PlayStation GHOST OF TSUSHIMA

Rate the Combat in PS4's Ghost of Tsushima

• Total voters
I was into it until I saw all the combat, basic vanilla ass AC shit. LOL at Mongols staring at walls and fighting one at a time, took me out of it.

Yeah. I watched a shit ton of Samurai stuff growing up, and always wanted a game precisely like this. But when I see the "one guy at my back, one guy in front" fighting placement happen and they can only attack me one at a time, with an archer heckling?

That's like every other standard open world game, and especially lame for the setting, and being a samurai, ninja, or whatever your role is. Fuck, that is kind of disappointing. I'm sure it'll still be pretty great, and I'm more into these type games for the story and the world, but that's a tad bummer.

Yeah. I watched a shit ton of Samurai stuff growing up, and always wanted a game precisely like this. But when I see the "one guy at my back, one guy in front" fighting placement happen and they can only attack me one at a time, with an archer heckling?

That's like every other standard open world game, and especially lame for the setting, and being a samurai, ninja, or whatever your role is. Fuck, that is kind of disappointing. I'm sure it'll still be pretty great, and I'm more into these type games for the story and the world, but that's a tad bummer.
Yeah, it kind of looks like ANOTHER 3rd person-action open world game. But, is this really a bad thing? From that I saw they trying to add some flavour. And not to be another generic ac game. So basically you can play in the original japanese dub with black and white style. Any who saw old samurai movies, this really warms your heart.

Yeah, it kind of looks like ANOTHER 3rd person-action open world game. But, is this really a bad thing? From that I saw they trying to add some flavour. And not to be another generic ac game. So basically you can play in the original japanese dub with black and white style. Any who saw old samurai movies, this really warms your heart.

Yes, I do appreciate the detail. My gripe is with the combat, and perhaps the structure of the game, the type of which I've played 800 times.

Then again, the combat ai might not be shit, and the open world aspects might be sharply different. Who knows.

Looks great.

I skipped the last AC games so I don't mind it being similar.

I would’ve preferred even less HUD details and flourishes.

Just off this video, I can think of half a dozen ways they could of done that.
Of course, you have to start with the basic premise that your player isn’t a complete idiot.

Last edited:
This game looks like Tenchu, Assassins Creed, and Witcher 3 had a orgy and seven years later Ghost of Tsushima was birthed into the world.

It looks great, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this will also be one of those titles that will be released on both PS4 & PS5.

Its going to look in-fucking-credible at 60FPS.

Not too keen on the weird graphical effects when he swings his sword. Makes it look too 'arcadey' and takes away the realism. Some more blood and decapitations would have been nice! I'll still buy it though, just hope the world isn't too empty and generic like a lot of open world games.

AI outside of combat, is one of the last things to be fully finished. And combat in these gameplay demos is god mode basically.
But yes very much like the last couple of AC games, they basically beat Ubisoft to the AC in feudal Japan, game people have been asking for.

I always hear, "oh the game is still in alpha/beta that will change" and it never does lol.

It looks stylish, just not quite my cup of tea. I think For Honor had a pretty good combat system, I was hoping this would be somewhat similar to that.

At first glance the combat seems to play out like older Assassin's Creed games which I always enjoyed.

I am hyped for this, but I would rather just skip its PS4 release and wait for the PS5 release, because it will look much better on it. At the same time, I don't want to wait. The combat doesn't look bad, I like the finishing animations, but it would be cool if we had like a watered down deflect system from Sekiro. I think this will be best played on a higher difficulty.

It's like a fusion of older assassins creed (ac3 counter based combat) and new rpg choose how you play style assassins creed. And the AI of assassins creed 1.

A hybrid between Tenchu and Assassin's Creed. Graphics look great and I always wanted a samurai open world game. More excited for this than Valhalla to be honest.

It looked okay. I'm not as excited as I could be, but I'm not writing it off yet either.

This is definitely NOT what I was hoping for. Combat couldn't be less satisfying looking.

It looked okay. I'm not as excited as I could be, but I'm not writing it off yet either.

This is definitely NOT what I was hoping for. Combat couldn't be less satisfying looking.

I just can’t get over the game-y HUD details.
I don’t why but I was expecting a more adult game....a new style where only visual / aural cues of NPC status. Maybe a temporary show of mission parameters / equipment if you press a button.
That earlier gameplay release from a few months ago had me thinking on that line.

I’ll still buy it, but at discount and it’s definitely not the groundbreaking entry I thought it was going to be.
Good looking game though.

Last edited:
I hope we will be able to turn pretty much the whole HUD off. Did the same in RDR2 and it makes immersion so much better.

I hope we will be able to turn pretty much the whole HUD off. Did the same in RDR2 and it makes immersion so much better.

I wish but I doubt it.

I’d prefer ALL graphical flourishes, flashes, markers and attention cues to be off. But that would need to built in from the start I think with substitutions in NPC AI behaviour and responses.

So shit outta luck, I think.

Last edited:
Curious to see how good it is. Sekiro was an awesome and very difficult game. I'm very proud to say I beat all bosses and secret bosses in game.

Back