Champs that never had the chance of a rematch

GSP earned his rematch so no big loss there.

Ronda went into hiding, if you believe Dana she showed interest again as soon as Tate tapped Holm.

Woodley got dominated from bell to bell. There wasn't some fluke ko or injury. So no rematch was warranted.

Aldo should have got a rematch just for the way their fight went down. One of the main reasons we have the smaller divisions is because of aldo.

For Johnson, while he deserved a rubber match, the trade with ONE for Askren happened around the same time a fight could have been made and ufc was still bitter about Johnson turning down the superfight with Dillashaw

woodley had 5 consecutive title wins. Aldo also got dominated bell to bell.

Although Hendricks got an immediate title shot after losing to GSP he didn't get a rubbermatch with Lawler after losing a very close decision due to fighting quite conservative.

Brawk never got a rematch with Cain and I doubt he'd take it or he refused it and made sure the UFC kept quiet about him turning it down.

Aldo was offered a 2nd fight with Conor but not at 145 and shortly after Dana allowed Conor to hold up two divisions while Conor went on to pursue the boxing match with Mayweather.

I can see how great champions sometimes they get the rematches they deserve and they get that win back such as:

-Stipe Miocic, he got immediate rematch against DC
-Amanda Nunes, she got an immediate rematch against Peña
-Anderson Silva, immediate rematch with Weidman
-Max Holloway, immediate rematch with Volkanovski
-GSP got his rematch later on against Serra
-Usman, I'm pretty sure theyre gonna give him an immediate rematch.
Etc etc etc

But what about the champs that never had a chance for a rematch they deserved?

The first one that comes to my mind ofc is absolutely Jose Aldo, 10 years undefeated and Mcgregor gets a lucky shot in like 5 seconds and he never got the oportunity for a rematch.

Cris Cyborg, 13 years undefeated and never got the oportunity for a rematch against Nunes.

DJ, #1 p4p, 14 wins in a row incluiding a win by finish against Cejudo then lost by a controversial split decision and never again a rematch.

Ronda Rousey, idk what happened back then but I wonder why Dana White didnt give her a immediate rematch against Holly.

That's so unfortunate because -other than Rousey- I feel all of them would had won a rematch. That sucks for their careers tbh and its unfair

Frank Mir vs Tim Sylvia 2

woodley had 5 consecutive title wins. Aldo also got dominated bell to bell.
4 defenses including a draw. And dominated for all 25 minutes.
The other has 7 defenses in the ufc, 9 if including wec. Lost the title in 13 seconds. Even if you don't consider it a fluke, one is nothing like the other.

If I remember correctky, Pat Miletich lost the belt to Newton after like 5 title defences and instead of getting a rematch, UFC pushed Miletich's protege Matt Hughes into the title picture.
Yup

UFC thought Miletich fought boring since almost all of his fights went the distance so they didn't want him anywhere near the title anymore.

Even made him move up to MW to fight Matt Lindland after he KO'd Shonie Carter

Fr? I saw this interview where she was saying she wanted to be the one to beat Holly. Miesha vs Tate was already booked and she said she wanted Holly to beat Miesha so shw could face Holly again

Min 5:20

One of the most beautiful sentence manglings I've seen on Sherdog. I'd also rather watch Schaub interview the Schmo than watch those 2 morons.

Ronda was probably completely broken after her loss to Nunes, my best guess is that she never asked for a rematch or told Dana she needs an extended break. Rematching Holm would have been a bad idea though.

he was not.
The "rematch" would be on short notice, in a different weight class and NOT for the belt.
He absolutely was offered the rematch, you can't revise reality. Also, once again:

Jose Aldo
: I will fight Conor anytime, anywhere

Isn't it kind of obvious he never had any intentions of defending though?

No, there was nothing obvious about that at the time. He immediately moved up for the instant title shot to try and become a dual champ like he'd been in CW, as he'd said from the beginning he'd do. RDA instead pulled out so the Diaz fight happened. Then the rematch happened as Conor surprisingly lost. Then Conor once again moved up for the same title shot he'd been receiving 8 months prior and won, becoming a dual champ and saying he'd defend both belts as he knew Aldo was waiting with the interim belt that had happened in the mean time (and which he was present for).

Instead, within 2 weeks DC fucked everything up and caused the UFC to need to strip either Conor or Aldo so that they could promote Holloway/Pettis to an interim title belt to sell a PPV last minute. Of course after HERE where he was no longer FW champ and Aldo was going to have to defend against Holloway instead of him there was zero chance he was going back down to FW as there was no title.

The entire argument that Conor was never going to defend at FW only works under the exact crazy timeline we got where instead of becoming LW champ in March, or not if RDA beat him, the timeline was delayed by 8 months until November instead when he got the title shot to try and become dual champ, and then the UFC had to strip somebody to save their PPV which rendered everything irrelevant. Which all of this still hadn't even yet been a year since he won the FW belt. But you can only say things look like he wasn't returning because all of this crazy unexpected stuff happened in between instead of it all just being settled in March if RDA hadn't pulled out.

Chuck lost the LWH belt, then lost to Jardine, had the FOTY with Wand and then got his chin destroyed by Rashad and went on his career slide. He never fought for the belt again after losing it.

He absolutely was offered the rematch, you can't revise reality. Also, once again:

Jose Aldo
: I will fight Conor anytime, anywhere
You can try to play with reality all you want.
But the fact is that a fight in a different weight class and not for the belt is NOT a rematch.

You can try to play with reality all you want.
But the fact is that a fight in a different weight class and not for the belt is NOT a rematch.

So you are still trying to reinvent history? Got it.

MM is the worst one by far. Dominant champ, won the first fight, arguably won the 2nd fight... no rubber match.

Not too mention getting traded. Unless I'm mistaken and he really wanted it. Just seems like the cherry on top of a disrespectful sundae.

EDIT: I did a quick search and it does show Johnson initiated it. I still stand by him getting screwed the worst. He didn't ask until after the fight. He must have known he wasn't getting offered it.

Back