Combat Hopak - the Cossack Martial Art

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
Anyone heard of this before
The Cossack martial art of Hopak. There is a dance form with kind of dancing katas and conditioning and a martial form.

As a guy who was actually some what taught hopak the dance (thank you military PE teacher grandfather)

The whole martial art thing is just to show off and look good.

Cant do hopak nowadays anymore though

iirc @Dexter was trained in it as a kid. It was part of his upbringing as one of the "Lenin youth". From what I was told, it was a very strenuous routine, and had state sponsored applications for it as "master of sport"

Anyone heard of this before
The Cossack martial art of Hopak. There is a dance form with kind of dancing katas and conditioning and a martial form.

Same useless show-off as Systema and Kadochnikov styles, just with Ukrainian origins, not Russian.

Same useless show-off as Systema and Kadochnikov styles, just with Ukrainian origins, not Russian.
Don't know why you are so against Russian/Slavic martial arts.

Hopak is far from useless for conditioning and flexibility strength that has direct martial arts applications.
Alot of martial techniques were preserved in dance as a kata.

Don't know why you are so against Russian/Slavic martial arts.

Hopak is far from useless for conditioning and flexibility strength that has direct martial arts applications.
Alot of martial techniques were preserved in dance as a kata.

I'm against shitty arts, especially when they claim their lineage from Kievan Rus <Lmaoo>. For conditioning, flexibility and strength I'd better do some gymnastics.
For real, bruh, why are you searching those bullshit-do systems? Speaking about ex-Soviet countries, the most developed are all kinds of Olympic combat sports (boxing, wrestling, judo) and sambo. Everything, where you can see see words like "ancient", "tactical", "spetznaz", "traditional slavic" etc., just sucks.

Its on par with Wushu. It's more focused on a performance art. I think Wushu would have more practicality in an actual fight.

I'm against shitty arts, especially when they claim their lineage from Kievan Rus <Lmaoo>. For conditioning, flexibility and strength I'd better do some gymnastics.

Gymnastics you get the association with some flexible dancing girl with a pom pom, Hopak is part of a tradition of world famous killers it's a stronger base.

Gymnastics you get the association with some flexible dancing girl with a pom pom, Hopak is part of a tradition of world famous killers it's a stronger base.
The caveat of that is that the world famous killers were also mostly famous for their cavalry and not their infantry.

The caveat of that is that the world famous killers were also mostly famous for their cavalry and not their infantry.
Remembering that 18th and 19th century cavalry was about 5x harder than modern day infantry.

Last edited:
Remembering that 18th and 19th century cavalry was about 5x harder than modern day infantry.

My point being they probably didn't do much acrobatic jumping off the back of their horses. And the dismounted ones either got crushed by the cavalry behind them or beaten to death by the infantry they landed in.

For real, bruh, why are you searching those bullshit-do systems? Speaking about ex-Soviet countries, the most developed are all kinds of Olympic combat sports (boxing, wrestling, judo) and sambo. Everything, where you can see see words like "ancient", "tactical", "spetznaz", "traditional slavic" etc., just sucks.

Spetznaz tactical Russian special ops is the only way.

Actually I have said before there is plenty of BS but for systema it is mixed with some good stuff as well you can't dismiss all of it just because they aren't always the supreme athletes

The psychic chi shit though is hilarious don't know how they started getting into that.
Makes Hopak look 100% legit

Last edited:
I honestly don't even know what Systema is.

I honestly don't even know what Systema is.
The first drill they are doing is actually a good sensitivity exercise similar to what you see in bagua or tai chi.
Lots of these types of drills and the skills developed can have obvious combat application.

Hopak is literally dance that was performed after battle as victory dance around camp fire while drinking.

Theres literally zero combat or martial art function in it.

Some old school ex-soviet military guys might know a little bit and might teach it for the hell of it like i was taught but otherwise its just a ukrainian national dance these days performed at shows.

Yes it develops coordination and flexibility but so does breakdancing, ballet or hip hop

Hopak is literally dance that was performed after battle as victory dance around camp fire while drinking.

Theres literally zero combat or martial art function in it.

Some old school ex-soviet military guys might know a little bit and might teach it for the hell of it like i was taught but otherwise its just a ukrainian national dance these days performed at shows.

Yes it develops coordination and flexibility but so does breakdancing, ballet or hip hop
Yes I am aware Hopak is a dance.
But the point is there is Combat Hopak as well, considered to be based upon martial movements in the dance and also most likely other techniques.

Time-stamped. You can see them doing drils and some form of sparring.

It was founded by this guy, Volodymyr Pylat who is a Ukrainian Cossack.
pylat-volodymyr-staepanovych-1a.jpg

https://hopak.km.ua/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Hopak

"It can be trained in light, semi and full contact formulae. Combat Hopak includes techniques of traditional Ukrainian folk fist fighting, folk wrestling, Cossack sabre fencing, and Cossack war dances like the Hopak and the Metelystia".

So even if it's basically some kind of modern form mixed with some Ukrainian folk wrestling and Hopak dance it's still legit and pretty cool I think.

Last edited:
Yes I am aware Hopak is a dance.
But the point is there is Combat Hopak as well, considered to be based upon martial movements in the dance and also most likely other techniques.

Time-stamped. You can see them doing drils and some form of sparring.

It was founded by this guy, Volodymyr Pylat who is a Ukrainian Cossack.
View attachment 837108

https://hopak.km.ua/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Hopak

"It can be trained in light, semi and full contact formulae. Combat Hopak includes techniques of traditional Ukrainian folk fist fighting, folk wrestling, Cossack sabre fencing, and Cossack war dances like the Hopak and the Metelystia".

So even if it's basically some kind of modern form mixed with some Ukrainian folk wrestling and Hopak dance it's still legit and pretty cool I think.

I'd be more interesting seeing how the average MMA fighter deals with a sabre duel.

Back