Social Elon Musk slams unregulated Texas power grid operator after moving to Texas to avoid regulation

What everyone aspires lmao
mcmansion-hell-rockwall.png
And that's exactly why I like Dallas County. It's mostly 50s/60s houses on large tree lined lots. DFW has an abdunance of older neighborhoods and greenbelts (screw McMansions on flat cow pasture land)

I'm not sure how deregulation plays into this, I know they broke up monopolies and allowed consumers to purchase electric from multiable sources but I've yet to read how that effected this.

If we want to play monday morning quarterback subsidizing wind farms over the last bunch of years meant all new money went toward those projects. but I'm not going to blame that, we have back up power plants that should have kicked in and handled any shortages, hell we use to sell California electricity when they were dealing with blackouts and brown outs. WAs deregulation the reason natural gas pipelines and generators froze or did deregulation cause nuclear plants cooling systems to freeze up or that isn't the reason they have taken coal off line over the years?

Deregulation is the reason they couldn't get power from other states.

All types of generators fail including coal and gas, connecting to a larger grid helps deal with those surprises.

Connecting to the grid requires safe guards that were not economically beneficial for the deregulated Texas market so they didn't bother.

It is. And it's not even close. Texas got wtfpwned by a freak weather happinstance.

This however? This was planned because the California government doesn't have the balls to deal with these people with a heavy hand.

iu

iu
iu
iu
iu

And long after Texas cleans up and recovers from this freak occurrence, California will still be wallowing in this shithole it created.

Here is Forbes telling you how your fucking "please cuck me" government is fucking up.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...ps-making-homelessness-worse/?sh=3ed4c1ae5a61

Enjoy!

As somebody who grew up in Austin and saw the horrible traffic situation evolve due to the states' idiotic decision not to bypass I-35 around the city, I've been laughing my ass off at all of the pro-Texas propaganda that people have been spouting for the past few years.

Yeah, real estate is cheaper (for now), but the state government is a dysfunctional clownshow which is severely hampered by the post-reconstruction constitution, which was explicitly designed to limit government efficacy because they were afraid of Northern carpetbaggers coming back.

No dog in this fight, either way... but I honestly don't understand what sort of inconsistency or paradox or whatever that you are trying to point out, here. People who are against regulation aren't generally against speaking out when unregulated companies do stupid things. In fact, they're generally very much in favour of that sort of thing as being one of the factors that keeps the unregulated companies "honest" and makes regulation unnecessary.

The only correct logical options is to have the state run energy, and utilities. All other options are foolish.

Ha!

The provincially run power company where I'm from poured millions of dollars into a literal free energy ponzi scheme with a secret formula for getting energy from sea water.

We're talking a full fledged, "I figured out a way to get around the laws of thermodynamics, but I can't tell you how I do it because someone will steal my idea; and if you just give me a few million dollars to patent it and get it to market, we'll be partners and you can have, and sell, free energy for life!" type of hoax.

No hyperbole. No joke:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-power-gaetan-thomas-1.5131620

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

You can't make this stuff up.

Ha!

The provincially run power company where I'm from poured millions of dollars into a literal free energy ponzi scheme with a secret formula for getting energy from sea water.

We're talking a full fledged, "I figured out a way to get around the laws of thermodynamics, but I can't tell you how I do it because someone will steal my idea; and if you just give me a few million dollars to patent it and get it to market, we'll be partners and you can have, and sell, free energy for life!" type of hoax.

No hyperbole. No joke:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-power-gaetan-thomas-1.5131620

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

You can't make this stuff up.

Wow so 1 mess up vs the regular robberies and mess ups of private companies

Wow so 1 mess up vs the regular robberies and mess ups of private companies

Mess up? They got taken for a free energy scam. Worse. They got taken with a free energy scam for our tax money.

Besides, these guys mess up all of the time. Everyone is complaining about power outages in Texas. I live in Canada and power outages are standard for storms. It's not particularly rare for some people to be without power for a week or more. And being without power in Canada in January or February is a hell of a lot more dire than being without power in Texas.

The difference is that when a private company messes up enough, it gets replaced by a more competent competitor. When a public company messes up, they just transfer funds from the taxpayer to keep their Ponzi scheme afloat (and again, I'm talking about a LITERALY Ponzi Scheme, here).

Look, I'm not against public companies. I think they are the best way to go in a lot of instances where profit models threaten the wellbeing of citizens who simply can't pay (water delivery, for instance, is better done through a public system because we don't want people or neighborhoods going without clean water just because delivery might be unprofitable).

I'll even admit that power might fall into that category (it's on the line for me, because, unlike clean water, there are so many different options available for generating heat and light).

But I'm not going to pretend that there's some overwhelming body of evidence suggesting that public power companies do it any better than private ones. They don't. You're looking at one incident that resulted from a freakish weather pattern. I don't know the ins and outs of what happened there, but it does look like they fucked up, so I'm fine to concede that point. But to act like public companies don't fuck up just as badly all of the time, especially during freak events? Naw. That's just playing dumb. Won't do it.

Back