Champs that never had the chance of a rematch

Context matters. Same basic idea, I offered you a million dollars, he was offered a rematch, these are irrefutable.

He was offered a rematch on exceptionally shitty terms, I offered you a million dollars on exceptionally shitty terms.

It's an offer that is made to be refused, so now they can get those not interested in nuance to believe Aldo didn't want a rematch and you don't want a million dollars.

Yeah but add in MORE context, Aldo was talking up a rematch "anytime, anywhere, belt or no belt", then backed down when offered those exact terms

So that's like me previously saying I would accept your offer, then being like nah lol when you actually presented it

Ronda was gonna get a rematch with holly, got canceled.

Yeah but add in MORE context, Aldo was talking up a rematch "anytime, anywhere, belt or no belt", then backed down when offered those exact terms

So that's like me previously saying I would accept your offer, then being like nah lol when you actually presented it

True, but I don't think that has ever been taken to mean without notice and at any weight class. More that he will agree to fight at a time and place of Conor's choosing.

Mate, he literally said he'd rematch Conor anytime, anywhere and that the belt didn't have to be on the line:

Hi everyone, i was quiet for a while because i was waiting for my rematch based on how the fight Went down, in fact I was already training for it, but apparently I was wrong. So I wanted to make something clear to UFC: for everything I have done, everything I have accepted and mostly how the fight ended, I will not accept any other fight other than a title shot . My only exception would be fighting thenotorious , at any time, anywhere , and once that he is scary and knows that I'm gonna win .... Doesn't have to be title fight against him. Keep my belt, but I wanna whoop ur ass anywhere.
@danawhite @lorenzofertitta @ufc keep ur word. I still believe in the company that I work for.
#rematch

He then turned down this exact scenario.
Ppl are mad the rematch was offered at a weight class up, but was the UFC supposed to force Conor to make 145?
And Conor blew him out in 13 seconds. If Conor wants to move up cuz 145 was hell to make, he can.
Conor had a 13 second win, you simply can’t do any better than that. Yet, Conor still accepted the Aldo rematch. What was Conor to gain? Conor said yes.
Aldo got what he asked for in the media. He went to the media to play his hand, and then folded.
It is what it is.

Someone else posted the exact quote but he literally said it didn't matter the weight or if it was for a belt

My only exception would be fighting Conor McGregor. At any time, anywhere, and since he is scared and knows that I'm gonna win... It doesn't even have to be title fight against him. You can keep my belt. What I want is to whoop your @$$. Again: any time, anywhere.
Dana White Lorenzo Fertitta, keep ur word. I still believe in the company that I work for.

That quote?

Someone else posted the exact quote but he literally said it didn't matter the weight or if it was for a belt

Can you link that quote? Because I see one where he needed a full training camp, but nothing about any weight and any time.

I can see how great champions sometimes they get the rematches they deserve and they get that win back such as:

-Stipe Miocic, he got immediate rematch against DC
-Amanda Nunes, she got an immediate rematch against Peña
-Anderson Silva, immediate rematch with Weidman
-Max Holloway, immediate rematch with Volkanovski
-GSP got his rematch later on against Serra
-Usman, I'm pretty sure theyre gonna give him an immediate rematch.
Etc etc etc

But what about the champs that never had a chance for a rematch they deserved?

The first one that comes to my mind ofc is absolutely Jose Aldo, 10 years undefeated and Mcgregor gets a lucky shot in like 5 seconds and he never got the oportunity for a rematch.

Cris Cyborg, 13 years undefeated and never got the oportunity for a rematch against Nunes.

DJ, #1 p4p, 14 wins in a row incluiding a win by finish against Cejudo then lost by a controversial split decision and never again a rematch.

Ronda Rousey, idk what happened back then but I wonder why Dana White didnt give her a immediate rematch against Holly.

That's so unfortunate because -other than Rousey- I feel all of them would had won a rematch. That sucks for their careers tbh and its unfair

GSP pretty much got the rematch straight away. Serra's next fight was GSP. Injury just meant GSP had some fights to stay active.

Rhonda was broken

MM wanted to go with Hume"s promotion

Aldo didn't take the short turn around / McGregor left.

GSP pretty much got the rematch straight away. Serra's next fight was GSP. Injury just meant GSP had some fights to stay active.

Is that true? Thought the UFC jumped quickly to the Hughes v Serra match. Hence why they started filming season 6 of TUF a few months after serra beat george; which was scheduled before GSP vs Kos. That's why GSP got to fight Hughes for the Interim when Serra got hurt.

And you don't think a legend like Aldo deserved a full camp after everything he had done sir?

Weird take, but this place is the home of weird takes.

Anytime, anywhere implies at least a normal camp and for normal stakes, this goes without saying. Point is, he’s not asking for anything unusual.

Last edited:

GSP fought Koscheck and Hughes and then Serra, can't really call it pretty much getting a rematch right away.

So what is considered as a rematch?
Same type of fight and fighters as before or some variables can change but same fighters?

GSP fought Koscheck and Hughes and then Serra, can't really call it pretty much getting a rematch right away.

He would have got Serra straight away if he was willing to wait. But different time back then, people didn't hold out the way they do now.

Is that true? Thought the UFC jumped quickly to the Hughes v Serra match. Hence why they started filming season 6 of TUF a few months after serra beat george; which was scheduled before GSP vs Kos. That's why GSP got to fight Hughes for the Interim when Serra got hurt.

That isn't my understanding of what happened, but it is a long time ago!

Actually you are right!

I found the article which says Serra v Hughes was booked
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2007/11/matt-hughes-thinks-matt-serras-injury-is-legit

I was kinda surprised Robbie didn’t get a rematch against Woodley or wasn’t offered/in talks. Unless I’m remembering things differently.
The way in which he lost was so clear cut that a rematch wasnt needed unfortunately, that was also the beginning of Robbie's downswing so he never got to that level again afterwards.
I mean he was a great champ and had absolute wars but he only had 2 defences (And people will argue he even lost his second one) not like he went on an absolute tear.

The first one that comes to my mind ofc is absolutely Jose Aldo, 10 years undefeated and Mcgregor gets a lucky shot in like 5 seconds and he never got the oportunity for a rematch.
This is the worst treatment of a Champ in UFC history in my opinion of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back