to the daytime randori session this week.

I've only ever done one BJJ session, so for me I would definitely miss Judo the most! I'm hoping to get back to the daytime randori session this week.

Ah ok. For some reason I had thought I'd seen some BJJ in your past posts.
Nice on the randori. Back to NAU Judo for me tomorrow night, meaning randori time is here.
I have a little trepidation, but I'm definitely in better shape than I was when I tried to start up again last time.

Sept 5 Monday

YARDSTICK TRAIL RUN / HIKE
68 minutes. 4 miles.
It was about 97 degrees F, no wind, clear skies and a baking sun.
The heat slowed me down a bit, but I jogged some sections on the uphill, and jogged most of the way down.
There's some semi-technical hills which slow things down for some sections also.

New shoes rock! Went with Salomon Sense Ride 4. Maybe a tad light for rough terrain, but a solid trail runner.

Labor Day here and no BJJ tonight. If the yoga place is open I might hit a class tonight and I'll update.

Sept 5 Monday

YARDSTICK TRAIL RUN / HIKE
68 minutes. 4 miles.
It was about 97 degrees F, no wind, clear skies and a baking sun.
The heat slowed me down a bit, but I jogged some sections on the uphill, and jogged most of the way down.
There's some semi-technical hills which slow things down for some sections also.

New shoes rock! Went with Salomon Sense Ride 4. Maybe a tad light for rough terrain, but a solid trail runner.

Labor Day here and no BJJ tonight. If the yoga place is open I might hit a class tonight and I'll update.
I'm thinking of springing for some Salomon's myself - I've currently got some New Balance Trail shoes which have been fine for my needs but once they're worn out I may replace with Salomons. Where I live is relatively flat, but my family and I venture up north and into Scotland most years for some nice hikes.

I'm thinking of springing for some Salomon's myself - I've currently got some New Balance Trail shoes which have been fine for my needs but once they're worn out I may replace with Salomons. Where I live is relatively flat, but my family and I venture up north and into Scotland most years for some nice hikes.

The Sense Ride 4's are comfortable, breathable, and seem to have decent traction. Again, maybe a bit light for a rugged trail run, but that's the only semi-negative I can think of.
By far my favorite all around, pound for pound trail shoe is the Salomon Speedcross 5. Aggressive tread on these things. Lightweight, firm, but fucking comfortable as heck. I'm on my third pair. They aren't built for speed, but man can you hike the hell out of these mothers. Where they really shine is coming down on say slick rock or dusty sandy slopes. These things grip like crazy. No negatives. BUY THEM. lol

Hiking Scotland sounds incredible.

Sept 6 Tuesday

JUDO
90 minutes
First night back, NAU Judo.
Felt clunky, slow, and unathletic all night.
Did one round of randori and it felt like I was trying to move in molasses. I'd seen enough, and sat out the next 4 rounds.
Some days you're the hammer, some days you're the nail.

November 1 Tuesday

I decided to step back for a minute, take care of some things, reassess, and do a little vision questing.
In terms of fitness, my cardio has been holding me back for too long now. So that's pretty much all I've focused on for the past 6 weeks.
Did a ton of HIKES, most strenuous, 4-5 miles, hills hills hills. I'd usually jog significant portions of the hikes.
One of the trails is Bear. A tough mf that'll be a cardio staple for the next couple months:
https://www.earthtrekkers.com/hiking-bear-mountain-trail-sedona-arizona/

6 HOT YOGA sessions.

Then last night got back to JUDO and put in a couple of solid hours on just Morote Seoi Nage.
Felt good but rusty.

Back