• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dana White, Israel Adesanya Cast Doubt on Dricus Du Plessis’ Status as No. 1 Contender

Is DDP #1 Contender?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score

UFC NEWS & FEATURES
Dana White, Israel Adesanya Cast Doubt on Dricus Du Plessis’ Status as No. 1 Contender
FacebookTwitterReddit0WhatsApp

TRISTEN CRITCHFIELD SEP 6, 2023 COMMENTS

Dricus Du Plessis is far from certain to receive the next UFC middleweight title shot.

After Du Plessis handily defeated Robert Whittaker at UFC 291 and subsequently engaged in a heated confrontation with Israel Adesanya in the Octagon, it looked like the promotion had a ready-made storyline at the top of the division. However, it appears that some parties — namely, Dana White and Adesanya — involved have cooled on the possibility of Du Plessis as the No. 1 contender after the South African balked at facing “The Last Stylebender” at UFC 293 due to lingering injuries.

Now, Adesanya will defend his crown against Sean Strickland at UFC 293 on Saturday night in Sydney. While the reigning champion is heavily favored to dispatch his opponent, it’s not a given that Du Plessis will be next in line.

“You know how much I love when guys turn down fights,” White said at the post-fight press conference for the Contender Series on Tuesday night. “I don’t know. We’ll see what happens on Saturday and then we’ll go from there.”

Adesanya, when informed of White’s remarks at a media day session, agreed with the UFC president’s sentiment.

“I don’t know – you have to ask Dana,” Adesanya said (video via MMAjunkie.com). “Dricus doesn’t know how to play the game. Look, you can’t sit on your f—ing – is it ranking or whatever? – and think you’ve got it locked in.

“This is the UFC. If you look back at the history of the UFC, s—t happens, you know? So he thought he was sitting pretty, but he might have to fight two more times before he gets a shot at this.”

Jared Cannonier is currently in Sydney to weigh in as the back-up fighter for the UFC 293 main event, and Adesanya implied that the winner of the clash between Khamzat Chimaev and Paulo Costa at UFC 294 could be given preference over Du Plessis down the road.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/D...us-Du-Plessis-Status-as-No-1-Contender-190956

As of right now, absolutely. However as #1 contender, delaying your own shot decreases your value each passing day. After Costa/khamzat fight I suspect DDP gets dropped a peg. If Sean wins, he absolutely gets dropped back (izzy rematch probably a certainty). If both happens, DDP may have to win 2 more to get back to a shot.

“You know how much I love when guys turn down fights,” White said at the post-fight press conference for the Contender Series on Tuesday night. “I don’t know. We’ll see what happens on Saturday and then we’ll go from there.”

There you have it folks, Dana "Do You Wanna Be A Fooking Fighter" White doesn't love it when people with injuries turn down short-notice fights. What a tough guy.

Dana knowingly and intentionally allowed for the Australia card to be set two months after the #1 Title Contender fight. I honestly think he was 100% banking on Robert winning so they could just throw another Rob and Izzy rematch in for the card. Like all of us, he was shocked when DDP won. Like always, he expects the fighters to put the company over themselves and like always, Dana demonstrates how lost and out of touch he's been the last few years.

I keep blaming Dana but let's be real... He's checked out. I'm not even sure who to blame at this point. Dana's just a talking head now.

What a joke. Dana wants to punish a guy for not taking the biggest fight of his career on short notice, on a quick turnaround, and with an injury. Unreasonable expectations. I can understand if he’s out for a while but if he’s ready by the time Adesanya is ready for his next fight, then he should get it.

Chimaev beating Costa would definitely jump him ahead over anyone in line. In the entertainment business the UFC has opted to go for, he’s just too marketable to pass up for a title shot.

It’s DDP’s fault for passing up on the Izzy fight.

How's it his fault for not rushing into a fight with an injury and only 6 week turnaround from last fight. Dana is scum, but we knew this.

Ufc 300 coming up and Khamzat....

Izzy so active hi e might want to fight before that though

Back