Bellator MMA to Showtime

VPN set to France and just watch on their YouTube channel and if you have Fight Pass just set it to Germany to bypass ESPN and watch all the non ppv stuff.

I wonder if Bellator will still show the prelims on their Youtube channel/website?

Also, I thought when FP did their shitty site upgrade around the end of 2019 they can detect VPNs now. One of the reasons why I cancelled, along with their downgraded video player.

You think it will do better behind a paywall???
Better than 200K-250K, yes. Strikeforce ratings weren't that bad on Showtime when you compare them to what Bellator has been doing the last few years. Also, remember a lot of the Strikeforce fighters that are big names now where nobodies then.

The biggest difference you'll see is people who pay for Showtime seek out Showtime channels when they are looking for something to watch. People aren't searching out CBS sports. Case in point, when Spike changed to Paramount many cable systems the channel number didn't change(some it did). Bellator's ratings dropped by about 350K on avg. instantly even though Paramount viewership increased over Spike. Simply because Spike programming was simple minded for the most part and an easy channel just to throw on in the background more or less. So chances are Bellator ratings were inflated at that time.

Also to this day Showtime still replays Strikeforce events. So I'm assuming they'll start replaying Bellator events. Which can help bring in viewers that Spike and Paramount weren't doing for them.

Even though its behind a paywall now its better than CBS sports that only fans of Bellator were seeking out for an event. It wasn't helping attract new viewers on any level. Not too mention I think Coker was going more or less unchecked with alot of events and really hurt the product.

Showtime is better than CBS Sports, no doubt about that. People don't even stumble through that channel on accident since its buried in the sports section of any cable package. At least with Showtime people sure the hell know what channel it is.

So your main gripe with CBS Sports (a free cable channel) is that you can't find it on your channel guide, so you'd rather pay extra for a premium channel instead?

So your main gripe with CBS Sports (a free cable channel) is that you can't find it on your channel guide, so you'd rather pay extra for a premium channel instead?

It isn't about me finding that channel. I'm a fan I'll find it.

It's the general public. It isn't a channel people surf through. We all have are go to channels if we are just kicking back. If you are a subscriber of Showtime you probably more often than not flip through their channels most times when your just surfing through channels(I know I do). You have a better chance on Showtime gaining fringe viewers than on CBS Sports. Showtime is also better than being on DAZN for fans. But DAZN crazy money they were paying was great for business.

Showtime is better than CBS Sports, no doubt about that. People don't even stumble through that channel on accident since its buried in the sports section of any cable package. At least with Showtime people sure the hell know what channel it is.

Showtime is 10.99 streaming or is included in a lot of cable/satellite packages beyond the base packages. You go the streaming route your talking $132 a year and Showtime has ton of other programming to partake in beyond the world of sports, great original series. I'd gladly pay an extra $32 over what Dazn has giving fans in the US.

I can't defend Coker, you know I've pointed out his flaws many times on here. Hoping with Espinoza involved Coker's blunders are cut down massively, especially on the matchmaking side. Hopefully Showtime's sports people are helping behind the scenes to help produce a better product overall.

P.S.: I agree the press conference was pretty bush league from start to finish.
I think the press conference was corny AF but at the same time, isnt that what Bellator does all the time? Maybe it looks shitty to us hardcores but maybe casuals buy into the whole corniness of it. I'll tell you this, I wouldnt want it to look like the UFC's press conferences either, they need to create a whole new identity, even for press conferences. I think if they tone down the whole wrestling intro of fighters and make it a bit more professional its gonna look way better. Production value was pretty good, too. At least on that end, you can already see Showtime hand on it.

Also, I have seen a lot of ShoSports ads and Bellator ads since yesterday, something I hadnt seen in ages. I guess they will finally invest some money on marketing, which can go a long way to make Bellator an established brand. I cant help but think that they should have advertised something during the Super Bowl coverage, wasnt Super Bowl aired through CBS? Overall, I think this is a positive step in the right direction for sure.

Got to give it to Bellator I am impressed with the new fights announced.

Hopefully showtime will replace Goldie with Mauro and put someone other than Thompson or big John on the color. That would make it even better

I believe we will get much better cards than we have in the past under Coker event after event. Espinoza isn't going to stand for the shit cards Coker puts together all to often. It's big reason they started the Strikeforce Challenger series. It was simply because Showtime wasn't going to pay the same rate per an event for that kind of a card. They also stepped in multiple times and to use their power in the matchmaking of an event. I'm pretty sure the same will apply now.
I think Espinoza is good for Bellator, I think we are about to see an overall improvement of the product.

strikeforce did kinda destroy the ufc

Rousy blew up WMMA
DC became a double champ
rockhold became champ
cyborg became champ
Lawler became champ
Woodley became champ
werdum became champ
Nick diaz fought for the belt
Hendo fought for the belt
Jacare fought for the belt
Jake shields fought for the belt
Overeem fought for the belt
OSP fought for the belt

other solid guys like moose, gill melendez, Josh thompson, Arlovski

Strikeforce was lit

Here’s a plot twist for you Thomson, Henderson, Diaz, Lawler, Arlovski, Werdum, etc. all fought in the UFC before Strikeforce.

Free Cards on CBS. PPV on SHOWTIME
I know a lot of people were complaining because this move puts Bellator behind a paywall instead of it being free but realistically I dont see Bellator moving to CBS anytime soon. Maybe if they get some hype behind the LHW GP and some solid showings on Showtime and hopefully within 2 years they could move to CBS for a couple of tentpole vents. But right now, I dont think it would be possible or even a good idea. It might hurt them more than it would benefit them. The UFC did decent numbers headlined by Holloway, I dont think Bellator would do any better than that.

I imagine the issue was making sure that participants would be ready for April, not holding up MW division, and keeping some good talent outside of the tournament so that there is interest in other 205 fights as participants get eliminated, and build up some stories.
I want to see Anglickas, Albertkson, and Puetz as alternates. IMO, Anglickas has a better chance at winning the whole thing that Machida or Bader.

What else is good Showtime other than Bellator?
Like any hit shows? Or other sports? Cool series? Or movies?

I need more than Bellator to justify this purchase.
No idea but its $5 a month, I dont think thats going to break anyones bank.

No idea but its $5 a month, I dont think thats going to break anyones bank.
I have showtime already. Showtime boxing is really good. Shobox series for prospects, probably the best of its kind in the business. Plus movies and series

Still the GP isn't close to what Strikeforce HW GP was, but very reminiscent. They had Fedor involved which would of been like having Jones today.

Got to give it to Bellator I am impressed with the new fights announced.

Hopefully showtime will replace Goldie with Mauro and put someone other than Thompson or big John on the color. That would make it even better
Mauro is garbage too. Shit can the whole team, bring in new people altogether.

The same gullible Sherdog Bellator enthusiast remain the same Sherdog Bellator enthusiast selling their laughable propaganda about Coker's Bellator with every move that Bellator has made under Coker despite seeing the evidence of the consistent failures of Bellator's moves under Coker that has been the reasons for Bellator's constant moves under Coker. Pretty much none of the moves has worked for Bellator under Coker's Bellator Presidency. Hence why nothing sticks. Hence why Bellator has no identity under Coker except being a ex-UFC fighters playground. Constant failures and not meeting expectations has been the reasons for constant moves. Next will be some other move several years down the because this move won't work. If Bellator moves and big announcements have been working so great, there would never have been any reason to keep making these moves and big announcements so constantly in the first place. Under Viacom and since hiring Coker in June 2014, Bellator has gone from Paramount to DAZN to CBS Sports Network to Showtime.. Pick a lane already.

Last edited:
I dont think Bellator can get good numbers on CBS, at least not yet. If the UFC headlined by Max Holloway did only OK numbers, Bellator wont do any better. I'm assuming Bellator can pull better numbers than 200k on Showtime but it will be interesting for sure to see how they fare compared to boxing.

depends what you consider good. For network tv if you are on at the right time anything can get a decent rating just by being on.

Like that UFC/ABC card wasnt a great card on paper and on Sat afternoon vs nFL playoffs did ok but even a good card in primetime is only gonna get you similar ratings to what they did on Fox. Probably 2-3 mill unless you went with a real star which aint gonna happen.

if Bellator went with CBS show in primetime with limited comp, put Cyborg, some names from UFC people heard of, good title fight, prospect etc just being in CBS they'd do 1.5 mill easy imo. You could air black screen and that shit would still do 500k probably.

I think the press conference was corny AF but at the same time, isnt that what Bellator does all the time? Maybe it looks shitty to us hardcores but maybe casuals buy into the whole corniness of it. I'll tell you this, I wouldnt want it to look like the UFC's press conferences either, they need to create a whole new identity, even for press conferences. I think if they tone down the whole wrestling intro of fighters and make it a bit more professional its gonna look way better. Production value was pretty good, too. At least on that end, you can already see Showtime hand on it.

Also, I have seen a lot of ShoSports ads and Bellator ads since yesterday, something I hadnt seen in ages. I guess they will finally invest some money on marketing, which can go a long way to make Bellator an established brand. I cant help but think that they should have advertised something during the Super Bowl coverage, wasnt Super Bowl aired through CBS? Overall, I think this is a positive step in the right direction for sure.

It seemed that they were aiming for kind of a pro-wrestling vibe with the press conference but the problem was that none of the fighters showed any kind of personality and kept being nice and complimentary to each other.

They need to teach some of these guys how to sell a fight.

It seemed that they were aiming for kind of a pro-wrestling vibe with the press conference but the problem was that none of the fighters showed any kind of personality and kept being nice and complimentary to each other.

They need to teach some of these guys how to sell a fight.
See? This is why we see things differently. Some of us don't want that unnecessary drama and bullshit.

We have enough of it in the UFC. Let's keep it nice and simple in Bellator, it's much better like this.

See? This is why we see things differently. Some of us don't want that unnecessary drama and bullshit.

We have enough of it in the UFC. Let's keep it nice and simple in Bellator, it's much better like this.

It doesn't really sell though. All of the people who sold PPVs and brought in TV viewers had a bit of an edge to them. Conor, Jones, Brock, Ronda, Rampage, Tito, Shamrock, Izzy etc are the fighters who've brought the most money and interest into MMA.

Otherwise you end up with Mighty Mouse being an amazing fighter that casual fans just don't care about.

It doesn't really sell though. All of the people who sold PPVs and brought in TV viewers had a bit of an edge to them. Conor, Jones, Brock, Ronda, Rampage, Tito, Shamrock, Izzy etc are the fighters who've brought the most money and interest into MMA.

Otherwise you end up with Mighty Mouse being an amazing fighter that casual fans just don't care about.
Rampage was not annoying. I don't care if they have weird/crazy personalities, that doesn't bother me at all. But those fake beefs and stuff for kids, that is pathetic and I don't want to see that.

Sorry but nothing that Conor ever did, impressed me. "I have money, I'm rich". Ok buddy, f#ck off, I'm here for fights not to see your yacht. <45>

Do you get it now?

Back