Anyone else still physically going to work?

About to go there now. Work has been stressing me out so bad, this virus has been making things crazy. I think it’s about time I take my weeks paid vacation

have to go to work tomorrow even though we had a infection there

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Still doing manual labour for a house reno company.

Im a male nurse. So while theres nothing worse than being a murse, the silver lining is i will inevitably be dead from corona soon. Ill be saved from my embarrassment.

About to go there now. Work has been stressing me out so bad, this virus has been making things crazy. I think it’s about time I take my weeks paid vacation
Where you working at now, bro?

I got a degree in engineering, but I never worked as an engineer. I graduated with my Bachelors at 34 years old and wasn't willing to take a $9/hr job in a lab. When it comes to Materials Science there's not a whole lot of decently paid work for having a Bachelors, and truth be told I fucking hated the engineering work I did in school. That kind of work just wasn't for me and I knew right away when I graduated that I likely wasn't going to actually work in the engineering field. By the time I realized that I hated engineering I was only 2 semesters away from graduating and I had already put in 4+ years of hard work, so I just went ahead and finished up the degree.

I kind of fell bass ackwards into BBQ; I started cooking for me and my foreign roommates when I was in college, and I really just fell in love with the process. I had 3 roommates with one from Saudi Arabi, another from Nepal, and one from Mongolia. None of them had ever tried American BBQ before, and I smoked up a brisket one day...we all sat there and ate the whole fucking thing in about an hour...unreal! So I graduated, no jobs were in my region for my education level (and again, I didn't want to sit in a lab all day long), so my wife pushed me to pursue BBQ since I loved it so much. It took some time but now I'm running a successful food truck and it's a great life. 100% beats the ever living shit out of sitting in a cubicle or staring down a microscope counting cracks in a failed piece of material. haha

I've read unless you are in computational or electrical that jobs can be hard to find. What a shame that you had to spend so much effort and time in school to find that out. Have you always enjoyed bbqing? Are you using family recipes or from outside/online sources? My wife and her mother looked into possibly starting a food truck, but the startup cost and uncertainties of investment returns has kept the wife doing what she's doing now.

Still working in office, we are a small office of 5 people. Hours were reduced from 9-5:30 to 10-4:30. We are setup to remote into work if need be but we are considered essential workers so for now we are remaining in office. It makes no sense as we can all work from home and accomplish our daily tasks.

I got a degree in engineering, but I never worked as an engineer. I graduated with my Bachelors at 34 years old and wasn't willing to take a $9/hr job in a lab. When it comes to Materials Science there's not a whole lot of decently paid work for having a Bachelors, and truth be told I fucking hated the engineering work I did in school. That kind of work just wasn't for me and I knew right away when I graduated that I likely wasn't going to actually work in the engineering field. By the time I realized that I hated engineering I was only 2 semesters away from graduating and I had already put in 4+ years of hard work, so I just went ahead and finished up the degree.

I kind of fell bass ackwards into BBQ; I started cooking for me and my foreign roommates when I was in college, and I really just fell in love with the process. I had 3 roommates with one from Saudi Arabi, another from Nepal, and one from Mongolia. None of them had ever tried American BBQ before, and I smoked up a brisket one day...we all sat there and ate the whole fucking thing in about an hour...unreal! So I graduated, no jobs were in my region for my education level (and again, I didn't want to sit in a lab all day long), so my wife pushed me to pursue BBQ since I loved it so much. It took some time but now I'm running a successful food truck and it's a great life. 100% beats the ever living shit out of sitting in a cubicle or staring down a microscope counting cracks in a failed piece of material. haha

Good for you man! I'm very envious. I get paid well for what I do but I'm always looking for something that would light a fire under my ass instead of dragging my feet every time I have to go to work.

I've read unless you are in computational or electrical that jobs can be hard to find. What a shame that you had to spend so much effort and time in school to find that out. Have you always enjoyed bbqing? Are you using family recipes or from outside/online sources? My wife and her mother looked into possibly starting a food truck, but the startup cost and uncertainties of investment returns has kept the wife doing what she's doing now.

It depends on experience, anyone who has minimum 4-5 years of experience is literally getting offers thrown at them, and this is coming from a mech. Although I don't work anymore, just run my own business. My dad runs a restaurant, and I know how much stress he is always under, but in the high times, he see a lot of cash. Personally wouldn't do it though.

I’m still working everyday. I’m only in the office 5 days a week though and work from my phone on weekends. I work in Healthcare in drug and alcohol treatment so we have clients in my facilities getting 24 hour care and staff needs to be onsite with them foing 30 minute rounds. The virus has drastically changed our nursing protocols and has made for a level of panic for clients and staff alike.

Still physically going to work full time. My wife got to telework for 2 weeks, but now has to go in tomorrow. Daycare/preschool still open since we are essential, but we decided to keep them home so I plan to work 5 hour days Mon-Sat for the next 2 weeks. After that she gets to telework again for 2 weeks straight and then we will re-evaluate since it will be May by then. I have to use some of my own leave though whereas my wife gets to telework or use admin leave. Sucks because we both work for the federal government in the same hospital, but different agencies.

Good for you man. My brother got his bachelors and masters in electrical engineering, one of the top of his class. He worked as a engineer for about 4-5 years, but he hated it so he quit a high paying job and for over a year he just worked for my dad building custom homes or home renovations. After that he worked for the state as a engineer, but not really doing EE work and much lower pay. Then he moved to another state with his wife. Was working as a engineer for a little bit, but now is working as a electrician. He wants to be a elevator technician or whatever they are called. I guess he loves to work with his hands and actually work on things or build things rather then sit behind a computer even if that means less pay, but at least he is happier.

I'm from Las Vegas and in general the west coast doesn't have much of a BBQ scene. I got stationed here in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and out here BBQ is whole hog mixed with a very abrasive amount of vinegar. For my palate it's horrible and I still to this day HATE what they call "eastern NC BBQ" as it's just way too much vinegar. What really set it off was the show BBQ Pitmasters as that was the first time I had seen BBQ that wasn't just floating in distilled white vinegar. So I spent a month or so learning about "low and slow" smoking, flavor combinations, and smoked a rack of Baby Back Ribs...holy shit they were amazing. From there it really took off and was something I would do all night long while I was studying or writing lab reports.

So no family recipes, but I've come up with my own rubs and sauces which I use on the food truck. The startup costs and uncertainties were absolutely terrifying! Since you're serving food to the public you're dealing with the Health Department and Environmental Health, so there's really nowhere that you can go and do a "test run" to see if what you're doing is what people want. I jumped in with both feet, went as cheap as possible to start, and it was a hard grind, but after a while I finally built up a solid customer base and I'm doing well. Day to day it's a super hard job though and I work as hard now as I did in the Marines when I was a tanker.

I work in telecommunications as a technician, still have work. In Australia, they have closed down all businesses deemed non-essential and forced others to work from home, I work in an exchange or in mobile/radio base station huts mostly so don't come in contact with too many people anyway.

Still working. My company moved me from "building restoration" back to my initial roots of working on bridges, which is essential.

Yes, not because my job is essential, but because Taiwan is one of the few countries that have successfully kept the pandemic under control and does not require a wide scale quarantine so far. (One of the earliest to have a case and only 5 deaths so far). We are also one of the few countries where elementary schools are still open.

ysp. Union sprinkler fitter. Life safety. My rides to and from work have gone from 1mph to 90 mph

Im stuck at work for atleast this week. Opening schools so teachers can get their resources to teach online. fml.

Back