Dricus Du Plessis Doesn’t Regret Sean Strickland Trash Talk

Sean-Strickland-DDP-UFC-296-Thumb.jpg

Dricus Du Plessis doesn’t believe he crossed the line by bringing up Sean Strickland’s traumatic childhood during their verbal back and forth.

“Stillknocks” is scheduled to challenge Strickland for the middleweight title at UFC 297 on Jan. 20 at the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. The bad blood between the two started with a seasonal press conference last month where Du Plessis brought up Strickland’s abusive childhood. Du Plessis vowed to put on a worse beating on Strickland than his own father after the champ joked about a sexual relationship between the South African and his coach.

Strickland subsequently admitted that he was triggered by the comments, leading to him attacking Du Plessis while attending UFC 296 the next day. However, Du Plessis doesn’t regret anything he said to Strickland.

“I don’t regret anything. I said what I said. Listen, if you’re dishing it out, you’re going to get it. I’m not going to keep on hammering on it, but I stand by what I said. I did not joke about it. What happened was fact. I stated fact. He joked about it, in previous interviews. I didn’t joke about it; I stated the facts. Obviously, it had a massive effect on him. I won’t be hammering on that because it’s not necessary. I got the results I wanted. I don’t need to hammer on one thing,” the 32-year-old said on "The MMA Hour.”

“Obviously, it’s terrible that it happened to him, but it did. Don’t project onto others what you don’t want to happen to you. That’s the way it is. He disrespected me, disrespected my coach, and I won’t let that slide. So, take that and now we’re on a clean page. We start over. It’s strictly business. Nothing’s personal. I have no animosity towards him. I said what I said, what happened, happened, there’s no animosity, from my side at least. I’m here to do my business. I’m here to win a fight.”

Strickland subsequently went on a podcast with comedian Theo Von where he shared intimate details about his childhood trauma and also said that Du Plessis crossed a line. However, the South African believes Strickland, who is known for his unabashed opinions, doesn’t get to decide where to draw the line when it comes to trash talk.

“He had a lot to say about Khalil Rountree, and he said how weak of a man Khalil is for crying,” Du Plessis said. “He did the exact same thing, just on a bigger stage. Not talking about somebody’s wife. I’m assuming because he has somebody in his life now, that became a thing. He didn’t care about Ian Garry’s wife when he said what he said. It wasn’t his place to say anything, but whatever.

7014EBg.png

IMHO, DDP he was go many too far but it was have positive effect on our whole flat Earth. It makes Sean Tarzan become final form, anti-bullying, #AmericanHero, symbol of peace and justice God of Freedom Sean Tarzan. His potential was now touching the firmament itself.

Honest on gods, as long as DDP he was #BeNiceToChris then all was no caps cool.

#GANAB #StopAmericanHate

Did DDP cross the line?

lol, not from what I remember, seemed he was even quite polite about it.
For anyone living under a rock... here is what started it all

I rewatched lol

Nawwww DeSean kicked it off, then couldn't handle it lol.

And I still think that DDP was polite, saying that his father beat him is a lot more polite than 'Your dad fucked you', and ''You :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:'

Sean Stickland has said horrible things about so many people but gets butt-hurt when sometime does it to him. A classic cause of being unable to take what you dish out. DDP bringing up Sean’s daddy issues still has him crying to this day.

DDP is cooler than the other side of the pillow. Gonna be hard for Sean to beat him in the emotional state that he's in.
He handled Izzy's awkward race-baiting/flexing like a champ, so ya, don't think Strickland's mental games will work (and may very well backfire, as he seems unstable/ a verbal glass cannon himself).

Homeboy won't talk about it anymore because Sean will legitimately stab him.

Seems shook.

This is what is winning me over, for sure.

Honestly, I never knew much about him until 6 or so months ago, but after his stuff with Izzy and now Sean, I’ve been trying to hop on this war wagon he has got going. Seems cool and well spoken.
Same, never really saw him right I don’t think before the Whitaker fight . But I like his approach. Game to shit talk if the other guy is and also game to be a normal human if that’s what’s called for.

No reason for him to regret it. Sean "Create A Fighter" Strickland constantly pushes the line and goes after everyone. I hope Dricus brings it up again at the presser. Sean will do nothing. He's not Trevor Phillips lmao

Hopefully Sean will see the error in his ways and try to be a better person but all signs point to he will continue to be an asshole.

Sean will say something and when he does, I fully expect Dricus going all in on him again. It will again be warranted

Good for DDP. Maybe it's low to say those kinds of things, but if you're going to go there, stand by it and don't back off when someone reacts the way you fully intended for them to react.

Nor should he. Strickland started it.

Who cares if he got slapped around by his dad? What’s he going to do, cry about it? Oh wait…

Easy to say when you don't understand what someone has gone through in life, and you yourself have never experienced something like that before.

I don't get the criticism for Sean crying when talking about the details of his childhood. That makes me respect a man more because he is a real person. A fraud would pretend it didn't affect him.

Yet your same guy called Khalil a pussy because that last cried too. Sean is not what he thinks he is.

I'm not going to lie, I like some trash talk... I don't want hugging .. I want Shael no hespect nothing :)

I believe unironically no matter what words they are, no man should ever let words of a stranger affect him in any way
This. A friend of mine folded to words another man said and I laughed at him for years.

Dude said "I just came from your house and your family is dead. I ****** all the corpses and took photos" and my friend went OFF on dude! Punched him directly in his mouth! I mean hard - to where a tooth fell out!

I pulled him aside and gave him a stern talking to. And laughed at him. We're not friends anymore but that was his decision. I lost a tooth too. Tender ass mofo. Pause.....

Emperor Dricus Africanus will reign supreme over the MW division.

Yet your same guy called Khalil a pussy because that last cried too. Sean is not what he thinks he is.
Or the opposite, if we're being honest. Sean knows what will make him cry and crying makes HIM feel like a pussy, so he projects. I don't think it's because he doesn't know. It's because HE KNOWS ALL TOO WELL.....

deep...... deep shit....... Plato meets Freud - amirite??

This is what is winning me over, for sure.

Honestly, I never knew much about him until 6 or so months ago, but after his stuff with Izzy and now Sean, I’ve been trying to hop on this war wagon he has got going. Seems cool and well spoken.
He is certainly a cool headed mofo. I back him.

Easy to say when you don't understand what someone has gone through in life, and you yourself have never experienced something like that before.

I don't get the criticism for Sean crying when talking about the details of his childhood. That makes me respect a man more because he is a real person. A fraud would pretend it didn't affect him.
What about the hypocrisy of it all, you’re ok with Sean shitting on everyone but you think he should be insulated from insults because of his “lived experience”?

<DisgustingHHH>

The guy is a fraud, because he doesn’t practice what he preaches, fuck him, and what he went through, every single person I’ve ever known, including myself, has gone through and is going through something. Fuck anyone who thinks they’re special and immune to criticism.

Back