For those with experience. What is the best assault rifle on the planet? or the top 2 or 3?

i'd say it would be more reliant on caliber and specific rounds fed through the major combat rifles.

generally an M4/M16 has a lot of drawbacks due to the 5.56 round used particularly when using M855 or M855a1.

a 25-06, 6.5creedmore or .308 based rifle is where i'd start looking.
as such the FAL would be in the running since it's a 7.62x51 and as far as i'm aware well known for reliability, personally i'll always have a soft spot for any version or variant of the M14.

also assault is a verb not an adjective....

personally i'll always have a soft spot for any version or variant of the M14.

I too would want a battle rifle that beats itself apart with every shot, quickly loses and fails to maintain accuracy standards, takes skill to tune and maintain properly.

I too would want a battle rifle that beats itself apart with every shot, quickly loses and fails to maintain accuracy standards, takes skill to tune and maintain properly.
that's why it was brought back into service when the M4/M16 was found to be not good enough and medium to long range engagements?
funny since i've literally never heard or single complaint against the M14/M1A platform that you've listed any where else...

Last edited:
In what way.
lets see here it shoots a round that is almost completely ineffective against anything thicker than plywood at medium range. is so bad at killing that .223/5.56 isn't even allowed for use in hunting medium or large game such as deer (white tailed deer average 100lbs or 150lbs for females and males respectively).

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/12/10/more-than-a-rifle-how-a-new-68mm-round-advanced-optics-will-make-soldiers-marines-a-lot-deadlier/

Last edited:
that's why it was brought back into service when the M4/M16 was found to be not good enough and medium to long range engagements?
funny since i've literally never heard or single complaint against the M14/M1A platform that you've listed any where else...

It was brought back for the calibre and availability of inventory. Once 7.62 NATO versions of other platforms became available, those were adopted by units that could afford them. Mind you I've never served, just read a lot of reports. It's just amazing to me how big a role logistics & procurement plays into warfighting.

5.56 isn't a long range round. DMR/SPR was still needed. M14 is still not great.

http://looserounds.com/2015/01/30/the-m14-not-much-for-fighting-a-case-against-the-m14-legend/

lets see here it shoots a round that is almost completely ineffective against anything thicker than plywood at medium range. is so bad at killing that .225/5.56 isn't even allowed for use in hunting medium or large game (such as deer (white tailed deer average 100lbs or 150lbs for females and males respectively).

Lol. Maybe in some states due to ignorance it's not allowed for hunting but it's plenty sufficient for deer.

5.56 is devastating to soft targets, deer included.

Some gel tests.
A round to particularly pay attention to is the mk-318 mod 0 that USMC adopted.

2ynm8lf.jpg

77grTMK_06.jpg

77024.JPG

ef7f4qusd5xsbwh02z1gwxnuda6keclt.jpg

It's not a .308 but you don't need elk stopping power to give deer or jihadists a dirt nap.

I can post deer pictures in Spoiler tags if you're interested.

I think this is a fun comparison, I left fpe out as it's a dead give away.

One is 5.56 77gr tmk

Other is 7.62 M80 147gr ball ammo

T95rUag.jpg

S61ni8G.jpg

is so bad at killing that .223/5.56 isn't even allowed for use in hunting medium or large game such as deer

Um....... hunting caliber is defined by state. In WA you can't use .223 or 5.56 for deer but hog hunting you can use it and in some other states you can use .223 or 5.56 for hunting deer so....

so has .22lr, would you consider a 10/22 in a 'tactical stock' a good weapon for the military?

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/
http://ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

The Israelis got so good with the 10/22 and maiming people by shooting them in the eye and shit that the round out of that gun got reclassified from "less than lethal" to "lethal" by the JAG in Israel.

In the recent Israeli-Palestinian clashes began in 2000, the Ruger resumes it’s original role as a less lethal riot control weapon. However, it’s usage in this role was rather controversial this time. After several incidents involving the death of Palestinians by the Ruger fire, the IDF conducted a field experiment in the Ruger at the IDF Sniper School in Mitkan Adam under the supervision of the IDF Judge Advocate General (JAG). The test showed that the Ruger was more lethal then thought especially in upper body injuries. Also, since it’s suppressed and was considered less lethal by the troops, the soldiers were much more likely to use the Ruger loosely then intended.

As a result of this test, the JAG reclassified the Ruger as a lethal weapon. As a lethal weapon, the usage of the Ruger in riot control is much more limited today. In the IDF Center Command it was completely prohibited to use and the IDF South Command it’s deployment was cut down dramatically.

i think an integrally suppressed 22LR would be a fantastic special purposes weapon. and they coincidentally HAVE been used, and CONTINUE to be used for covert special purposes by varying militaries...
*COUGH*IDF*COUGH*

A lot of this sounds like something parrot'd by people that frequent AK forums while in their Adidas track suit.

Um....... hunting caliber is defined by state. In WA you can't use .223 or 5.56 for deer but hog hunting you can use it and in some other states you can use .223 or 5.56 for hunting deer so....

http://ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

The Israelis got so good with the 10/22 and maiming people by shooting them in the eye and shit that the round out of that gun got reclassified from "less than lethal" to "lethal" by the JAG in Israel.

*COUGH*IDF*COUGH*

A lot of this sounds like something parrot'd by people that frequent AK forums while in their Adidas track suit.

We had a ruger mk iii we used to pop rats with back in narawa

Takes skill to tune and maintain properly? What? You can do pretty much everything on an the platform with hand tools and midlength and riflelength gas tubes on DI work just fine. Meanwhile, if you need to swap the barrel on an AK platform you need to go to a machine shop with a press, and the design involves riveting.

Do you have something else in mind that somehow tops this? The only one I can think of off-hand is the AUG, which can be hand broken down and assembled.

Takes skill to tune and maintain properly? What? You can do pretty much everything on an the platform with hand tools and midlength and riflelength gas tubes on DI work just fine. Meanwhile, if you need to swap the barrel on an AK platform you need to go to a machine shop with a press, and the design involves riveting.

Do you have something else in mind that somehow tops this? The only one I can think of off-hand is the AUG, which can be hand broken down and assembled.

He said M14 not M4.

oh in that case, carry on. Even though I must admit I find the lines on the M14 to be much more pleasing than its contempraries (FAL, G3)

It's a great looking and fun rifle to shoot. It's just not what I would consider a good battle rifle. In battle field conditions you are talking a new glass bedding needed every 1-2k rounds and some possible replacement parts.

I've shot an HK 91 and G3. Never fired a real FAL.

It's a great looking and fun rifle to shoot. It's just not what I would consider a good battle rifle. In battle field conditions you are talking a new glass bedding needed every 1-2k rounds and some possible replacement parts.

I've shot an HK 91 and G3. Never fired a real FAL.

I've read that the op-rod (I presume what cycles the bolt) has a tendency to get bent as well.

Full disclosure - I've never even fired a 7.62x51 (PLEASE GOD FORGIVE YOUR SINFUL CHILDREN WE NEVER HAD REAL NATO)

Back