Coronavirus not very megathread.

I dont think masks are going away anytime soon. I think NY and NJ will temporarily put them in place again this year
They probably will because NJ has always been a nanny state. I’m not gonna abide though. Anyone here who wants the vax has gotten it at this point and I’d estimate that’s 75 percent of my area

They probably will because NJ has always been a nanny state. I’m not gonna abide though. Anyone here who wants the vax has gotten it at this point and I’d estimate that’s 75 percent of my area
Phil Murphy is an excellent Governor

Phil Murphy is an excellent Governor
He’s been really disappointing. I originally liked him because I thought anything is better than Christie. He’s just another typical politician

Unless they buy his vaccines, right?

Speaking of which, some nice data from our Israeli human guinea pigs.
https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/309762

Health Ministry data on the wave of COVID outbreaks which began this May show that Israelis with immunity from natural infection were far less likely to become infected again in comparison to Israelis who only had immunity via vaccination.

More than 7,700 new cases of the virus have been detected during the most recent wave starting in May, but just 72 of the confirmed cases were reported in people who were known to have been infected previously – that is, less than 1% of the new cases.

Roughly 40% of new cases – or more than 3,000 patients – involved people who had been infected despite being vaccinated.

So let's do some math here, population of Israel is about 9 million, around 5 million are vaccinated and 0.8 million have been infected. Which leaves about 1/3 of the population unprotected. Looking at how many in each group got infected in this latest wave, it would imply that the vaccines are only about 50%-60% effective in terms of relative risk reduction. In other words, chances of getting covid go down by 50-60% after getting jabbed, which is frankly pretty dogshit compared to the claimed 90-95% number from the vaccine makers. I expect this number to keep falling as new variants pop up.

I'm sure Pfizer & others will be happy to sell us on a monthly schedule of booster shots, which will of course be thoroughly tested and perfectly safe.

Work hasn’t quite “put the gun to my head” yet on vaccinations but they already asking for folks who have to please turn in a form to Hr they have.

I dont see any reason to get it and will hold out as long as possible, before I have to make a decision about leaving my job or staying. That will be the ultimate test to my will.

I have a lot of connects in FL and thats where I would go if I had to eventually leave cause Cali is crazy about being crazy.

I’ll mask up at work, even though I went through a good stretch not needing one, due to the new forms we need to submit. If you havent submitted a vaccination form you need to wear your mask. so I will.

Ahem, outside of work. I never wear a mask and will refuse to go to a store that makes me wear one once the actual mandates stopped in the state last month. Many places around me I go to outside of work didnt require one since last year anyways so….

Avoiding giving my super healthy child the jab at all costs, all costs. He is enrolled and attended full in-person schooling for full year at a local private school. The real hero's during this. A bunch of teachers that werent scared and showed up enthused to teach children everyday and making sure they werent left behind. No outbreaks happening where children were learning across America in normal settings at private schools. It wasnt fair for the other kids. I would rather support the great public school 3-blocks from my house. But Id rather drive an extra 30mi a day and pay a private institution till the public system gets there head out of their asses.

Work hasn’t quite “put the gun to my head” yet on vaccinations but they already asking for folks who have to please turn in a form to Hr they have.

I dont see any reason to get it and will hold out as long as possible, before I have to make a decision about leaving my job or staying. That will be the ultimate test to my will.

I have a lot of connects in FL and thats where I would go if I had to eventually leave cause Cali is crazy about being crazy.

I’ll mask up at work, even though I went through a good stretch not needing one, due to the new forms we need to submit. If you havent submitted a vaccination form you need to wear your mask. so I will.

Ahem, outside of work. I never wear a mask and will refuse to go to a store that makes me wear one once the actual mandates stopped in the state last month. Many places around me I go to outside of work didnt require one since last year anyways so….

Avoiding giving my super healthy child the jab at all costs, all costs. He is enrolled and attended full in-person schooling for full year at a local private school. The real hero's during this. A bunch of teachers that werent scared and showed up enthused to teach children everyday and making sure they werent left behind. No outbreaks happening where children were learning across America in normal settings at private schools. It wasnt fair for the other kids. I would rather support the great public school 3-blocks from my house. But Id rather drive an extra 30mi a day and pay a private institution till the public system gets there head out of their asses.
or you could just get the 5 second jab instead of trying to re-configure your whole life around it

Well, we have the worst rates of infection and death in the world right now and are opening up and letting it run its course. Government want to get the worst of it done before winter. It's a giant experiment which will infect millions of people with this disease. Watch this space guys, UK is about to let the world know what happens!

giphy.webp

Which part of the article states that hospitals were overrun, or that being overrun was the cause of the care home deaths? The below snippet stands out to me, and makes zero reference to hospitals being pushed beyond limits.

Kate Allen, Director of Amnesty International UK, said:
“The Government made a series of shockingly irresponsible decisions which abandoned care home residents to die."

“Discharged without being tested, thousands of older people were sent to care homes at great risk to themselves and other residents and to staff."

“The appalling death toll was entirely avoidable - it is a scandal of monumental proportions.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/n...government-failures-during-covid-19-pandemic/

It's a matter of record that hospitals were at breaking point. Just search occupancy levels for the appropriate time. Sorry I'm absolutely fucked today after playing football yesterday so I'll just show a proximate quote, first that came up.

Commenting on the latest NHS winter daily situation report data, David Maguire, Senior Analyst at The King’s Fund, said:

‘It’s been another week during which hospitals have been stretched to breaking point. The statistics paint a worrying picture of hospitals filling up and thousands of people waiting to be transferred from ambulances.

‘Last week, the average bed occupancy was more than 95 per cent, with more than a third of hospital trusts (47 out of 132) hitting 99 per cent occupancy at least once and 14 hitting 100 per cent. Even talking about 100 per cent occupancy would have been unthinkable 10 years ago, but now it’s becoming almost routine. The service is already operating beyond its limits and the worst of winter is yet to come.’

That was the situation Covid hit us in, we just didn't have the capacity, 1/4 of Germany's critical care beds for example.

USA vs Brazil in the battle for the worst repsponse.

_117869771_optimised-world_deaths-nc.png

"What has Bolsonaro said about Covid?
The president has been highly sceptical about the need to take decisive action to tackle the pandemic:

• he has called Covid "just a little flu"
  • rejected a nationwide lockdown, saying such measures only made the poor poorer
  • called state governors and mayors who imposed lockdown "tyrants"
  • cast doubts on the efficacy and safety of jabs and said he wouldn't get vaccinated
  • joked the Pfizer jab may "turn people into crocodiles"
  • dismissed opportunities to purchase millions of vaccine doses
  • told people to "stop whining" about the situation"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56663217

_117881149_optimised-brazil_daily_deaths7apr-nc-002.png

Yo, per capita is the only relevant data point and we, the UK, beat the shit out of you cans so settle down USA and Brazil.

Per Jeremy Hunt today:
“The warning light on the NHS dashboard is not flashing amber, it is flashing red,” he told BBC’s Radio 4 Today programme. “Covid hospital patients are doubling every two weeks. That means we are heading for 10,000 Covid hospital patients by the end of August, which is about 20 times higher than this time last year. It is a very serious situation.”

Quite amazing that this could be the case despite all of the vaccination thats taken place since last year when there were none. I genuinely thought at this time last year, that this August would see this thing starting to wind down. I think its just been a constant tug-of-war between health and the economy that is leading to this endless cycle of lockdown-reopening. Govt seem determined to press ahead with a return to normal, but the warnings from scientists and even other countries are pretty stark.

Yup. It's just a matter of numbers, the infection is being allowed to run rampant, so even small chances of severe covid are happening enough to cause the NHS issues. Lots more younger unvaccinated patients too. Delta seems to effect the young a bit more, but again it's the numbers. They're letting the fire take hold.

Lol, how did you go so far off the deep end
Yes science evolves but many things are settled.
The earth being flat is not up for debate
Neither in dispute is that vaccines work

Go away silly boy..
giphy.gif

Yup. It's just a matter of numbers, the infection is being allowed to run rampant, so even small chances of severe covid are happening enough to cause the NHS issues. Lots more younger unvaccinated patients too. Delta seems to effect the young a bit more, but again it's the numbers. They're letting the fire take hold.

In my opinion mate, it has to be done now.

We can't do any more. We've vaccinated the vast majority of adults in the country, we are not going to start jabbing kids because the experts clearly are dubious about whether it's a good idea (or else, we'd be doing it already).

We cannot do any more. This is end game now, man. We've done everything we can, and we cannot lock down forever (which is literally the only other option). If people want to keep wearing masks, and keep social distancing, crack on - it's now down to personal choice and responsibility. Personally, I see no problem in wearing a mask on a train/bus/supermarket and would have no issue with continuing to do so but everything else can fucking do one now, for me.

In my opinion mate, it has to be done now.

We can't do any more. We've vaccinated the vast majority of adults in the country, we are not going to start jabbing kids because the experts clearly are dubious about whether it's a good idea (or else, we'd be doing it already).

We cannot do any more. This is end game now, man. We've done everything we can, and we cannot lock down forever (which is literally the only other option). If people want to keep wearing masks, and keep social distancing, crack on - it's now down to personal choice and responsibility. Personally, I see no problem in wearing a mask on a train/bus/supermarket and would have no issue with continuing to do so but everything else can fucking do one now, for me.

Only 60% of the adult population has received it's second dose. I believe that significantly more lives would have been saved extending measures to September, but I appreciate the reasons why people don't want that.

I'm just concerned that with the highest infection rates in the world, the decision to open up has been made on ideological grounds not factual ones and that in two months time it's going to look really stupid everything will be locked down because of the strain on the NHS and we will have another, avoidable lockdown.

Only 60% of the adult population has received it's second dose. I believe that significantly more lives would have been saved extending measures to September, but I appreciate the reasons why people don't want that.

I'm just concerned that with the highest infection rates in the world, the decision to open up has been made on ideological grounds not factual ones and that in two months time it's going to look really stupid everything will be locked down because of the strain on the NHS and we will have another, avoidable lockdown.
Meh, a good chunk of the population already caught covid, so combined with 60% vaccinated, there should be up to 80+% of population protected already...

Oh, we're 100% back in lockdown by autumn, I predicted that at Christmas time. Don't be surprised if it's flu this time, though - we're already being forewarned about flu making a brutal comeback this winter. Extending til September = extending forever, man, in my opinion.

September - well, its flu season beginning now and booster shots are needed, so why not extend for a few more months until the over 50s have had a booster?

December - well, it might be better if we give EVERYONE a booster now so why not extend by another few months and then everyone will be boostered?

March - well, not all adults have had a booster yet and kids are spreading this new variant from X, why not extend by another few months until everyone has had this new booster and we're over the peak of the new variant?

June - well, last summer we opened things too quickly and we had lots of cases of covid so why not extend for another few months to see out the summer and get the new booster into the vulnerable?

And so on.

It could never end, unless it ends now.

I see no way the NHS gets overwhelmed. The NHS didn't come close to being overwhelmed during the winter peak, WITHOUT widespread vaccines - google what Boris said about it, he stated the NHS didn't come close to being overwhelmed due to lockdown. Vaccines are supposed to replace lockdown, that was the entire plan apparently, I have absolutely no doubt that the NHS will not come close to being overwhelmed.

Not having a rant at you bro, just letting a bit of steam off, haha! I think we broadly agree on most of this issue.

Also, on a final note, we have the world's highest infection rate simply because we are testing between 250-400k people a day, a lot of whom are asymptomatic. The majority of western countries aren't doing this - if Spain were testing 250-400k people a day, rather than the approximately 20-50k they are doing, they'd have the same numbers as us - same goes for Italy, Germany, France etc.

Its likely that a lot more people are getting infected with the Delta variant.

We wont know because the vaccine is protecting them from getting any symptoms, thus not getting tested

Dr Gottlieb said the Delta is so transmissible that 80% of the unvaccinated will eventually get infected by the Fall.

I don’t know much about the variants, but as long as they don’t make people sick enough to go to the hospital or compromise the vaccine, I think it will be okay. Scientist worldwide (besides China which supposedly stopped the spread completely...) are all working on this.

Well, we have the worst rates of infection and death in the world right now and are opening up and letting it run its course. Government want to get the worst of it done before winter. It's a giant experiment which will infect millions of people with this disease. Watch this space guys, UK is about to let the world know what happens!

giphy.webp

It's a matter of record that hospitals were at breaking point. Just search occupancy levels for the appropriate time. Sorry I'm absolutely fucked today after playing football yesterday so I'll just show a proximate quote, first that came up.

Commenting on the latest NHS winter daily situation report data, David Maguire, Senior Analyst at The King’s Fund, said:

‘It’s been another week during which hospitals have been stretched to breaking point. The statistics paint a worrying picture of hospitals filling up and thousands of people waiting to be transferred from ambulances.

‘Last week, the average bed occupancy was more than 95 per cent, with more than a third of hospital trusts (47 out of 132) hitting 99 per cent occupancy at least once and 14 hitting 100 per cent. Even talking about 100 per cent occupancy would have been unthinkable 10 years ago, but now it’s becoming almost routine. The service is already operating beyond its limits and the worst of winter is yet to come.’

That was the situation Covid hit us in, we just didn't have the capacity, 1/4 of Germany's critical care beds for example.

My general stance on covid hasn’t changed much from the beginning. However, I didn’t understand how danger hospitals being at capacity was until this weekend. A bunch of doctors and nurses essentially spent hours saving my mom’s life. During this they essentially had to ignore all other patients on the floor. Or maybe 1 nurse was helping. Either way, it became clear how not having enough staff or equipment /etc can lead to a spiral of bad things. Pushed pass capacity and someone with an easily treatable problem doesn’t get help. Granted, I know with covid a lot of people aren’t getting in person apt a right now is and there a lot of suffering. I don’t know or understand how to balance that. Doctors and nurses are amazing.

@Strychnine Seeing nimrod say the science on flat earth isn’t settled is pretty sad. I feel sorry for him and anyone that intent on disbelief.

Move this thread back to the berry.

I don’t know much about the variants, but as long as they don’t make people sick enough to go to the hospital or compromise the vaccine, I think it will be okay. Scientist worldwide (besides China which supposedly stopped the spread completely...) are all working on this.

My general stance on covid hasn’t changed much from the beginning. However, I didn’t understand how danger hospitals being at capacity was until this weekend. A bunch of doctors and nurses essentially spent hours saving my mom’s life. During this they essentially had to ignore all other patients on the floor. Or maybe 1 nurse was helping. Either way, it became clear how not having enough staff or equipment /etc can lead to a spiral of bad things. Pushed pass capacity and someone with an easily treatable problem doesn’t get help. Granted, I know with covid a lot of people aren’t getting in person apt a right now is and there a lot of suffering. I don’t know or understand how to balance that. Doctors and nurses are amazing.

@Strychnine Seeing nimrod say the science on flat earth isn’t settled is pretty sad. I feel sorry for him and anyone that intent on disbelief.

Move this thread back to the berry.

Yeah, but understaffing is not on us - its on THEM.

It's the fucking government that has been stripping away the health care services for decades and leaving hospitals in a terribly thin manner for developed, western countries.

Back