Antibiotics don’t lose fights “St Denis”

Thats pride fucking with you BSD

Check out the fight ending combinations. Dustin lands on the chin and then lands a beautiful lead-hook to the body, really digging into it, and you can see BSD trying to “get it back” and land his own body shot on Dustin, only to get countered and hit two more times extremely flush and dropped

BSD was trying to go shot-for-shot against a way better boxer with bricks for fist

Anti-biotics often make you feel like crap, as does the staph obviously.

And if you know you're not going to be able to perform as well for as long as you usually do, the smart thing is to prioritize finishing the fight as early as possible, which means you're going to take more risks and probably get finished.

We've seen plenty of short notice fighters take this approach, and more often than not it's the same result: they start as fast and as hard as they can because they know they're gassed in a round, and usually rush into something they might not usually have, or they get finished the moment they slow.

I love St Denis, but I don't know if this explanation of his is really saying much. You watch his other fights and around the 1.5 rounds mark he usually starts to lose a bit of snap and starts to make mistakes anyway. Not to the point where he loses, but the mistakes still happen.

He was wailing on Moises up against the cage in the same way as he was Dustin, and Moises was at times throwing back and clipping him. St Denis just ate it though. Dustin a different beast though. My biggest fear was that he'd get caught like this, and it fucking happened lol.

I know it’s impossible to read this far into the psychology of a fight, because none of us are mind readers. But it seems like the only reason he was able to get away with it for so long, is because Poirier couldn’t believe he was fighting someone with such bad defense. To me it seemed like early on Poirier was like “no way he leaves himself that open, he’s trying to lure me in to commit, then counter my counter.” Then when he started to land on BSD he was like “damn, it really is that bad, let me go ahead and get this guy out of here.”

Are antihistamines really that bad? I have histamine intolerance so I have to take them before every workout to prevent rashes.
It affects reaction time. Like going in slo-mo or boxing in water. It eventually takes its toll on you because you panic and feel like you have to exert more to get the same result. Iirc Marco Ruas had a similar reaction when he fought the pro wrestler in PRIDE.

Weed does something similar to me too, so i just avoid the shit. I hate the feeling of knowing that you are not in control.

He’s a battering ram with no defense, bro was always going to run into a DP fist the way he was fighting.

Is he saying he would eat the punch if not for antibiotics? DP was more gassed than he was so not buying the stamina charade

Antibiotics don’t make you get knocked out
Antibiotics could be a reason not to fight but
If you have an infection, you owe it to your opponent to tell him or endure and stfu about it

To blame getting knocked out on taking them is not cool
If you can’t bring it up before a fight, don’t bring it up when you lose
So an undiagnosed, mystery “infection” is the reason you lost after you won the 1st round ?

Meh

I mean... they destroy your cardio. He dominated all but 15 seconds of that bout. Only success Porier had was when BSD was so gassed he couldn't keep his hands up. I noticed in R2 it would be over soon while BSD was still having success.

If you've ever trained on them you'd know.

He’s a battering ram with no defense, bro was always going to run into a DP fist the way he was fighting.

Is he saying he would eat the punch if not for antibiotics? DP was more gassed than he was so not buying the stamina charade

Dustin was still fresh. BSD was exhausted in R2. I literally looked over at my buddy and said BSD about to lose about 90 seconds before the KO.

He was doing great according to the announcers, who couldn't stop saying how relentless and pressuring and active he was, up until the very moment he was flat on his back knocked out. So apparently there wasn't some shift in performance from r1 to r2 or the announcers would have picked up on it right? Instead of trying to build him up for every second of the fight...
He went reckless because that's what he's done in other fights he's won. He's willing to take a good shot in order to give one.

But Dustin isn't just some unranked fighter.

Watch his highlights and tell me he didn't fight how he usually fights. He's wide open, and trading shots with lesser fighters who don't carry the same power and technique as Poirier does.

Watch the highlight at 1:51 where he gets hit with a counter shot, and 3:03 where he gets into an exchange and tagged.

He's relied on his chin to absorb the shots, and he's always been sloppy in exchanges.

On first watch I didn't see it but after rewatching it's pretty obvious his cardio was compromised, and he didn't take a more measured approach because I honestly don't think he knows how to (yet). I know his style is usually "reckless" but wading into the pocket with hands low and chin out is idiotic against someone as patient and precise as Poirier and I think he would have been more defensively sound if he wasn't already gassing by rd2. I look forward to watching him fight again and hope he hasn't lost too much confidence.

It affects reaction time. Like going in slo-mo or boxing in water. It eventually takes its toll on you because you panic and feel like you have to exert more to get the same result. Iirc Marco Ruas had a similar reaction when he fought the pro wrestler in PRIDE.

Weed does something similar to me too, so i just avoid the shit. I hate the feeling of knowing that you are not in control.

Antihistamines are a large class of drugs. A lot depends on which antihistamine you are taking.

In America, Benadryl is diphenhydramine HCl. In other countries, it's usually diphenhydramine combined with another antihistamine.
Diphenhydramine not only crosses the blood/brain barrier, it will impair cognitive function and make you sleepy and slow.
Dramamine is diphenhydramine mixed with a stimulant to offset the side effects: a downer mixed with an upper.

Zyrtec is ceterizine. It does not cross the blood/brain barrier. In most people, consumption of the drug has no side effects.
I don't know of any study evaluating effect of ceterizine on athletes, but millions of people take ceterizine daily during allergy season with almost zero reported side effects.

Loratadine is Claritin, also does not cross B/B barrier, also virtually free of side effects, for most people.

I'm not familiar with the idea of "histamine intolerance" triggered by physical activity.
In the context of physiological response, a histamine cascade event resulting in hives/itching/runny nose/sneezing/etc is usually a response to a severe allergen.
If exertion triggers a cascade, thus leading to antihistamine therapy to prevent the cascade, exertion is probably not the actual problem, for most people.
I'd look for an underlying low-grade food allergy. Milk, nuts, etc. It could even be laundry detergent, fabric softener, soap, shampoo, etc.
@Superzorro

HTH.

A lot of fighters get staph during training camps or go into fights with an injury. Nobody cares. Fight showed he isn't at that level yet. His striking is mediocre and needs a lot of work

I’d say the fight showed he IS at that level. He dominated the first round.

How hard is it to understand that he's saying it sapped his energy?
Wtf do you think he's saying? That he lost technique because of it?

Before the fight, Chael made a video about how anti-biotics can actually have a pretty large effect.

He got exposed. His striking is trash.. Toughness and grit can only take you so far before you run into the top guys who are also tough but skilled.

I’d say the fight showed he IS at that level. He dominated the first round.
He took a guy who always had average TDD down, big deal lol. You can tell how bad his striking was when they were on their feet.

I appreciate this info.
For sure. And that is not speculative or something I pulled out of my ass like these other posts. I posted links in the other post which you saw. Sherdog cracks me up; you can post science articles and proof all day and people will ignore it and continue to post half-baked conjecture.

I would also add that staph does not cause fatigue until you reach the level of systemic infection, which this guy surely didn't have.

Where’s the source of infection? Tonsillitis? Dick infection? Pneumonia? Is he saying he just recovered from one?

Either way for a special forces guy (admittedly from France) it’s a wet excuse.

For sure. And that is not speculative or something I pulled out of my ass like these other posts. I posted links in the other post which you saw. Sherdog cracks me up; you can post science articles and proof all day and people will ignore it and continue to post half-baked conjecture.

I would also add that staph does not cause fatigue until you reach the level of systemic infection, which this guy surely didn't have.
"staph does not cause fatigue until you reach the level of systemic infection, which this guy surely didn't have."

I've actually heard this part^^. I should have known all this myself given I've had staph twice in the last 3 years. Lol, I posted pics before actually, pretty gross and hurts like hell.

Back