• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Media Dana White: "We're working it out" regarding Wonderboy pay issue

Do you think Wonderboy will get paid?

• Total voters
If i refuse a job that my boss asks me to do, not only won't i get any money, but i'd be fired...

Imagine in this contract it's written you get money if you fight, but you chose not to fight? Isn't it clear, that if you refuse to do what's in the contract even tho the circumstances changed and a new one gets offered to you, you don't deserve that money? You didn't do the job, so why should you get money for refusing to do your job and lay on the couch instead? Makes no sense.

And lets be honest, dude stopped sweating and was 2 lbs over the limit. 2 LBS ffs. If he came in 10 lbs heavier hydrated, fine, but it was not the case.

Bottom line is, he got offered the fight and refused. It's his choice. He can chose to accept and get the money or refuse and not get the money. I don't see in what world you refuse a job and get the money for doing nothing lol.
Again, it's not the boss. This is an independent contractor situation. He was offered a different fight, that he had not agreed to, previously. And if a company hires an outside or independent contractor and demands they do work not on the contract, guess what? That contractor does not get "fired."

If I hire a house painter, and then tell him I need my roof shingles replaced, when he shows up, ready to paint, he's going to get paid when he refuses to re-shingle my roof, because we had an agreement for him to paint, and he honored his part of the deal.

Thompson did not refuse to honor his contract. He refused to do work that was not agreed to in the contract. If I agree to a contract and I show up, ready to honor it, and the other side doesn't fulfill their end of the contractual obligations, guess what? They owe me money.

And let's be honest, if it was "just three pounds (three, not two)," and it was no big deal, then he would have been able to drop the weight. So why didn't he just drop the weight, as agreed? Because it WAS a big deal.

If he can't get the weight off, easily, then that makes an enormous impact on his physical condition the night of the fight, if he has to drop it vs if he doesn't have to. It's part of the fight preparation.

Last edited:
You don't get 200k for signing 10 posters and doing 5 interviews. Wouldn't that be the easiest job in the world lol.

Money is guaranteed in other professional sports and describing two months of training camp, filming UFC footage (that they own all rights to in perpetuity) and the UFC selling tickets using your name and likeness.

Maybe you are one of these new brand of cucks who like getting abused by corporations, but that is a lopsided deal. Dana & Co are selling "Wonderboy" and putting cash in their pocket marketing on his name and brand. He deserves to be compensated for that, even forgetting everything else he's had to do on his end.

You have a contract where you receive X amount of money to fight, not to sign posters

Then you are saying he is required to sign posters FOR FREE?

Let me tell you something, if you tell a plumber they have to do other ancillary WORK in their personal time unrelated to plumbing, but not get paid for it, good luck.

Obviously Wonderboy's time is worth something, and he's a few hundred hours into investment of it as required by the UFC, and they owe him for it.

i don't think he'll get or deserves 200k

Its all relative. There are a few hundred people on planet earth that can sell PPV fight tickets, Wonderboy is one of them. You get paid according to how rare the job you can complete is. This is common sense.

because of this goofball decision wonderboy made. i dunno how they gonna do it. but the ufc is gonna tighten up certain contracts for the fighters with 6 figure show money. they will put a stipulation that if the opponent misses weight or the opponent can't fight for whatever reason. and you decide to not take a late replacement or a rescheduled bout. you don't get your show money but will get some monetary compensation.

i also have a feeling wonderboy and/or his team, in addition to demanding getting paid his show money. they also want to count it as a fulfilled bout.

because of this goofball decision wonderboy made. i dunno how they gonna do it. but the ufc is gonna tighten up certain contracts for the fighters with 6 figure show money. they will put a stipulation that if the opponent misses weight or the opponent can't fight for whatever reason. and you decide to not take a late replacement or a rescheduled bout. you don't get your show money but will get some monetary compensation.

i also have a feeling wonderboy and/or his team, in addition to demanding getting paid his show money. they also want to count it as a fulfilled bout.

Those are complete bullshit terms.

The UFC already sold advance tickets and PPV sales using Wonderboy's name and likeness. The fact that so many of you think that should be for free is frankly bizarre. They've quite literally traded on his name, this is not possible in any other industry, including with contractors.

Second, its pretty well established doing two weight cuts a few weeks apart is a terrible idea. Its unhealthy and puts you at a massive disadvantage.

The UFC can open up the checkbook and pay backup fighters of appropriate rank to make weight. They do this on occasion but not frequently, because they are U Fight Cheap for a reason. Only 13% of revenue goes to fighter pay, this is why.

Those are complete bullshit terms.

Only 13% of revenue goes to fighter pay, this is why.

but getting paid more than a quarter million for cancelled fight because the other guy didn't make weight isn't bullshit? take the fight camp reimbursement and take a rescheduled fight a few months later. that's pretty reasonable.

sure a little increase in revenue share would be nice. when the ufc starts making NBA or NFL money then you can ask for a 50/50 revenue split.

but getting paid more than a quarter million for cancelled fight because the other guy didn't make weight isn't bullshit? take the fight camp reimbursement and take a rescheduled fight a few months later. that's pretty reasonable.

You get paid based on your name value. The UFC used Wonderboy's name and likeness to sell tickets and PPV sales in advance. Obviously he should be paid for the months of work leading up to the bout AND that they marketed his brand to earn money themselves.

when the ufc starts making NBA or NFL money then you can ask for a 50/50 revenue split.

What does gross revenue have to do with the split? The split is relative - it should be the same regardless.

If you were unaware, the UFC is currently paying out ~13% of revenue to fighters. This is publicly available information, don't take my word for it. The UFC is also having RECORD revenues and profits.

The UFC is both taking in the most gross cash they ever have in history, and making the most profit they ever have in history, while paying fighters the lowest % of revenue since operations began.

In other words, he should get paid.

sure a little increase in revenue share would be nice. when the ufc starts making NBA or NFL money then you can ask for a 50/50 revenue split.
Ah, someone regurgitating the QUARTER OF A MILLION DOLLARS for dramatic effect. How much “of a million dollars” would it be for a fighter to get paid? one tenth of a million dollars? Maybe one sixteenth of a million dollars?

Last edited:
man Ive defended Dana at times when people would say Im crazy for doing so. I like Dana generally, but what the fuck is there to discuss? He showed up, on weight, ready to fight. his opponent sabotaged that fight. End. No more discussion, pay the guy.

of all the fighters to burn, why Wonderboy? he aint do nuthin wrong ever. company man through and through that makes the sport look good.

Sooo…. when the dust settles, Michelle is guaranteed CUT after all this, yes??

Money is guaranteed in other professional sports and describing two months of training camp, filming UFC footage (that they own all rights to in perpetuity) and the UFC selling tickets using your name and likeness.

Maybe you are one of these new brand of cucks who like getting abused by corporations, but that is a lopsided deal. Dana & Co are selling "Wonderboy" and putting cash in their pocket marketing on his name and brand. He deserves to be compensated for that, even forgetting everything else he's had to do on his end.

Then you are saying he is required to sign posters FOR FREE?

Let me tell you something, if you tell a plumber they have to do other ancillary WORK in their personal time unrelated to plumbing, but not get paid for it, good luck.

Obviously Wonderboy's time is worth something, and he's a few hundred hours into investment of it as required by the UFC, and they owe him for it.

Its all relative. There are a few hundred people on planet earth that can sell PPV fight tickets, Wonderboy is one of them. You get paid according to how rare the job you can complete is. This is common sense.
I was gonna reply to this shill but you basically educated tf out of him with this post already. Shame on him for not having the common sense to even think about all these good and fair points you brought up.

Because he didn't fight. He gets paid for fighting. Not showing. Why are so many of you having difficulty with this?

Settle his camp expenses, which is fine, and it sounds like they're doing it. His entire purse for making weight? No.
You are a muppet. Stfu

Sooo…. when the dust settles, Michelle is guaranteed CUT after all this, yes??

He shouldn't be, his last weight miss was in 2019. A forced move up to 185 is much more likely.

Although I never liked the weight cutting culture, I'm getting pretty sick of fighters not making weight and making it other people's problems.

This has already happened to Thompson before so I believe he is 100% in the right in this situation to stand up for himself. he has everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Didn't Ferguson miss a fight for some reason, then they gave him another fight a few weeks later where he cut a lot of weight again which obviously hurt his health and he got utterly destroyed, ruining his career in the process?

Not to mention it's a dirty move how they're trying to "reschedule" this missed fight leaving Thompson not compensated for the work he put in for this fight.

Back