EU passes law requiring all devices to charge with USB-C; Apple will have to ditch lightning ports

On fire? Were setting all time records for the most rain we've ever seen actually.

Owned by China? Um no... but im sure they'd like that very much. They are certainly our biggest customer.

Ahh, so it's floods now, it was fire storms previously.

When America rolls back it's imperialism, which will happen if we are to avoid WWIII, China eats aus and co for breakfast. It'll be social credit scores, lockdowns and tai chi. Underwater or on fire.

But honestly I'm pretty jealous for your way of life right now.

I just think it'll be fucked in 50-100yrs. So will mainland Europes tho!

It's going to take a year to charge a Tesla via a USB-C port. <Moves>

I understand the phones tablets and maybe cameras charging via USB-C but laptops require more power and use larger batteries. According to what data I can find, USB-C can provide a maximum of 3 amps a 5 volts. Current laptops have batteries in the 7.5 volt to 18 volt range and it requires a higher than battery voltage to charge a battery. My ASUS with an 11.4 volt battery has a 19 volt charger. If they drop the battery voltage to use the same batteries used in cell phones and tablets, they will require more of those batteries and take a long time to charge fully at 5 volts 3 amps.

Informative and pertinent.
Thanks for this post.

The fact apple got away with it for this long is crazy. Opening up my last I phone case to discover they didn’t include the charging port you plug into the wall was ballsy even for that money hungry bastard of a company.

It's going to take a year to charge a Tesla via a USB-C port. <Moves>

I understand the phones tablets and maybe cameras charging via USB-C but laptops require more power and use larger batteries. According to what data I can find, USB-C can provide a maximum of 3 amps a 5 volts. Current laptops have batteries in the 7.5 volt to 18 volt range and it requires a higher than battery voltage to charge a battery. My ASUS with an 11.4 volt battery has a 19 volt charger. If they drop the battery voltage to use the same batteries used in cell phones and tablets, they will require more of those batteries and take a long time to charge fully at 5 volts 3 amps.

That's incorrect. Or rather they aren't talking about mandating the original spec, only the USB-C connector. USB-C with power delivery will already do up to 20V/5A and the extended power range they finalised last year allows for up to 48V/5A. One of my work laptops is a Dell which charges at 26V/5A on specified USB-C Dell docks, other brand laptops with USB-C charging are limited to the 20V/5A on the same dock (you'll see a similar thing with USB-C fast charging and phones). Likewise we've seen the USB-C data rate increase from USB 3.1 gen 1 at 5Gbps up to USB 4.0 (they keep changing the naming mind you) at 40Gbps.

Informative and pertinent.
Thanks for this post.
No it isn’t. I just bought a 130W 3-port wall charger from Amazon with 2 USB-C ports and a traditional USB-A and I can charge my laptop and phone at the same time, fast.

No it isn’t. I just bought a 130W 3-port wall charger from Amazon with 2 USB-C ports and a traditional USB-A and I can charge my laptop and phone at the same time, fast.

Ah ffs.

I honestly thought this was one of those Happy Accidents where I came here to waste time shitposting and bloviating but slipped on a banana peel and accidently learned something useful here.

...that likkle ray of inspirational sunlight shone into this sub so brightly yet all too briefly before getting thrown out the door of speeding car driven by @scoopj's relentless factcheck

And so....
I feel nothing...
I trust nothing...

Ahh, so it's floods now, it was fire storms previously.

When America rolls back it's imperialism, which will happen if we are to avoid WWIII, China eats aus and co for breakfast. It'll be social credit scores, lockdowns and tai chi. Underwater or on fire.

But honestly I'm pretty jealous for your way of life right now.

I just think it'll be fucked in 50-100yrs. So will mainland Europes tho!

That's why we're currently buying nuclear subs, JSF's and main battle tanks from the yanks.

A combination of 12'th I think, largest military spending in the world and a massive continent that would suck ass to try and invade... I think we'll be just fine.

But, if I'm somehow here in 50 years I'll be 93 years old and probably pooping my pants anyway so who cares if the Chinese try and invade?

...honestly, they are already at their peak and it's all down hill from here so I am hardly concerned.

That's incorrect. Or rather they aren't talking about mandating the original spec, only the USB-C connector. USB-C with power delivery will already do up to 20V/5A and the extended power range they finalised last year allows for up to 48V/5A. One of my work laptops is a Dell which charges at 26V/5A on specified USB-C Dell docks, other brand laptops with USB-C charging are limited to the 20V/5A on the same dock (you'll see a similar thing with USB-C fast charging and phones). Likewise we've seen the USB-C data rate increase from USB 3.1 gen 1 at 5Gbps up to USB 4.0 (they keep changing the naming mind you) at 40Gbps.

I have multiple chargers and best variant for me is:
1 charger box with 4 USB connectors....
So I just change coonector's cable.
Box is small and provides 1 A and 2,1 A ....
So I just change cables : m USB or C....cable.
And ofc connector contacts : 3 offer 1A, 1 - 2,1A ....
I have other stuff with just 1 A and next with 1,35A and some other stuff with 0,65A ....

___
It is just to change cable I insert in charger's contact ....
Cable to connect charger's contact with device might cost 3 -20 EUR
If we are talking about USB m and USB c....
USB to USB m or USB c cable....
^__

Ah ffs.

I honestly thought this was one of those Happy Accidents where I came here to waste time shitposting and bloviating but slipped on a banana peel and accidently learned something useful here.

...that likkle ray of inspirational sunlight shone into this sub so brightly yet all too briefly before getting thrown out the door of speeding car driven by @scoopj's relentless factcheck

And so....
I feel nothing...
I trust nothing...

Well that had the opposite effect of what I intended lol. It’s supposed to be good news: moving to USB-C will not set us back. We can “adapt” without losing anything in terms of performance with the possible exception of gaming laptops, and even that issue should be resolved in time.

For laptop usually is special device and cable with specific connector.....for charging.

While reason why EU had fucked this mesh with chargers was cos...
During some timeframe mobile phone companies had manufactered approx 40 different connectors and chargers ....
Not like just type C and m USB or 3,5 mm..

It was when 1 mobile phones producer company had 11 different connectors for charger.
Another company 15+ etc....
Prop for each model ( almost ).
Samsung and Sony Ericson were famous with this...
Some other corps too.

Model Xcc? U use charger cable with connector for Xcc.
Model Xcy? U use charger cable with connector for Xcy and can't insert connector produced for Xcc in phone....in order to charge it....

I would definitely disagree there... especially currently.

Enjoy your upcoming winter with no heating and insanely expensive gas though... should be fun.

On average. If living in a country was decided by lucky dip there's more people choosing Europe to Oceania.

I have multiple chargers and best variant for me is:
1 charger box with 4 USB connectors....
So I just change coonector's cable.
Box is small and provides 1 A and 2,1 A ....
So I just change cables : m USB or C....cable.
And ofc connector contacts : 3 offer 1A, 1 - 2,1A ....
I have other stuff with just 1 A and next with 1,35A and some other stuff with 0,65A ....

___
It is just to change cable I insert in charger's contact ....
Cable to connect charger's contact with device might cost 3 -20 EUR
If we are talking about USB m and USB c....
USB to USB m or USB c cable....
^__

From past experience delivering systems to clients with technologically illiterate users, I think a standardised port which negotiates voltage is a significant step forward over just having a bunch of different sized coaxial connectors. In which case it's always been a matter of good luck if the users have two devices with roughly the same sized coaxial connector but with different voltage, amperage and no overvoltage protection.

I'm definitely in favour of industry standards, I'm just not sure it needs to be legally required to comply with them. It's not a matter of safety like building codes or traffic laws. Usually failing to comply with the most prolific industry standards will harm the company, even when the solution is (arguably) technically superior. As with RDRAM, OSI CMIP, Betamax or DVD+R(W).

From past experience delivering systems to clients with technologically illiterate users, I think a standardised port which negotiates voltage is a significant step forward over just having a bunch of different sized coaxial connectors. In which case it's always been a matter of good luck if the users have two devices with roughly the same sized coaxial connector but with different voltage, amperage and no overvoltage protection.

I'm definitely in favour of industry standards, I'm just not sure it needs to be legally required to comply with them. It's not a matter of safety like building codes or traffic laws. Usually failing to comply with the most prolific industry standards will harm the company, even when the solution is (arguably) technically superior. As with RDRAM, OSI CMIP, Betamax or DVD+R(W).

Well, cos connectors ends were different, even being Turing prize winner and Nobel premium laureate will not help in such case:

You have phone X and model yzyu...
And you physically are able to use only yzyu connetctor in order to be physically capable to insert cable in order to charge your phone.
Simple physics.....
___
Model 520?
Charger xuq520.
Model 521?
Charger xuq521...
The same company.....
___

DVD+R imho was cos.....
Companies were required to warrant about % of errors in re write process?

We had one company in ara where magnetic tapes were still actual in 2002 th...
CD they at least had approved.
50% from investors were from west.
Old school, to talk with them was.... u need paper document on...paper...
And handle them papers in hands....normally packaged....

Even today with 2022 th...
They are demanding all documents to handle also on physical paper and with real physical signature on them....
+ now most likely will accept that SSD does work...
Company is with net worth 3,5b...

Well, cos connectors ends were different, even being Turing prize winner and Nobel premium laureate will not help in such case:

You have phone X and model yzyu...
And you physically are able to use only yzyu connetctor in order to be physically capable to insert cable in order to charge your phone.
Simple physics.....
___
Model 520?
Charger xuq520.
Model 521?
Charger xuq521...
The same company.....
___

Sadly the same sized connectors are frequently used, and not just with small consumer devices where people would have a box full of power adapters and figure they'll just use whichever one fits. You'd even come across it with laptops of the same brand. Toshiba for instance used 5.5 x 2.5mm jacks for both 15V and 19V laptop chargers.

I would definitely disagree there... especially currently.

Enjoy your upcoming winter with no heating and insanely expensive gas though... should be fun.

You most likely are delusional.

First question: why no heating?
Second question: why we will freeze till death ?

Today without heating we have +19C° in 2 offices.....
Okey, we are selling construction materials and " maybe " know something....
Warehouses ofc will be different talk...

As for my living place : I didn't had used all fuel I had bought for 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 winter.....

For business we have fuel in storages for 3 months with -20 - 25 C° outdoor, bought for 2021 th prices.
For home I have fuel maybe till may. Heating isn't used in sept or this month...except one session in order to reduce humidity level....
Before this indoor t° was + 19C° in rooms....

The fact apple got away with it for this long is crazy. Opening up my last I phone case to discover they didn’t include the charging port you plug into the wall was ballsy even for that money hungry bastard of a company.
My iphone was a gift; I would never buy an Apple product because I hate how scummy their business practice is, even though the iPhone is a good phone. Aside from their opposition to right-to-repair, from locking batteries to phones so owners can not change their own battery, their marketing employed cult-like behavior, which goes back to Steve Jobs' influence.

Sadly the same sized connectors are frequently used, and not just with small consumer devices where people would have a box full of power adapters and figure they'll just use whichever one fits. You'd even come across it with laptops of the same brand. Toshiba for instance used 5.5 x 2.5mm jacks for both 15V and 19V laptop chargers.

It is what this is yeah.

While from my experience if person isn't dumb.....
And marking on charger is clean and enough large.....

I had been taught in 1st grade el school that ( and why ) 19>15....
Ofc 1,5< 2 and 1,9<2 later when I was 3 rd grade el school 9 y.o kid....

We had been taught that 15<19 in kinder garden.
6 y.o.

I was under the impression that wireless charging would be the future, but it doesn't seem to have caught on

I'm a clutz and work on construction sights. Wireless charging would never work with the bomb proof cases I keep my phones in.

Imho we don't need wireless charging...

It is ridiculous idea BTW....

Back