Aside from prime andy, does any mw beat izzy?

bjpenngoat

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
All time stuff here. Is there anyone at 185 that you would favor over izzy?

Romero if he engaged. Fatty was close it was 2-2 going into the last round. I honestly could see urija hall beating him. Costa has a shot but his biggest threat is tim boetsch

Prime Chris and Jacare would be rightfully favored due to the large grappling discrepancy.

How good is Izzys takedown defense? Honest question, I’ve only seen a few of his fights and don’t recall him being tested.

I could see guys like Hendo and Weidman (five fights ago Weidman) giving him a fight. Gastelum busted him up good on that loss.

Izzy is so technical I could also see him making those guys look silly on the feet.

His striking is above average but he's not been tested on the ground enough. Grapplers like Wiedman, Rockhold, Chael, Hendo, Sakuraba, Jacare likely give him a lot of trouble on the ground. A few MW strikers with good ground games likely beat him like Machida, Wandy, Moose.

If he scraped by Fastelum then it would be no surprise if he lost to top middleweights of previous generations during their primes.

How many really good MW wrestlers have there been?
If Chael had done what he did to Anderson the first time when fighting Adesanya he'd beat him as Adesanya isn't getting the sub win.

Yoel and Jacare circa 2015/16 both beat him. Jacare likely finishes him on the mat

Weidman circa 2013/14 as well has a real shot of beating him. His standup was similar to Anderson in that hes almost purely doing his work on the counter. Izzy has better TDD than Anderson but his clinch game wasnt as good (and Chris nearly KOd Anderson inside and dropped him) and Chris gurappling threat would still be real

Luke would eviscerate him if it got the mat but hes too chinny and porous defensively standing

Rickson by armbar

Prime hendo could beat anyone.

If he wasn't so cocky, I think Rockhold would have a good chance because he has great kicks and ground game.

If he wasn't so cocky, I think Rockhold would have a good chance because he has great kicks and ground game.
Luke’s cocky and also thinks he can strike with people. If he just stuck to what he is best at, he would be a very thought out for anybody.

A dominant striker like Adesanya, who is really solid in the other areas, is in my opinion more likely to get beaten then a really dominant wrestler who's solid in all other areas (e.g. Khabib).

So yeah, he could get beaten, even if it's a "lucky" shot.

That being said, i think Prime Silva against Adesanya is a toss up.

In the current middleweight division, i don't see anyone aside from Romero (who just got beaten by Israel) posing him too much of a threat to not be a favourite.

The great Chael Sonnen would've manhandled him

Back