Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

I honestly don't understand cutting Rick Wagner. He was one of the best tackles in the league this year and way better than Billy Turner.
Turner might be cheaper or they’re seeing if they can cut Wagner and resign him for cheaper

The whole podcast was pretty interesting, if you guys have time check it out.

I was watching the draft and the talk of where Rodgers would end up. I was hoping he would drop to the Packers but I didn't think they would draft him. I was pleasantly surprised when they did.

Since Washington drafted Jason Campbell right after the Packers drafted Rodgers there have been many "What if" questions about Rodgers playing for the Redskins. I seem to recall right after the draft, Joe Gibbs being asked if they would have drafted Rodgers if the Packers hadn't and him saying Jason Campbell was their choice all along. That might have been true but what is a coach going to say if they actually would have taken Rodgers. Do you tell the truth or do you try to make the guy you got feel like he was their choice all along. I see Joe Gibbs as one of those Jedi types who would say they got the guy they wanted whether it was true or not.

If it was true, the next quarterbacks taken were in the third round by Cleveland and Oakland with Frye and Walter. Where could Rodgers have ended up? It seems like most teams had their quarterbacks.

I was watching the draft and the talk of where Rodgers would end up. I was hoping he would drop to the Packers but I didn't think they would draft him. I was pleasantly surprised when they did.

Since Washington drafted Jason Campbell right after the Packers drafted Rodgers there have been many "What if" questions about Rodgers playing for the Redskins. I seem to recall right after the draft, Joe Gibbs being asked if they would have drafted Rodgers if the Packers hadn't and him saying Jason Campbell was their choice all along. That might have been true but what is a coach going to say if they actually would have taken Rodgers. Do you tell the truth or do you try to make the guy you got feel like he was their choice all along. I see Joe Gibbs as one of those Jedi types who would say they got the guy they wanted whether it was true or not.

If it was true, the next quarterbacks taken were in the third round by Cleveland and Oakland with Frye and Walter. Where could Rodgers have ended up? It seems like most teams had their quarterbacks.

I was young and not super into analyzing the draft (pre-YT so not much one could do anyways), but I never dreamed Aaron would be so good. I basically thought he'd end up what Alex Smith has become: an accurate game manager.

His arm strength and athleticism really didn't get shown at Cal at all.

True. But any help on that line is warranted IMO. Preston is a likely cap casualty but I hope not so he ISNT DROPPED INTO COVERAGE 70% OF THE TIME
This 100%

Preston wasn't supposed collect dust on a shelf but here we are

True. But any help on that line is warranted IMO. Preston is a likely cap casualty but I hope not so he ISNT DROPPED INTO COVERAGE 70% OF THE TIME

Smith definitely wasn't productive, but what worries me about losing him is that he's the only true edge rusher on the team: the only guy that can really dip and bend around the edge. ZDS is mostly a bull rusher and a stunt rusher. And Gary is still purely a bull rusher (which doesn't bode well for his future imo).

Safe to say JJ Watt doesn't like the playoffs with that move.

His leadership is what I really wanted. I still think he has enough in the tank to make a run with a talented team. Glad JJ got his money though and even more glad he isn't in the North.

His leadership is what I really wanted. I still think he has enough in the tank to make a run with a talented team. Glad JJ got his money though and even more glad he isn't in the North.
Wonder what this means for some of the Packers FAs now

Would be nice if they could bring Jones back now. I really want Linsley, but I think the handwriting is on the wall with his future in GB.
Rumor is Jones wants to be the highest paid RB in the league.

I'd prefer taking Williams, who has been very public with WANTING to be a Packer his whole life at a cheaper rate and run him and Dillon so there is more money for Lazard and Tonyan.

I'd prefer taking Williams, who has been very public with WANTING to be a Packer his whole life at a cheaper rate and run him and Dillon so there is more money for Lazard and Tonyan.

Yeah, fuck that. I like Jones. A lot. Be he isn't the best back in the league and shouldn't be paid as such.

Yeah, fuck that. I like Jones. A lot. Be he isn't the best back in the league and shouldn't be paid as such.
The rumor I saw that makes me believe it is the Packers offered him a sizable contract that would be one of the better paid RBs in the league but he turned it down cause he wanted more guaranteed money.

He's been linked to Miami as well and I know his social media he's been in Florida this offseason. The other report too I saw was someone asked Williams where he wants to go given he's a Free Agent and his response was basically "I love Green Bay, I love the team and the fans, I want to stay here if I can forever".

Man Fuck you JJ Watt

The Cards? Really?

Idk about Williams. He's a good pass catcher and a great blocker but he's just not dynamic or explosive. And his vision, while improved, is still bad. Offense just looked sluggish with him compared to Jones. Not sure he makes sense as a combo with Dillon.

I agree with @Trotsky regarding Williams, there will be a bunch of RBs available for cheap who will be a better fit next to Dillon. They likely take one in R3-R5, if the mock sims are even a little accurate, then R4 seems to be a good spot, though Gute might trade the 4ths away again lol.

As for JJ, I'm not mad. It would have been a cool story and he's still pretty good, he ultimately went for the big guaranteed money and that is his right. Maybe it even works out better for the Packers in the end.

I was glad to hear that! The tackling has been terrible.
Ben Fennell explained pretty well how important tackling is in general, but also specifically for the kind of zone based defense the Packers want to play. If you are Ok with giving up completitions, you have to play fast and tackle well and aggressively. Barry said all the right things so we will see.

I also liked this:

About time someone said it.

----

Not sure how serious Gutekunst was here:

Back