News Gegard Mousasi to defend title vs. John Salter at Bellator 264, Aug. 13

I just thought of something. Austin Vanderford beating Gegard for the title would be probably the best thing for Bellator, maybe second best to what already happened which was McKee beating Pitbull. Like I don't think it will happen, right now I place it at a 5-10% chance of happening. But if he were to beat him, particularly if he were to finish him conclusively, via sub or GNP (let's not even entertain him finishing him via KO). That would be amazing for Bellator. For a couple reasons.

Gegard is one of the last champs in the Bellator who is a former UFC signing. I know Bader still has the main belt but since they gave Moldavsky the interim, and there's also Pettis. If Vanderford by some miracle beat Gegard, and if he even beat Romero after that, it would give some legitimacy to the MW division that Bellator built their own champ, like AJ McKee, but also people would recognize that he's at least a top 10 MW in the world. IF that happened, which again, the odds are very slim but they're making the fight anyways.

Secondly, he has a tremendous following due to who his wife is. Take social media for example. AJ McKee has 102k instagram followers. Gegard has 143k. Vanderford has 175k instagram followers. He has more of a following than Bellator's biggest prospect in arguably the history of the promotion, and a legend of the sport who has remained at least a top 10 MW in the world in 3 different decades. If he won, that following would inevitably grow, and it'd be a big publicity storyline for the promotion.

And maybe that's why they're pushing for this fight. Like I think Austin probably deserves a shot, but on the other hand, he might want even more fights or seasoning. But the upside would be tremendous for the promotion.

I just thought of something. Austin Vanderford beating Gegard for the title would be probably the best thing for Bellator, maybe second best to what already happened which was McKee beating Pitbull. Like I don't think it will happen, right now I place it at a 5-10% chance of happening. But if he were to beat him, particularly if he were to finish him conclusively, via sub or GNP (let's not even entertain him finishing him via KO). That would be amazing for Bellator. For a couple reasons.

Gegard is one of the last champs in the Bellator who is a former UFC signing. I know Bader still has the main belt but since they gave Moldavsky the interim, and there's also Pettis. If Vanderford by some miracle beat Gegard, and if he even beat Romero after that, it would give some legitimacy to the MW division that Bellator built their own champ, like AJ McKee, but also people would recognize that he's at least a top 10 MW in the world. IF that happened, which again, the odds are very slim but they're making the fight anyways.

Secondly, he has a tremendous following due to who his wife is. Take social media for example. AJ McKee has 102k instagram followers. Gegard has 143k. Vanderford has 175k instagram followers. He has more of a following than Bellator's biggest prospect in arguably the history of the promotion, and a legend of the sport who has remained at least a top 10 MW in the world in 3 different decades. If he won, that following would inevitably grow, and it'd be a big publicity storyline for the promotion.

And maybe that's why they're pushing for this fight. Like I think Austin probably deserves a shot, but on the other hand, he might want even more fights or seasoning. But the upside would be tremendous for the promotion.

I think Austin does the same stuff as Salter but he has the advantage of being younger and stronger so he won't gas while doing it. I think he has some chance against Moose but I'd still favour Moose. He has good wrestling and BJJ, but I still think his standup needs work and it's a big step up from fighting Fabian Edwards to being in there with Mousasi.

I think Eblen is the most likely one to catch Moose aging out. As much as people claim Gegard is still elite, I think his recent fights tell a different story, he made hard work of a pretty shot Machida, walled and stalled against Lima (we then saw how comfortably Amasov was able to beat Douglas with good offensive grappling) and kind of waited for Salter to gas out. He's clearly on the decline imo.

EDIT - Tokov could also get it done potentially, but they seem to be avoiding that. Maybe they don't want the champs from MW up to all be Russians from the same team.

I think Austin does the same stuff as Salter but he has the advantage of being younger and stronger so he won't gas while doing it. I think he has some chance against Moose but I'd still favour Moose. He has good wrestling and BJJ, but I still think his standup needs work and it's a big step up from fighting Fabian Edwards to being in there with Mousasi.

I think Eblen is the most likely one to catch Moose aging out. As much as people claim Gegard is still elite, I think his recent fights tell a different story, he made hard work of a pretty shot Machida, walled and stalled against Lima (we then saw how comfortably Amasov was able to beat Douglas with good offensive grappling) and kind of waited for Salter to gas out. He's clearly on the decline imo.

EDIT - Tokov could also get it done potentially, but they seem to be avoiding that. Maybe they don't want the champs from MW up to all be Russians from the same team.
Yeah, for sure, I don't think he'll be the one to do it. But I think, if Bellator had to choose someone to do it, you'd choose Vanderford right?

Part of why I call him Salter++ is because I think, on the one hand he's very good and does a lot of amazing stuff, I don't think he quite has the talent ceiling that guys like Eblen, Rosta, Tokov, or like Salamu Abdurakhmanov, Ikram Aliskerov have. But like, Eblen has like 7k instagram followers, Rosta has like 12k. Maybe even that's why they might stall Tokov and Eblen getting title shots. If you could pick a champ it'd definitely be Vanderford because I think he'll definitely get the most eyeballs.

Yeah, for sure, I don't think he'll be the one to do it. But I think, if Bellator had to choose someone to do it, you'd choose Vanderford right?

Part of why I call him Salter++ is because I think, on the one hand he's very good and does a lot of amazing stuff, I don't think he quite has the talent ceiling that guys like Eblen, Rosta, Tokov, or like Salamu Abdurakhmanov, Ikram Aliskerov have. But like, Eblen has like 7k instagram followers, Rosta has like 12k. Maybe even that's why they might stall Tokov and Eblen getting title shots. If you could pick a champ it'd definitely be Vanderford because I think he'll definitely get the most eyeballs.

For sure on the popularity thing. They've put him on the desk as an analyst for a reason.

Dude it's a message board, if you make a post people are entitled to reply to it as they see fit. If you don't like it just put me on your ignore list.
Not my style, I prefer to take care of business and tell it the way it is( well my opinion , anyway).
I also like to keep you grounded ( when necessary).
No bigs, I was a bit out of my skin last night.

Not my style, I prefer to take care of business and tell it the way it is( well my opinion , anyway).
I also like to keep you grounded ( when necessary).
No bigs, I was a bit out of my skin last night.

lol okay, I don't get where you get the impression I'm not grounded though. I'm just giving my opinion on stuff, sometimes it's going to be different to yours.

You're not a last word guy? Heh that's funny, considering that you have over 25,000 comments on this site. Not a last word guy. And you have a 10:1 like to comment ratio, which means you're writing long posts that people aren't reading in the midst of arguments that have nothing to do with them. Not a last word guy, hilarious. You wrote that post and then 3 more rage posts addressed to me because you're "not a last word guy."

You are a joke because you took a guy who said "Salter by peruvian necktie" seriously when you admitted yourself that you knew the innuendo. You're a joke because that was the only guy who said anything like that and you described it as "the first few pages are...salter by sub filled". Filled? One guy making an innuendo is filled? That's the joke. You're self serious and your characterizations are dishonest.

Did he fight against any of those guys that you mentioned? No. Your argument strategy, the "cluster of random gripes" strategy isn't actually logic, it's just an old head talking about how times were always better in the past. To be fair I also posted a post a few days about how some past era of UFC was better, but you don't reminisce once or twice you live in the past. All of the people that Gegard beat in his "magical" run where he beat "All" 7 of 8 fighters are either retired or gatekeepers now, who have picked up many losses since to new talent that the UFC now push. And what you're going to say, on queue, is that they're older now. It's not as impressive when they won against the same competition. Well Gegard is also older now. And he is not immune to biology, unlike what you want to believe.

And it's hilarious to me that, because you're not a Bellator fan. You're actually really cut up inside about the fact that he's in Bellator. Because all of these thousands, and I mean thousands, of arguments that you've had with people, we'll just never know. Because he's not in the promotion. And that eats at you. Because if only he were there to prove he was so great...but he can't. And he's not. He's in bellator. And he'll face another person you probably think inside is a bellabum but you have to hype up anyways because if you don't then arguing with other UFC fans about his legacy would be that much harder.

Wow that was very vivid haha. Honored to make a Franklin U fantasy. I just realized, you must be that guy that Gegard said sent him the butt selfie when Brendan Schaub made the statement about Gegard's junk size on the radio haha.

They were grooming Van Steenis. They still are. There's a reason he accepted a fight with Salter and by now hasn't fought in a year while Tokov, Vanderford, and Eblen couldn't get any top 5 fights.

Now to address the legitimate concern that Salter was a betting favorite, of course he was. It's a classic striker vs. wrestler match, smart people with money on the line go with the wrestler. But their intention was not and their intention still is not to give Van Steenis challenging competition. Because if he can't beat the least he certainly can't beat the best.

I see your join date too, I'm very impressed that you've been posting bad takes for a long time. /s

The UFC is not dying. It is not remotely struggling. No matter what fantasies you may have. The year to year profits are increasing steadily and no gripes from yourself or any others will change that. And you know the funniest thing? I don't even dislike Gegard. Before obnoxious people like yourself came along I had no gripes about him. I had and have still no problem recognizing his historical value in the sport.

But some day he will retire. And even newer people than me will have never seen him fight. And all the fighters that he fought will have retired. And no one will ever care about who he was or what he did. And you're going to troll these boards once every so often to say "remember that Gegard guy? The one who was really good long ago and is now retired? He was really something." And people will go on with their day and not mind you. And you'll say "MMA is so much worse now, sans Gegard." And people still will not care, some won't even know who you're talking about. And you'll have to live with that. You'll have to live with the fact that our sport is growing, the fastest growing spectator sport in the world. And that people are entering the sport who will have no reverence for the history of the sport and will not care who Gegard was. And soon if it's not already the case, most people who watch the UFC will have never seen Gegard fight. You'll have to live in a world where Gegard is irrelevant.

And I don't think Gegard minds that. Gegard himself has made enough money, with investments and savings, to live comfortably and happily for the rest of his life. But it's going to eat at you, until maybe some day it's just not worth it and you'll walk away from the sport. Because these young new names will never be good enough for you. They'll never be the same. You had one night in shining armor, and he will be gone. Perhaps without ever having returned to the UFC to prove that you were right in all those meaningless Sherdog arguments.

I tried to scroll through your term paper but most doesnt mske any sense ( only according to you). Lol - I never said , i wasnt a Bellator fan ????
This all started on my respectful tske on M.Vettori ...and u started with the name calling ( and your ignorance ) and now I see TCE ( whatever) joining the party.

I have room to take care of EVERYBODY. You're easy money- stop twisting my words around.

This dude legit having a complete breakdown over here. Even quoting himself.

I hope it's just booze and you can sleep on it and wake up okay.
No booze but definitely in a different aisle last night.

WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU - ANYWAY ?

lol okay, I don't get where you get the impression I'm not grounded though. I'm just giving my opinion on stuff, sometimes it's going to be different to yours.
This is true.... not what I was referencing , though.
I'll leave it at that .

He is the bearer of all truth, when we say things he disagrees with we are not grounded, obviously.

I tried to scroll through your term paper but most doesnt mske any sense ( only according to you). Lol - I never said , i wasnt a Bellator fan ????
This all started on my respectful tske on M.Vettori ...and u started with the name calling ( and your ignorance ) and now I see TCE ( whatever) joining the party.

I have room to take care of EVERYBODY. You're easy money- stop twisting my words around.
See Bellator fans watch Bellator events, and not just ones with Mousasi, that's how that one goes.

You think all your takes are respectful but then you say dumb stuff like you need to keep other people "grounded", it's your entire aura of superiority, you think your takes are better than everyone else and they cannot live without your correction. Then you get surprised when people cross you.

You say I "named called" you. No, you called a group of people "casuals", that's a name. Please do point out in my original response, which names did I use? Or did I just point out that you demonstrate very little knowledge of the fighters we are discussing, like Vettori and Vanderford, and their opponents. And that you're biased towards Mousasi. And then at the very end, point out that you're not in a strong position to call other people casuals. See, I didn't "name call" you. You name called a group of people, probably a group you consider me a member of, and I pointed out why you didn't have the right to call them that.

However, in the process of replying to you, I borrowed your superiority aura, and I acted like I knew everything and you were the clueless person who I must save from wrong beliefs. And that annoyed you. Which is should. So don't do it to other people.

He is the bearer of all truth, when we say things he disagrees with we are not grounded, obviously.

See Bellator fans watch Bellator events, and not just ones with Mousasi, that's how that one goes.

You think all your takes are respectful but then you say dumb stuff like you need to keep other people "grounded", it's your entire aura of superiority, you think your takes are better than everyone else and they cannot live without your correction. Then you get surprised when people cross you.

You say I "named called" you. No, you called a group of people "casuals", that's a name. Please do point out in my original response, which names did I use? Or did I just point out that you demonstrate very little knowledge of the fighters we are discussing, like Vettori and Vanderford, and their opponents. And that you're biased towards Mousasi. And then at the very end, point out that you're not in a strong position to call other people casuals. See, I didn't "name call" you. You name called a group of people, probably a group you consider me a member of, and I pointed out why you didn't have the right to call them that.

However, in the process of replying to you, I borrowed your superiority aura, and I acted like I knew everything and you were the clueless person who I must save from wrong beliefs. And that annoyed you. Which is should. So don't do it to other people.
Can you ever answer post without writing a book.
Casuals( something that happens alot around here ) and opening up a post by calling me whatever are 2 different worlds. So you think I just watch Mousasi led BMMA events.
Ok, lol.

Gee- I do alot of defending of the top 4 BMMA welters.... and take alot of shit for it from " casuals" but ok. I take care of them - too.

....and dont tell me what to do- and as far as mma goes my aura is up there. Are there people on here who know more than me ? Yeah - sure.
You're not one of them.

Can you ever answer post without writing a book.
Casuals( something that happens alot around here ) and opening up a post by calling me whatever are 2 different worlds. So you think I just watch Mousasi led BMMA events.
Ok, lol.

Gee- I do alot of defending of the top 4 BMMA welters.... and take alot of shit for it from " casuals" but ok. I take care of them - too.
Let me guess. Did it start when Lima went up to face Mousasi at MW, you had to do some research into why Lima was good at WW so you could argue beating Lima was a big accomplishment? Good times haha

....and dont tell me what to do- and as far as mma goes my aura is up there. Are there people on here who know more than me ? Yeah - sure.
You're not one of them.
It's ok buddy, I do what I want. I take care of you easy.

Let me guess. Did it start when Lima went up to face Mousasi at MW, you had to do some research into why Lima was good at WW so you could argue beating Lima was a big accomplishment? Good times haha

It's ok buddy, I do what I want. I take care of you easy.

Lol- always been a Lima guy , 19.

Hey 19- you'll never take care of me.

Mousasi -240
Vettori +210

Again, throw in UFC bias and new fans not really knowing Gegard and vettori just fought Israel then maybe,
Mousasi -200
Vettori +170

Deal with it.

Last edited:
Lol- always been a Lima guy , 19.

Hey 19- you'll never take care of me.

Mousasi -240
Vettori +210

Again, throw in UFC bias and new fans not really knowing Gegard and vettori just fought Israel then maybe,
Mousasi -200
Vettori +170

Deal with it.
Ah yes, the ol' pulling numbers out of ass strategy. No stronger argument has ever been made.

Hey 25000, I always take care of you. I take care of you so much you should call me daddy.

Back