Elections Canadian Federal Election 2019 Thread

To be fair most of bc is on albertas side when it comes to the pipeline. Way she goes. The sun is shining and the world keeps turning..

I guess there wasn't enough left in the coffers to pay for a congratulatory tweet from Obama, eh?

It doesn’t deserve mockery, but when it’s objectively evaluated, is it at all realistic? So now there’s going to be the country of Alberta, swimming up to its ears in oil, but completely landlocked on all sides, the closest route to the sea being blocked by a province that showed little concern for the plight of Alberta when they were still under the national banner. How is that better? Then we have to consider that at some point in the not so distant future, our reliance on oil will be greatly reduced. Then what?
What’s the other possibility, joining the US? They have their own version of transfer payments which would see Alberta paying even more while having even less say in national matters due to its small population.

I don't think it's wanted or practical , but there's nothing stopping Alberta block party who continues to split votes or push for Western identity. The pathways for that are quite easy

Are you talking about a Alberta succession vote in the 90s? I don't recall that. Sorry if I missed something.

Our first past the post electoral system is antquitated. It allows over representation by a minority political philosophy/party. It encourages regionalism.

We should either revamp our electoral system or the federation.

In a lot of ways Quebec and Alberta do not need to be in the same country.

I'm a white person in Toronto so god help me in the country of Ontario.

No, the Quebec seperation vote of the 90's. I know that Quebec ratification plays a certain role in that, but we have pathways for alienated feeling provinces who self indentify as their own people

This plus support for the Conservatives is why I have a tough time giving a tinker's damn about Alberta's complaints of being hard done by:
Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund
"During the late 1980s and 1990s, the view emerged that government "should not be in the business of business"[5] and should not be so actively engaged in shaping the future. The Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund was shifted away from strategic business investments to become a savings tool investing for financial return. Investment into the fund was halted in 1987.[4][12]:101 Ralph Klein, who was Alberta Premier from 1992 through 2007, used the HSTF to fund special projects to encourage economic diversification.[13] During the mid-1990s, public opinion turned against allowing governments to dip into the Heritage fund to fund special projects, and instead all income earned each year began to be withdrawn from the fund and added to general revenues."

They had every opportunity to protect themselves against future downturns and decided to line their pockets for short-term gains instead. How old is that bible story about Joseph's dreams of the seven years of plenty and seven years of famine? I thought those western conservatives were all about that shit but apparently they're as willing to vote against their self-interest as Bible-belt Americans.

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

18.1 Billion is all it's amounted to, in other words, a hill of beans. A few years worth of Ralph bucks. What a fucking joke, and I'm sure it's everyone but the governing party of 40 years in Alberta's fault.

It doesn’t deserve mockery, but when it’s objectively evaluated, is it at all realistic? So now there’s going to be the country of Alberta, swimming up to its ears in oil, but completely landlocked on all sides, the closest route to the sea being blocked by a province that showed little concern for the plight of Alberta when they were still under the national banner. How is that better? Then we have to consider that at some point in the not so distant future, our reliance on oil will be greatly reduced. Then what?
What’s the other possibility, joining the US? They have their own version of transfer payments which would see Alberta paying even more while having even less say in national matters due to its small population.

There's one thing I'm certain of: Alberta the 51 State would be treated with a hell lot more respect from other States than they are getting from their fellow Canadians.

Looking in from outside, it's actually sickening to see how other provinces (especially Quebec) think it's normal to simultaneously treats Alberta as an ATM as well as a punching bag. I mean, just look at the hostility Alberta are getting in this thread from their own "fellow friendly Canadians", what exactly has Albertans done to them?

This alienation bs is not normal, man. Why would you be anything but grateful to the blokes who helps fund your generous social programs, and why not do what you can to help out your neighbor in return so that everyone can prosper together?

There are plenty of differences between the 50 U.S states, but at the end of the day we are all patriotic Americans first and foremost. Sure, we enjoy laughing at the crazy headlines from Florida and the crazy politicians in California, but in my entire lifetime I have never seen any state being so antagonistic and adversarial to another state the way that Alberta are treated every day by other provinces, who seems to thinks it's completely okay to screw with their economic livelihood while simultaneously sticking their hands out for the provincial welfare made possible by the very things they are vocally against.

That's not how fellow countrymen should be treating one another, man. If one day Albertans have had enough and seriously wants to join the U.S, we'd welcome them with open arms, and other states will treat them with the same respect that we have for each other.

Last edited:
There's one thing I'm certain of: Alberta the 51 State would be treated with a hell lot more respect from other States than they are getting from their fellow Canadians.

Looking in from outside, it's actually sickening to see how other provinces (especially Quebec) think it's normal to simultaneously treats Alberta as an ATM as well as a punching bag. I mean, just look at the hostility they are getting in this thread from their own "fellow friendly Canadians" as a thank you for the billions of dollars that Alberta have been contributing to the federation!

This alienation bs is not normal, man. Why would you be anything but grateful to the blokes that fund your generous social programs and do what you can to help out your neighbor in return so that everyone can prosper together?

There are plenty of differences between the 50 U.S states, but at the day we are all patriotic Americans first and foremost. Sure, we enjoy laughing at the crazy headlines from Florida and the crazy politicians in California, but in my entire lifetime I have never seen any state being so antagonistic and adversarial to another state the way that Alberta are treated every day by other provinces, who thinks it's completely okay to screw with their economic livelihood while simultaneously sticking their hands out for the provincial welfare made possible by the very things they are vocally against.

That hypocrisy isn't right, man.

<bball1>

Are you talking about a Alberta succession vote in the 90s? I don't recall that. Sorry if I missed something.

Our first past the post electoral system is antquitated. It allows over representation by a minority political philosophy/party. It encourages regionalism.

We should either revamp our electoral system or the federation.

In a lot of ways Quebec and Alberta do not need to be in the same country.

I'm a white person in Toronto so god help me in the country of Ontario.
Here's the thing about electoral reform, though. Are you aware that "A referendum vote was held along with the 2019 provincial general election. Voters received two ballots in the election, one to vote for the candidate of their choice in their district and the second ballot to vote on the Electoral System Referendum.

The Referendum ballot asked the question "Should Prince Edward Island change its voting system to a mixed member proportional voting system?"."

The answer was a resounding meh.

"There was a threshold set for the referendum of 50% +1 of voters in 17 districts to be declared the winner, whether it be for the "No" vote or the "Yes" vote.
Following the vote there was no clear winner as neither side was able to secure 17 districts. The outcome had the Opponents winning in 12 districts, with the Proponents winning in 15 districts."

I believed Trudeau when he said they went across the country gauging the interest in it and it just wasn't there relative to other issues because this is proof.

Hopefully since he only has a minority, he won't be able (or will just be too lazy) to pull off some of the shit he promised, especially the gun laws. If Trudeau choses not fuck with our current gun laws (which are damn near perfect), I'm really not going to lose sleep over another 4 years of this dope.

Hopefully since he only has a minority, he won't be able (or will just be too lazy) to pull off some of the shit he promised, especially the gun laws. If Trudeau choses not fuck with our current gun laws (which are damn near perfect), I'm really not going to lose sleep over another 4 years of this dope.

Except JT now needs to placate the even crazier NDP in order to pass legislation.. So local handgun gun bans are basically a sure thing now, while I think libs could have dithered on that promise had they won convincingly. Libs don't really want to push gun control because they still have nightmares of the long-gun registry debacle that cost them so many rural votes in 2012. That is why they have been offering what progressives consider half measures since.

Except JT now needs to placate the even crazier NDP in order to pass legislation.. So local handgun gun bans are basically a sure thing now, while I think libs could have dithered on that promise had they won convincingly. Libs don't really want to push gun control because they still have nightmares of the long-gun registry debacle that cost them so many rural votes in 2012. That is why they have been offering half measures since.

They can ban handguns in Toronto if they want, I don't mind that (even though I think it's retarded). I just don't want them touching the ARs, because as an AR owner, I know they're totally neat-o!

They say they want to give municipalities the ability to do such things, but a sober second thought shows how slim the possibility is. Let's not forget that the Firearms Act is tied to the CCC; they would have to rewrite it, which I doubt happens with all the green shaming, other identity politics and the sword of another snap election looming above their heads.

At least, that's what I hope.

Looking in from outside, it's actually sickening to see how other provinces (especially Quebec) think it's normal to simultaneously treats Alberta as an ATM as well as a punching bag. I mean, just look at the hostility Alberta are getting in this thread from their own "fellow friendly Canadians", what exactly has Albertans done to them?

This alienation bs is not normal, man. Why would you be anything but grateful to the blokes who helps fund your generous social programs, and why not do what you can to help out your neighbor in return so that everyone can prosper together?

There are plenty of differences between the 50 U.S states, but at the end of the day we are all patriotic Americans first and foremost. Sure, we enjoy laughing at the crazy headlines from Florida and the crazy politicians in California, but in my entire lifetime I have never seen any state being so antagonistic and adversarial to another state the way that Alberta are treated every day by other provinces, who seems to thinks it's completely okay to screw with their economic livelihood while simultaneously sticking their hands out for the provincial welfare made possible by the very things they are vocally against.

That's not how fellow countrymen should be treating one another, man. If one day Albertans have had enough and seriously wants to join the U.S, we'd welcome them with open arms, and other states will treat them with the same respect that we have for each other.

I’m not sure you’re getting this quite right. I think you might be basing this mostly on what you see here on Sherdog. Let’s take California as an example. The US conservatives on here belittle California constantly, yet it has a massive GDP which helps fund the entire country (sound familiar?).
I’ve lived in AB, ON, NS, NB and now QC. I still go back to AB fairly regularly. In my experience, nobody (well, asides from QC) is really antagonistic towards AB. I get that people in this thread are, but I’d point again to the California example: this is Sherdog, not the general population.
As for Quebec, they need a target. If it’s not the federal government, they’ll pick someone else, and right now it’s AB. As a Canadian I can assure you though that collectively we all bitch much more about QC than any other province (some of that is deserved, sone of that isn’t. Also fun fact: Quebec pays more into transfer payments than AB, but also takes more out. So to call Quebec a welfare province is anything but the truth, but what is true is that the formula for redistributing transfers is not in Albertas favour. Fun fact 2: the formula was last revised under Harper and that revision didn’t do jack shit for Alberta).
I lived in Alberta during a part of the oil boom and yes, it was a bit ridiculous. A person with not so much as a high school diploma could go to fort Mac and make a middle class salary doing manual labour. Have excel skills? Great! We’ll pay you 100k to do data entry! Consider that AB still has the highest GDB per capita, so clearly, they’re still doing alright. What has changed however is that unskilled (or low skilled) workers can’t get the inflated wages they were getting during the boom, and I have a feeling that’s primarily the group who’s doing most of the bitching.

I love AB and I support our oil industry and I support trans mountain. Having said that, the argument that AB has driven all the economic growth in Canada and single handedly funds Quebec and the maritimes is disingenuous and uninformed. There’s of course a grain of truth to it, but the arguments brought up by the so called seperatists are about as misinformed as those by their counterparts in Quebec. However, the transfer formula deserves a revision (at least to include Quebec’s hydro revenue ffs), but that will be difficult to achieve because even Conservative governments pander to Quebec.

I’m not sure you’re getting this quite right. I think you might be basing this mostly on what you see here on Sherdog. Let’s take California as an example. The US conservatives on here belittle California constantly, yet it has a massive GDP which helps fund the entire country (sound familiar?).
I’ve lived in AB, ON, NS, NB and now QC. I still go back to AB fairly regularly. In my experience, nobody (well, asides from QC) is really antagonistic towards AB. I get that people in this thread are, but I’d point again to the California example: this is Sherdog, not the general population.
As for Quebec, they need a target. If it’s not the federal government, they’ll pick someone else, and right now it’s AB. As a Canadian I can assure you though that collectively we all bitch much more about QC than any other province (some of that is deserved, sone of that isn’t. Also fun fact: Quebec pays more into transfer payments than AB, but also takes more out. So to call Quebec a welfare province is anything but the truth, but what is true is that the formula for redistributing transfers is not in Albertas favour. Fun fact 2: the formula was last revised under Harper and that revision didn’t do jack shit for Alberta).
I lived in Alberta during a part of the oil boom and yes, it was a bit ridiculous. A person with not so much as a high school diploma could go to fort Mac and make a middle class salary doing manual labour. Have excel skills? Great! We’ll pay you 100k to do data entry! Consider that AB still has the highest GDB per capita, so clearly, they’re still doing alright. What has changed however is that unskilled (or low skilled) workers can’t get the inflated wages they were getting during the boom, and I have a feeling that’s primarily the group who’s doing most of the bitching.

I love AB and I support our oil industry and I support trans mountain. Having said that, the argument that AB has driven all the economic growth in Canada and single handedly funds Quebec and the maritimes is disingenuous and uninformed. There’s of course a grain of truth to it, but the arguments brought up by the so called seperatists are about as misinformed as those by their counterparts in Quebec. However, the transfer formula deserves a revision (at least to include Quebec’s hydro revenue ffs), but that will be difficult to achieve because even Conservative governments pander to Quebec.
For the record, I'm not antagonistic to Alberta. I'm indifferent to their whining. Just to be clear.

People here keep calling California commyfornia and saying they're dystopia with people shitting everywhere.

I, for one, have nothing against albertans. I think the problem people have with Alberta is there oilsand based economy since we would like to have renewable non polluting energy. However, I do understand that petrol is a lucrative business and it pays Canada's bill.

I obviously have my political preferences, but I can't imagine stressing out over an election result. But maybe that's just my "winner" privilege. Jagmeet, Scheer, Trudeau, May... I'm still going to have my job, I'm still going to live my life the same way. My life was pretty much that same under Harper as it was Trudeau.

So Albertans, I get it. You wanted Scheer. But the whining and hysterics going on from them is just sad. It's like liberals when Trump won. Calm the fuck down and continue to live your life.

I obviously have my political preferences, but I can't imagine stressing out over an election result. But maybe that's just my "winner" privilege. Jagmeet, Scheer, Trudeau, May... I'm still going to have my job, I'm still going to live my life the same way. My life was pretty much that same under Harper as it was Trudeau.

So Albertans, I get it. You wanted Scheer. But the whining and hysterics going on from them is just sad. It's like liberals when Trump won. Calm the fuck down and continue to live your life.
I see it somewhat the same way, but the election of Trump is a far more damaging outcome than anything that could have come of a different result in the Canadian election. I don't expect you to take my word for it; just wait and see. And it doesn't really have anything to do with being liberal or conservative in his case; he's a crook plain and simple, he's surrounded himself with crooks and cronies, and as bad as we already know it is, even more severe damage is being done that we won't find out about until after he is out of office--mark my words.

Long live the PP Party!!

Back