PBP Bellator 263: Pitbull vs. McKee, Sat. 7/31, 7 PM ET/4 PM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who gets it done at Bellator 263?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought bellator switched and went to white gloves but now they're back to color coded gloves? Did something change? I remember rumble 's fight he was wearing white gloves. They were supposed to be the new and improved gloves.

Out of the entire Bellator event:

Khabib helping Daniel Carey onto stretcher showed class

I don't think anything will ever replace, but I'd like to see guys being able to achieve more universally respected glory under at least one other Banner.

Amen - I enjoy so many Orgs and I would like the overall picture to elevate and embrace.

I thought bellator switched and went to white gloves but now they're back to color coded gloves? Did something change? I remember rumble 's fight he was wearing white gloves. They were supposed to be the new and improved gloves.

White Gloves are Tournament Specials.

Have we seen Contract Buy-Outs before? I know the MM / Askren thing ?

I'm a bit too toasted to remember. And bout to Wax on some more.
Askren is the only example I can think of, but i've seen many loop holes get exploited in this regard in the far more commercial sport of Soccer.

AJ could price himself out of fights, retire, relinquish like Jones and Conor, and they can offer him Borics and show them his contract.. I can't see any of it going smoothly, least damage option imo would be a rematch with Pitbull to bide some time.

Wax on brother!

There's better competition for WWE since WCW with AEW though. I agree with you, that UFC dominance cookie is going to be an extremely hard one to to crack. You never know for sure though.
If the antitrust lawsuit achieves one thing I hope it succeeds in getting rid of the illegal clauses in the contacts. Champions clause is just one. The right to match is worse than the champions clause in my opinion. What other situation is it legal to force somebody to work for you? You go down to HR and are like,
“Hey my employment contract is up in 2 weeks so I’ve accepted a position at ACME.”
HR: “No we matched their offer so you’re stuck. You can always sit at home earning no money for a year if you really want out.”

oh ok. Thanks. Man, I think its stupid to code the gloves to whatever the fuck is going on.

The red/blue is alright.

Hah if I don't know the fighters well I oft confuse myself with tape vs glove vs shorts - few orgs do it UFC style, some Bellator... Some their own...

Courts aren't stupid. If you try to pull something like this then yes they'll be wise to it.

Look, he has 1 fight left on his contract. Champion's clause adds 3 fights to that. So he just has to fight 4 more fights in Bellator and then he can do whatever he wants. 4 fights could take 15 months, could take 2 years, could take 4 years, that's up to him.
Okay thanks for the numbers, we'll see I guess you could be totally right, I don't think it's necessarily that simple when dude is a millionaire star bigger than the entire roster right now, i'm certain he'll have people around him looking for the Mega Legacy Champ-Champ fights ASAP.

Out of the entire Bellator event:

Khabib helping Daniel Carey onto stretcher showed class

That's real right there. Hadn't seen it, thanks for posting.

If the antitrust lawsuit achieves one thing I hope it succeeds in getting rid of the illegal clauses in the contacts. Champions clause is just one. The right to match is worse than the champions clause in my opinion. What other situation is it legal to force somebody to work for you? You go down to HR and are like,
“Hey my employment contract is up in 2 weeks so I’ve accepted a position at ACME.”
HR: “No we matched their offer so you’re stuck. You can always sit at home earning no money for a year if you really want out.”

Didn't they (WWE) just get fekked on the Compete Clauses too?

I remember reading an article or two making a sizeable deal of it. Basically Career Killers.

Oh shit - he can't even coach or be a trainer.

I gotta up my "Contract" game - Tho we never know all the bits I would assume that's something they want standard...
Nah I think you’d be good as a coach or trainer so long as you’re not working for another promotion. I can’t imagine how a coach would be employed by a promotion. IFL situation maybe?

Didn't they (WWE) just get fekked on the Compete Clauses too?

I remember reading an article or two making a sizeable deal of it. Basically Career Killers.
I’m not sure I know what a compete clause is.

Nah I think you’d be good as a coach or trainer so long as you’re not working for another promotion. I can’t imagine how a coach would be employed by a promotion. IFL situation maybe?

render his services as a professional fighter or in any other capacity to any other mixed martial art, martial art, boxing, professional wrestling, or any other fighting competition or exhibition, except as otherwise expressly permitted by this Agreement.”

That's a pretty brutal bottom line. Sounds like Corner or Coach to me or least ya cant Train other Pros?

That's real right there. Hadn't seen it, thanks for posting.
I've always questioned him - Tonight I became a fan.

Funny, it happened after his fighting career.

I’m not sure I know what a compete clause is.

Can't compete for another Organization for X Months/Years - lots are like 36 months...

Same as in Business contracts ya sign...can't work for a competitive organization for X years (software design, etc).

render his services as a professional fighter or in any other capacity to any other mixed martial art, martial art, boxing, professional wrestling, or any other fighting competition or exhibition, except as otherwise expressly permitted by this Agreement.”

That's a pretty brutal bottom line. Sounds like Corner or Coach to me or least ya cant Train other Pros?
I interpret “services” as fighting/competing. We see lots of UFC fighters coaching/cornering guys in other orgs.

I interpret “services” as fighting/competing. We see lots of UFC fighters coaching/cornering guys in other orgs.

I agree we see it - jus wondering how dickish they can get with it based on verbiage.

I end up interpreting lots of RAI vs RAW (Rules as Intended vs Rules as Written). Such piques muh curiosity.

Can't compete for another Organization for X Months/Years - lots are like 36 months...

Same as in Business contracts ya sign...can't work for a competitive organization for X years (software design, etc).
Oh. Well as I remember it the clauses are:
Champions- automatic extension for 1 year or 3 fights, whichever comes sooner.
Right to match: 1 year period where the fighter is required to submit all outside offers to zuffa who is then allowed to match and retain services.

Either one can be circumvented by sacrificing 1 year of your career. The right to match you’d have to sit out and not field any offers because once you submit an offer from another promotion to the UFC, you’re automatically re-signed if the choose to match it.

I agree we see it - jus wondering how dickish they can get with it based on verbiage.

I end up interpreting lots of RAI vs RAW (Rules as Intended vs Rules as Written). Such piques muh curiosity.
Another great thing that could potentially come from the antitrust lawsuit is they have to start treating them like independent contractors. You should only be allowed to sign fighters for no more than 2 fights. Then they can really take advantage of being an independent contractor. The UFC and Bellator for that matter would really have to start competing for talent. I don’t know how realistic it is to hope for that though.

Back