Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

Keeping Preston Smith but cutting Rick Wagner? I seriously don't get this guy

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-preston-smith-back-with-packers-next-season/
Wagner is 31, 32 next season. I'd prefer to keep him but the Packers are up against the cap in trying to keep a true pass rusher and keep the line together.

I trust this team's ability to draft good linemen though.

Bahk, Lang, Sitton, Linsley, Bulaga, Dietrich-Smith, Jenkins, Runyan all were guys drafted by the Packers. I know Runyan was only a rookie last year but I never heard his name when he was playing which is usually a good sign for linemen.

Who remembers that 2018 game where Kyler Fackrell put on the most dominant defensive performance in years?

Can't remember who it was against, but it was probably the most dominant performance since Vonnie Holliday had 5 sacks after his dad died in 2002.

Free Agency is only a couple weeks away, boys. Shit posting is back on the menu.

Trotsky's Top 10 FA Targets:

1. Mario Edwards, DL, Bears
2. Troy Hill, CB, Rams
3. Kawann Short, DL, Giants
4. William Jackson, CB, Bengals
4. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Chiefs
5. Phillip Lindsay, RB, Broncos
6. Sidney Jones, CB, Jaguars
7. Gareon Conley, CB, Texans
8. Duke Johnson, RB, Texans
9. Jason Verrett, CB, Chargers
10. Curtis Samuel, WR, Panthers

In terms of the Packers' own free agents, I think Lazard and Tonyan are foregone conclusions. I really hope we retain Marcedes and Parry Nickerson. And I hope we at least make offers to Corey Linsley.

Free Agency is only a couple weeks away, boys. Shit posting is back on the menu.

Trotsky's Top 10 FA Targets:

1. Mario Edwards, DL, Bears
2. Troy Hill, CB, Rams
3. Kawann Short, DL, Giants
4. William Jackson, CB, Bengals
4. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Chiefs
5. Phillip Lindsay, RB, Broncos
6. Sidney Jones, CB, Jaguars
7. Gareon Conley, CB, Texans
8. Duke Johnson, RB, Texans
9. Jason Verrett, CB, Chargers
10. Curtis Samuel, WR, Panthers

In terms of the Packers' own free agents, I think Lazard and Tonyan are foregone conclusions. I really hope we retain Marcedes and Parry Nickerson. And I hope we at least make offers to Corey Linsley.
Foregone as in staying? Pretty sure they're both limited/restricted sso Packers likely can get them pretty inexpensively.

Talk is the team wants to keep Lewis.

Foregone as in staying? Pretty sure they're both limited/restricted sso Packers likely can get them pretty inexpensively.

Talk is the team wants to keep Lewis.

Yeah, foregone as in foregone conclusion that they'll get resigned. This would be a great offseason to fill team needs with low-cost mid-range talents, which is how I like it to be done.

Yeah, foregone as in foregone conclusion that they'll get resigned. This would be a great offseason to fill team needs with low-cost mid-range talents, which is how I like it to be done.
It also appears there's a lot of potential mutual interest between the Packers and James White.

It also appears there's a lot of potential mutual interest between the Packers and James White.

Idk how I feel about that tbh. He's so utterly unproductive as a runner that he wouldn't keep the defense honest. I'd prefer Jamaal over him.

Idk how I feel about that tbh. He's so utterly unproductive as a runner that he wouldn't keep the defense honest. I'd prefer Jamaal over him.
I watched a ton of Pat games as a good friend of mine and former roommate is a big Pats fan and what James White brings is danger of another pass catcher in the backfield.

You could start lining up two back shotgun sets where the defense has to guess either Williams run or a swing route to James White while STILL having to contend with likely at least Adams and probably Tonyan on mid and deep routes. It opens the offense up more when you have a RB that can catch.

CMC is a dynamic runner, but his ability to catch the ball adds lethality to that offense. Kamara too.

I watched a ton of Pat games as a good friend of mine and former roommate is a big Pats fan and what James White brings is danger of another pass catcher in the backfield.

You could start lining up two back shotgun sets where the defense has to guess either Williams run or a swing route to James White while STILL having to contend with likely at least Adams and probably Tonyan on mid and deep routes. It opens the offense up more when you have a RB that can catch.

CMC is a dynamic runner, but his ability to catch the ball adds lethality to that offense. Kamara too.

I haven't seen much White, but I think Williams is a very good pass catching RB and a very good blocker. Idk about the disparity in quickness between the two.

I haven't seen much White, but I think Williams is a very good pass catching RB and a very good blocker. Idk about the disparity in quickness between the two.

This was last year

This was probably at his best, ie when he was younger:

White won't light up a scoreboard like CMC or Kamara would, but he's like having a surehanded young Welker, Edelman, Cobb in the backfield.

I think @JackWhite asked why Rodgers would help them out after they drafted Jordan Love. Turns out they can do whatever they want with that deal anyway. I also thought Rodgers would have to agree to that so I think this is interesting info.

I think @JackWhite asked why Rodgers would help them out after they drafted Jordan Love. Turns out they can do whatever they want with that deal anyway. I also thought Rodgers would have to agree to that so I think this is interesting info.

Converting to a signing bonus means the money is fully guaranteed and can be amortized over the length of the contract so it's a good thing for both the player and team unless the team plans to divest themselves of the player because it becomes dead money that counts against the cap that season or the next two seasons depending on when a change happens.

Converting to a signing bonus means the money is fully guaranteed and can be amortized over the length of the contract so it's a good thing for both the player and team unless the team plans to divest themselves of the player because it becomes dead money that counts against the cap that season or the next two seasons depending on when a change happens.
So what I am reading is they can kick Rodgers cap hit down the road this season if they go this route....

Only if the NFL lets him be on the PEDS he was on in 2020 that kept the soft tissue injuries at bay.

In 2014, Randall Cobb wasn't resigned until March 7. Still a chance for Jones and Linsley. Albeit not a great one.

Marvin Jones looked as good as ever this year

Marvin Jones looked as good as ever this year

Jones is likely too pricey.

This guy got released though:

He's definitely nearing the end of his career though.

Doesn't change that the Packers are $8mil over the supposed cap still though.

I assume they will clear enough that they have like 5-10m space to work with, maybe more depending how much they want to do.

There is also this:

EDIT: Z posted he wants to be a Packer for life or something, hence the extension talk.

I assume they will clear enough that they have like 5-10m space to work with, maybe more depending how much they want to do.

There is also this:

EDIT: Z posted he wants to be a Packer for life or something, hence the extension talk.

I saw the Z Tweet.

All signs are pointing to them having to do something with Preston too. If they extend him by adding like another two years they could potentially offset his cap hit as well couldn't they?

The Packers are dealing with some cap issues but it's not near as bad as the Saints who are stuck just outright cutting folks.

Sanders did not look good last year. At this point, he's not worth the money + the lost reps for Lazard/MVS/EQ.

Jones could be had for something reasonable like $7/year I think.

There is also this:

Yeah, they should.

Using OTC, just restructuring Rodgers and guaranteeing his contract gets us to +4.8 million

Also restructuring ZDS gets us to +12.5 million

Cutting Preston Smith gets us to +19.7 million

Additionally cutting Burks and Jackson gets us to +20.7 million

Additionally cutting Lowry gets us to +23.4 million

So we could be looking at nearly $25 million in cap space. Not nearly as dire as it seemed to be before imo.

Back