2018 overlooked fighter, the sleeping giant

BucktoothBeauty

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Curtis-Blaydes

I've watched Curtis from his debut, and I see a lot of potential here. I thought the tide was turning against Ngannou and he was lucky the doctor stopped it going into the third. Curtis rolls with punches well, has a good jab, manages distance well, has good reach, a rock solid chin, and has an offensive wrestling kit. I think he is missing a good kicking game to setup punches better (or to knockout 45 yr old fighters leaning HARD into his power leg) and maybe he needs a change of camps to break out of his mold but he has a lot of room to grow and w/o the spotlight on him they will keep giving him low profile fights so he can refine himself.

He beats JDS, he beats Alistar, he beats Werdum, but most importantly I think he beats Ngannou in the rematch

It's funny, I knew it would be Curtis Blaydes before even clicking on the link. If he gets through Hunt, buckle up. His beatdown of Milstead was overturned because he was injecting pots which is too bad, and Blaydes would have continued if the doctors hadn't intervened against Ngannou. His win over Oliynyk, he was beating him up before that messy situation unfolded.

Fun fact: his walkout music

Pretty much everyone in the top 10 at HW is 137 years old. Add in the fact that HW is always talent thin, and Blaydes' future could be very bright.

Well he might be... still has to prove himself obviously.. he at least lost to the current biggest thread at HW, might redeem himself, but not there yet at all.

But yeah he might become a top HW fighter, that much is true.

I like Blaydes. He's a true heavy with great wrestling which should translate to decent cardio.

Ngannou dropped him like three times in their fight but he never really looked hurt.

We will see. I would not count him out against Ngannou in a rematch.

you mean Zabit

I'm not sold on Blaydes yet. He's athletic, big as fuck, has a good chin (took shots from Ngannou), has explosive takedowns, I can see him getting comfortable with his striking in the future, and he'll probably beat Hunt because of Hunt's lack of TDD

BUT

He doesn't do anything great in my opinion, so I can see guys like Stipe, Ngannou, and Werdum beating him/ out pointing him.

He can definitely win a lot of UDs due to his wrestling, though. I want to see him against Werdum. Would he still go for a lot of takedowns? Will his size give Werdum problems in the stand up? Werdum would've been a good test for him. Hunt is a give me fight because the UFC knows Hunt is retiring soon and they want to build up Blaydes with a big name.

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Curtis-Blaydes

I've watched Curtis from his debut, and I see a lot of potential here. I thought the tide was turning against Ngannou and he was lucky the doctor stopped it going into the third. Curtis rolls with punches well, has a good jab, manages distance well, has good reach, a rock solid chin, and has an offensive wrestling kit. I think he is missing a good kicking game to setup punches better (or to knockout 45 yr old fighters leaning HARD into his power leg) and maybe he needs a change of camps to break out of his mold but he has a lot of room to grow and w/o the spotlight on him they will keep giving him low profile fights so he can refine himself.

He beats JDS, he beats Alistar, he beats Werdum, but most importantly I think he beats Ngannou in the rematch

I agree with everything you said! And I would take Curtis over Francis in a rematch.

It's a shame he has a blemish on his record for doing the marijuana.
giphy.gif

I'm not sold on Blaydes yet. He's athletic, big as fuck, has a good chin (took shots from Ngannou), has explosive takedowns, I can see him getting comfortable with his striking in the future, and he'll probably beat Hunt because of Hunt's lack of TDD

BUT

He doesn't do anything great in my opinion, so I can see guys like Stipe, Ngannou, and Werdum beating him/ out pointing him.

He can definitely win a lot of UDs due to his wrestling, though. I want to see him against Werdum. Would he still go for a lot of takedowns? Will his size give Werdum problems in the stand up? Werdum would've been a good test for him. Hunt is a give me fight because the UFC knows Hunt is retiring soon and they want to build up Blaydes with a big name.

no heavyweights really do anything great. Stipe is a pretty good boxer but can get reckless, werdum has good ground game but seems to have fallen in love with his hands, ngannou gets wild too

Thought this thread was about overeem still sleeping. Carry on...

Back