Media DEEP Full Fights:TK,Lil Nog,Yano,Mach,Chonan,Imanari,Maeda,Hisae,Ryuta,Misaki...

KO
Nakanishi x Ackah

Good one right here:
Matsumoto x Matsumto

Matsumoto vs Nagakura is an underrated banger. Matsumoto took the belt, retired to become a comedian, and now is a well known pro Street Fighter player under the name Jyobin

Kikuno x Hirota

Mizuguchi x Chang Hee Kim
(Was this part of their Megaton GP?...probably not)

Hoping that they post Nobuhiro Obiya vs Milton Vieira and Riki Fukuda vs Ryuta Sakurai 3

DJ.taiki vs. SHOJI is another classic that's been missing from the internet for a while except for in GIFs.

tumblr_o4h19noPFJ1tbl8wbo3_250.gifv

tumblr_o4h19noPFJ1tbl8wbo1_250.gifv

tumblr_o4h19noPFJ1tbl8wbo2_250.gifv

mentioning the Megaton GP also made me actually look to see if i could find my old highlights of the tournament that had been taken off youtube and luckily i found them in an old external hard drive.

man... those were the days....

mentioning the Megaton GP also made me actually look to see if i could find my old highlights of the tournament that had been taken off youtube and luckily i found them in an old external hard drive.

man... those were the days....

Are you GoForkYourself?

hahaha, yes indeed.

Long time, no see bro. That sucked when Youtube took such a huge chunk of the stuff you posted. Especially with the Japanese grappling stuff--it really served as a free advertisement to people outside of Japan for how exciting their no-gi grappling could be.

You hear about Takefumi Hanai?

Long time, no see bro. That sucked when Youtube took such a huge chunk of the stuff you posted. Especially with the Japanese grappling stuff--it really served as a free advertisement to people outside of Japan for how exciting their no-gi grappling could be.

You hear about Takefumi Hanai?
yeah, i don't know if you took time off from sherdog but i feel like i started seeing you post a lot more recently and was glad to see you back.

it did suck to lose a lot of that stuff, i wonder if i still have some of that takefumi hanai combat wrestling footage around somewhere.

yeah, i don't know if you took time off from sherdog but i feel like i started seeing you post a lot more recently and was glad to see you back.

it did suck to lose a lot of that stuff, i wonder if i still have some of that takefumi hanai combat wrestling footage around somewhere.

Yeah, Corona brought me back, I guess. Its weird, I haven't heard anything about Hanai's passing in any of the media outlets, I would have thought there would have been something somewhere.

Yeah, Corona brought me back, I guess. Its weird, I haven't heard anything about Hanai's passing in any of the media outlets, I would have thought there would have been something somewhere.
yeah, i don't pay attention as much as i used to but i think even general coverage of the mma scene in asia has gone downhill.

yeah, i don't pay attention as much as i used to but i think even general coverage of the mma scene in asia has gone downhill.

I put up a highlight of him, but it got taken down. I wish there was something memorializing him. I mean, he had a lot of fans and he was always kind to them on Facebook from what I can tell.

Do you still find Japanese MMA entertaining on the same level? The approach that Funaki refered to as "kaitentai" that seemed to run through Japanese grappling and MMA, even across camps, doesn't seem as present now. The commitment to being entertaining, to going for beautiful, exciting techniques, to trying to finish bouts, I don't find it as much. One of the younger guys I felt epitomized that approach was Shunichi Shimizu. He was always going for flying and rolling submissions, always on the attack. His career seems to be winding down though.

I put up a highlight of him, but it got taken down. I wish there was something memorializing him. I mean, he had a lot of fans and he was always kind to them on Facebook from what I can tell.

Do you still find Japanese MMA entertaining on the same level? The approach that Funaki refered to as "kaitentai" that seemed to run through Japanese grappling and MMA, even across camps, doesn't seem as present now. The commitment to being entertaining, to going for beautiful, exciting techniques, to trying to finish bouts, I don't find it as much. One of the younger guys I felt epitomized that approach was Shunichi Shimizu. He was always going for flying and rolling submissions, always on the attack. His career seems to be winding down though.

yeah i think i used to have a combat wrestling video that he featured prominently in but i couldn't find it. found his KOTC fight with buddy clinton though.

a lot of the attention i was paying to asian mma has shifted to other sports like rugby and sumo (when it comes around). i do feel like that spirit of japanese mma is lacking these days, and i especially miss the spectacle but a lot of that is probably nostalgia. i'm sure if i paid as much attention as i used to i'd still find it and there must still be guys like Uno, Tokoro, Daisuke Nakamura, Yoshiro Maeda, and others but i miss them for sure.

i also miss the weirdos like Hadairo and Dokonjonosuke Mishima.

I can't believe DEEP's highlights of this all-time classic don't include Minowa's epic rolling kneebar.

and yeah, it's unconscionable that they left this out:
fclBHRe.gif

minowa basically "powers up" with what would become his signature point to the sky (wasn't a part of his entrance at the time i don't think, certainly not in his katana-wielding entrance for this fight) and goes all out for tamura's leg.

and yeah, it's unconscionable that they left this out:
fclBHRe.gif

minowa basically "powers up" with what would become his signature point to the sky (wasn't a part of his entrance at the time i don't think, certainly not in his katana-wielding entrance for this fight) and goes all out for tamura's leg.

Perfectly stated, "powers up." And in the middle of a fight where is seemingly outclassed against a guy who is in many ways a more skilled version of himself. But Minowa refuses to give in. What a beast. That's the thing about classic Japanese MMA--they had moments and matches like this that were even better than what you might see in a great professional wrestling match.

That gif is epic.

yeah i think i used to have a combat wrestling video that he featured prominently in but i couldn't find it. found his KOTC fight with buddy clinton though.

a lot of the attention i was paying to asian mma has shifted to other sports like rugby and sumo (when it comes around). i do feel like that spirit of japanese mma is lacking these days, and i especially miss the spectacle but a lot of that is probably nostalgia. i'm sure if i paid as much attention as i used to i'd still find it and there must still be guys like Uno, Tokoro, Daisuke Nakamura, Yoshiro Maeda, and others but i miss them for sure.

i also miss the weirdos like Hadairo and Dokonjonosuke Mishima.
Maeda is still pretty active and still trying to become the 1st person to hold DEEP, Shooto, and Pancrase belts in a career. Nakamura, Tokoro, and Uno have all moved on to grappling mostly, first 2 taking part in most of the QUINTET events.

There's still a good amount of characters around and fighters that just go for broke, problem is western coverage of Asia became pretty much non-existent after DREAM folded and the fandom is down to basically a handful of people on Twitter. Now it's mostly RIZIN coverage and even that is very bare bones and still viewed through a UFC lens (focusing on former UFC fighters or guys that might end up there).

20year old Doo Hoo Choi x Ishida

Ishida was a ghost by this point, seeing his double leg degrade from the battering ram it was in his prime to what it looked like there was a cold reminder of time
Didnt Choi call out Kawajiri after this too?

Back