Elections Canadian Federal Election 2019 Thread

Yeah, I don't mean Canadian politics are determined by US politics.
Over here though, when a broad issue starts getting a lot of attention in the US, it gets attention here (often undeservedly, like the gun debate, historical statues etc). Curse of the Anglosphere. However the majority sentiment is typically reversed.
I figured the effect would be stronger in Canada, but wasn't sure on the direction.

Immigration, for example, got attention here, but the reaction of Canadians was totally different. Trump first got attention with immigration, he made it an issue, and since he made it the issue, he was the strongest on that issue. The entire Canadian right tried to follow suit, but it didn't work. Maxime Bernier based his whole campaign on what worked for Trump, even down to his debate tactics (shouting over everyone, which to be honest, is off-putting to Canadians, and it led to an embarrassing moment in the English debate). It fizzled.

On the other hand, the Liberals were mired in scandals and ethics violations for a year leading up to the election. This resulting in Canadians deciding that they didn't want the Trudeau Liberals to have a majority anymore.

On climate change, the only party that didn't want action on climate change was the one that didn't win a single seat.

Immigration, for example, got attention here, but the reaction of Canadians was totally different. Trump first got attention with immigration, he made it an issue, and since he made it the issue, he was the strongest on that issue. The entire Canadian right tried to follow suit, but it didn't work. Maxime Bernier based his whole campaign on what worked for Trump, even down to his debate tactics (shouting over everyone, which to be honest, is off-putting to Canadians, and it led to an embarrassing moment in the English debate). It fizzled.

On the other hand, the Liberals were mired in scandals and ethics violations for a year leading up to the election. This resulting in Canadians deciding that they didn't want the Trudeau Liberals to have a majority anymore.

On climate change, the only party that didn't want action on climate change was the one that didn't win a single seat.

I am so glad Max is finished. I don't agree with a lot of the Cons policies, but they are leaps and bounds a better choice for right leaning voters than he was.

Max was the most un-canadian candidate running this election, even with Scheer being half American!

Last edited:
Crazy to think that Bernier lost to a Conservative. Not like I pretend to have my finger on the pulse of that specific riding but he's been the MP forever and his old man was as well back in the 80s and 90s so I figured it was a family thing, a personal charisma thing or whatever that won that seat for the Cons. Looks like the people there were really put off by the PPC heel turn.....I wonder if he'll continue in politics or if he'll jump right into the right-wing grift circuit. I still think that the Cons could have won with Max instead of that bonehead Scheer.

Lots of farmers in his riding live on what he calls the cartel of the demand.

I'd like to say we kinda do our own thing, but the latest right movement has definitely moved into Canada somewhat. It is limited, though, because we don't have an equivalent of fox news. We had Sun News, which tried its best, but it went under. Canada can't really follow the U.S. on it's latest political foray.
The National Post tries very hard to be as Fox News like as possible when it comes to the Liberals while barely hanging on to plausible deniability of breaches of journalistic standards.
Does Canada's political zeitgeist usually move in unison with, or opposition to, the US?
The recent governments look relatively opposed, athough obviously more centrist.
In the past, it was the view of pretty much everyone I knew that Canada had to go along with US policy on a lot of things to keep from getting sat on by the 800lb gorilla next door. Prohibition of pot is one example. We used to think there was no way Canada would legalize it as long as the US was conducting the "war on drugs". I'm not 100% certain when that changed, but I think it was the war with Iraq, when Chretien said, fuck no, we're staying out of it.

I think there was a realization of just how important Canada is to the US and that we didn't have to bargain from a position of abject weakness. The NAFTA renegotiation showed that although the US can throw its weight around with some success, it can't steamroll us without consequences too heavy to be worth it. This is one area where the current governing Liberals did a far better job than their critics give them credit for.

Yes, we made some small concessions, but some, like former Prime Minister Steven Harper were saying we should just immediately cave:
"I fear that the NAFTA re-negotiation is going very badly. I also believe that President (Donald) Trump's threat to terminate NAFTA is not a bluff … I believe this threat is real. Therefore, Canada's government needs to get its head around this reality: it does not matter whether current American proposals are worse than what we have now. What matters in evaluating them is whether it is worth having a trade agreement with the Americans or not."
anigif_original-grid-image-19593-1455210493-2.gif

That unpatriotic shitheel tried repeatedly to undermine the Canadian position in the negotiations. Funny how people somehow come to the conclusion Trudeau is worse than him.

Got an actual argument to the contrary or just a gif that people use when they're at their wit's end?

You never responded to my argument's content, you just said ''nuh uhhh.'' Will you remember to @ me about how important Alberta is when the oil price drops again and you can't give your house away?

The National Post tries very hard to be as Fox News like as possible when it comes to the Liberals while barely hanging on to plausible deniability of breaches of journalistic standards.

In the past, it was the view of pretty much everyone I knew that Canada had to go along with US policy on a lot of things to keep from getting sat on by the 800lb gorilla next door. Prohibition of pot is one example. We used to think there was no way Canada would legalize it as long as the US was conducting the "war on drugs". I'm not 100% certain when that changed, but I think it was the war with Iraq, when Chretien said, fuck no, we're staying out of it.

I think there was a realization of just how important Canada is to the US and that we didn't have to bargain from a position of abject weakness. The NAFTA renegotiation showed that although the US can throw its weight around with some success, it can't steamroll us without consequences too heavy to be worth it. This is one area where the current governing Liberals did a far better job than their critics give them credit for.

Yes, we made some small concessions, but some, like former Prime Minister Steven Harper were saying we should just immediately cave:
"I fear that the NAFTA re-negotiation is going very badly. I also believe that President (Donald) Trump's threat to terminate NAFTA is not a bluff … I believe this threat is real. Therefore, Canada's government needs to get its head around this reality: it does not matter whether current American proposals are worse than what we have now. What matters in evaluating them is whether it is worth having a trade agreement with the Americans or not."
anigif_original-grid-image-19593-1455210493-2.gif

That unpatriotic shitheel tried repeatedly to undermine the Canadian position in the negotiations. Funny how people somehow come to the conclusion Trudeau is worse than him.

It's bizarre to me how people say he is a "cuck" and yet say Harper was a "real leader" when he was the one insisting we should just bend the knee.

You never responded to my argument's content, you just said ''nuh uhhh.'' Will you remember to @ me about how important Alberta is when the oil price drops again and you can't give your house away?

You didn't make an argument. You made statements that were all false. Oil price is still down in the dumps but somehow Alberta is still the the second wealthiest province per capita in all of Canada. Go figure. I don't know what happened to you that made you so bitter and confrontational but maybe you should go talk it out with a professional instead of spouting nonsense on these forums. Have a good day.

This plus support for the Conservatives is why I have a tough time giving a tinker's damn about Alberta's complaints of being hard done by:
Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund
"During the late 1980s and 1990s, the view emerged that government "should not be in the business of business"[5] and should not be so actively engaged in shaping the future. The Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund was shifted away from strategic business investments to become a savings tool investing for financial return. Investment into the fund was halted in 1987.[4][12]:101 Ralph Klein, who was Alberta Premier from 1992 through 2007, used the HSTF to fund special projects to encourage economic diversification.[13] During the mid-1990s, public opinion turned against allowing governments to dip into the Heritage fund to fund special projects, and instead all income earned each year began to be withdrawn from the fund and added to general revenues."

They had every opportunity to protect themselves against future downturns and decided to line their pockets for short-term gains instead. How old is that bible story about Joseph's dreams of the seven years of plenty and seven years of famine? I thought those western conservatives were all about that shit but apparently they're as willing to vote against their self-interest as Bible-belt Americans.

Well one thing we've definitely seemed to have imported from the US is the whole "politics as a team sport" mentality. It's a poisonous mindset but here we are.

Lots of farmers in his riding live on what he calls the cartel of the demand.

Yea the milk mafia really is powerful, it's no wonder that they get such bipartisan support. I didn't realize that his own riding was affected by that - makes his whole stand against the supply management racketeering conspiracy seem a lot more brave/stupid.

Because in today's political climate, only the bumbling oaf is fit for leadership.

main-qimg-aeded1a0dc0cf8949879ca0af515caa5

More like someone fighting for more than lower taxes and trying to be more politically correct than the leftists. Those guys are simply not winning elections anymore.

Does Canada's political zeitgeist usually move in unison with, or opposition to, the US?
The recent governments look relatively opposed, athough obviously more centrist.

Opposition for the past 20 years I’d say. They used to be more in unison in the 80s and 90s.

80s to early 90s the US had Reagan and Bush Sr., Canada had Mulroney.

90s the US had Clinton, Canada had Chrétien.

Early to mid 2000s the US had Bush Jr., Canada had Chrétien and Martin

Late 2000s- mid 2010s the US had Obama, Canada had Harper

Mid to late 2010s the US has Trump, Canada has Trudeau

Mulroney was a lot more ideologically aligned with Reagan and Bush, and Chrétien with Clinton, than Chrétien was with Bush jr, Harper with Obama, or Trudeau with Trump.

So basically they were pretty in sync for 20 years, now they’ve been out of sync for 20 years.

While Alberta succession would be unwanted, not sure why people mock its possibility. A seperation party literally beat out our 2 progressive parties. A succession vote in the 90's was nearly split 50/50.

Canada doesn't exactly make it difficult for a province who wants it's own identity

While Alberta succession would be unwanted, not sure why people mock its possibility. A seperation party literally beat out our 2 progressive parties. A succession vote in the 90's was nearly split 50/50.

Canada doesn't exactly make it difficult for a province who wants it's own identity

It doesn’t deserve mockery, but when it’s objectively evaluated, is it at all realistic? So now there’s going to be the country of Alberta, swimming up to its ears in oil, but completely landlocked on all sides, the closest route to the sea being blocked by a province that showed little concern for the plight of Alberta when they were still under the national banner. How is that better? Then we have to consider that at some point in the not so distant future, our reliance on oil will be greatly reduced. Then what?
What’s the other possibility, joining the US? They have their own version of transfer payments which would see Alberta paying even more while having even less say in national matters due to its small population.

Are you talking about a Alberta succession vote in the 90s? I don't recall that. Sorry if I missed something.

Our first past the post electoral system is antquitated. It allows over representation by a minority political philosophy/party. It encourages regionalism.

We should either revamp our electoral system or the federation.

In a lot of ways Quebec and Alberta do not need to be in the same country.

I'm a white person in Toronto so god help me in the country of Ontario.

Back