Youtube chef ranks popular food from every state in America.

and what good is it for me to argue with someone who thinks minnesota should be represented by a full 5 course meal when other states get one item? you say gumbo, well obviously that is the signature dish of new orleans and Louisiana. minnesota is not as clear. and they were taking suggestions from people that lived there, but i guess those don't count either. I grew up in Michigan and never had a pastie. or even heard of it

Here are more sources that i guess don't count and have tater tot hotdish as one:

https://thepourhousempls.com/blog/minnesota-most-popular-dishes/
https://www.minnesotamonthly.com/food-drink/minnesotas-most-iconic-foods/ (2)
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/minnesota/classic-dishes-mn/
https://stateofdinner.com/famous-food-from-minnesota/

there are dozens of other sites that list it. But none of them sites that cover minnesota and/or its food count as much as the opinion of prefect from sherdog

You can keep posting all the dumb articles you want. A perfect example as to why these articles are dumb is that they it is a struggle to find any original or interesting about Minnesota cuisine that you have to list Juicy Lucies as something interesting, when hardly one serves them and it is just a variation on a cheeseburger. They couldn't write an article on good sausage and cheese because that would be boring. They keep listing Lefsa, but the vast majority of people from Minnesota would not even know what it is let alone tried it. Might as well list something like auflauf and just say it is something you must try in MInnesota, when it is just a german desert that no one eats in Minnesota.

In comparison, you can find cheese curds everywhere in Wisconsin or even Minnesota. Gumbo is everywhere in Lousianana. Texas has amazing brisket everywhere. All stuff people order at restaurants. No one goes out to eat tator tot hotdish.

I was born and raised in Phoenix and had never heard of a "Sonoran Dog" until now. Granted, I haven't lived there in a long time, but they just skip over the Sonoran-style Mexican food? No machaca or chimichangas or cheese crisps or anything anyone there actually eats? A hot dog is the best exemplar of the cuisine of a southwestern border state? The video smacks of the impulse to find some food that's "new" and "unique" to the area. For Arizona, at least.

glad to see both my states holding it down
303 and 505

some of the food choices for states was wonky, but i cant hate on the choices for the two states. i grew up eating creen chile with pork made by my grandma and later my aunts, and green chile burgers are the best form of burger.
but i am surprised to see colorado as S tier while New Mex is A
i thought new mex would be b or c with green chile pizza or something and colorado by the bottom for rocky mountain oysters lol

that being said i agree with some of the complaints earlier in the thread about not respecting or sourcing the actual product from the area. Green chiles from new mex arent just any green chile, when you put real hatch chiles on a burger it is magical and honestly it is amazing with bacon on the burg too. SPicy green chile with bacon double patty double cheese from blakes is the worlds best burger hands down.

I was born and raised in Phoenix and had never heard of a "Sonoran Dog" until now. Granted, I haven't lived there in a long time, but they just skip over the Sonoran-style Mexican food? No machaca or chimichangas or cheese crisps or anything anyone there actually eats? A hot dog is the best exemplar of the cuisine of a southwestern border state? The video smacks of the impulse to find some food that's "new" and "unique" to the area. For Arizona, at least.
Sonoran dogs are godly
hit up some street dogs when you get the chance brudda

there was a taco truck in denver that had sonoran dogs and tacos de asada. place would be hopping all damn day with folks loading up on tacos and dogs

What point would it be for me to argue with someone who thinks a google search of a depression era scarcity dish is representative of the states cuisine rather than suggestions from people who lived there? Louisiana gets gumbo which you can find served everywhere in Louisiana. You would be extremely hard press to find a place in Minnesota that serves tator tot hotdish.

What's something iconic that Minnesotan's order when they go out to eat? Going out to eat really wasn't common when I lived there. Then again, I lived in Moorehead in the late 80's. You'd spice things up by popping a Heggies in the oven on a Friday/Saturday night.

Most meals consisted of protein, potatoes, vegetables, gravy, and bread. Hotdish was here and there through the week. Lutheran potlucks are horrible.

So there are a couple of Hawaiian BBQ places that server this, and even though I love Spam I don't know if I can understand the alure. So is it worth a try?
Wood.

With gravy.
It's just a food item that was created way back in the early 1900s. I believe from someone of Japanese origin that was in Hawaii way back when and it's part of the Hawaii culture since. It's nothing special. Some people prepare it by putting it in the middle, but it doesn't really matter. Of course not all spam musubi's are created equal in terms of taste and ideal spam to rice ratio, but it's a good snack. If you ever go to Hawaii make sure to try Musubi Cafe Iyasume. They make a good spam musubi. Reminds me of the one my mom would make.

if anyone's wondering when they talk about your state, since they don't go in alphabetical order in the video, if you watch it on youtube, a few comments down from the top, someone puts a timestamp for each state.

shuttup Rodney.

pocket dogs >>>>>>>>>

What's something iconic that Minnesotan's order when they go out to eat? Going out to eat really wasn't common when I lived there. Then again, I lived in Moorehead in the late 80's. You'd spice things up by popping a Heggies in the oven on a Friday/Saturday night.

Most meals consisted of protein, potatoes, vegetables, gravy, and bread. Hotdish was here and there through the week. Lutheran potlucks are horrible.

If I were to nail down one thing, it would be good sausage, mainly venison. There are so many small meat shops. A lot of places now don't even have access to good meat. They aren't going to show that because they can't cook up and smoke sausage in a kitchen like the other dishes.

So there are a couple of Hawaiian BBQ places that server this, and even though I love Spam I don't know if I can understand the alure. So is it worth a try?
Wood.

With gravy.
Spam musubi is like modified rice roll. It's spam cooked with soy/oyster sauce and it's on top of sushi rice. It’s not bad at all but there is a ceiling to it. It can only get so good. Some people have an aversion to spam so they don't like it. I like spam so I can eat it. It's quite calorie dense though. I am assuming I can down 2-3 in one shot. It's probably close to 1000 calories for 3 of them.

If I were to nail down one thing, it would be good sausage, mainly venison. There are so many small meat shops. A lot of places now don't even have access to good meat. They aren't going to show that because they can't cook up and smoke sausage in a kitchen like the other dishes.
The youtuber probably followed the voting from the viewers and the tatertots won. He smoked meats for other state dishes.

I saw some of his other cooking videos. He is overly complicated. He makes everything from scratch like the bread, sauces, sausages etc etc. He doesn't really teach people how to cook. He is just an entertainer. He often has material or equipment that normal kitchen wouldn't have. It took me 3 minutes to realize I should abandon ship and use Ubereats after watching this easy chicken and rice dish.

if anyone's wondering when they talk about your state, since they don't go in alphabetical order in the video, if you watch it on youtube, a few comments down from the top, someone puts a timestamp for each state.

Or you can just hold the cursor on the timeline on the video.

I’d eat all of that. Except whatever Delaware’s shit was.
It's like sausage + cornmeal without the casing. It seems like fried meatloaf with a more mystery meat component. I would try it with breakfast or with a burger instead of bacon.

Nobody in Ohio eats skyline chili.

Its more of a Cincinnati tri-state area thing than an Ohio thing, Gold Star is much better, imo.

The cans of Skyline are expensive (almost $7 here in AZ) and they are not good. The seasoning packets with fresh ground beef are much better (even the frozen meat/sauce is better), and having it as a chili dog is a better first experience.

Want a good Ohio-only food that's underrated/not well known? Richards Steak Sandwiches.

Last edited:
Back