News Hill vs Rountree officially set as co-main event on UFC 303

Garry did tease possibly fighting an American soon, probably Colby. I could see that fight in the featured bout spot on the main card, makes sense to give Hill a higher spot given he is a former champion.

Former champion who literally just headlined arguably the biggest UFC card of all time.

I know it's dirty pool because the card was stacked, but in theory, this is a pretty big co-main fight.

2 people getting ppv points. That’s a Conor card for you. I can’t believe people thought he was headlining 300.
What makes you think a second person is getting ppv points? It's highly unlikely anyone other than Conor gets points on this one.

I’ve gotta give Hill props. I get not waiting to slide backwards in ranking, but round tree is nothing I’d be asking for in his shoes after Poatan starched him

I was rooting for Lionheart hard, but i admit now, it’s over
With Jones out of the picture anyone can become LHW champion. I don't care for Smith and I love Poatan and would heavily favor him over Smith but I'd be lying if I said there was no way Smith could win. The level of grappling is low enough at LHW that any guy with a blackbelt and conditioning is a live dog. Glover was able to grab the belt at 42 after losing his first title shot almost a decade prior. Smith is no Glover but with the right timing and circumstances I think there's like a few guys who could become LHW champ in the next few years and Smith might be one.

That said Smith is not as good as he thinks he is and I was never completely sold on the guy. Looked underwhelming in the run up to Jones at LHW and while he picked up a few good wins afterwards I was never fully convinced he was a top fighter.

I’ve gotta give Hill props. I get not waiting to slide backwards in ranking, but round tree is nothing I’d be asking for in his shoes after Poatan starched him
rountree definitely seems like he’s putting it all together. i don’t know if he’d ever become a dominant champ, but he’s talented enough to become champ on any given night.

team rountree for this one, the dude just secretes class. and i think it would make for a different or moreso interesting fight to see rountree vs poatan. hill vs. poatan is just gonna end up the same as the first time regardless of whatever condition that hill is in, he's too hyperfixated on koing in a fist exchange that he's prewritten to lose.
Yup I really hope Rountree gets the W here.
He is a quiet man, hard worker, can be devastating in the cage when he wants to be.

This fight will determine if Roundtree has a chance to ever reach the top echelon, or if he'll always be a middle of the pack type of fighter.

Glover was able to grab the belt at 42 after losing his first title shot almost a decade prior. Smith is no Glover but with the right timing and circumstances I think there's like a few guys who could become LHW champ in the next few years and Smith might be one.
Yeah and Glover before had lost to Gus, Jones, Rumble (RIP), corey Anderson, Davis..... All of those guys were just plain better than him and he was probably closer to his prime then, I don't think Glover was his best as a fighter when he won the belt. You'll notice all those people in my post were removed from the picture before guys like him and Jan ever made it to title shots. (except the one againt jones, of course) The LHW division was just that wide open. Glover didn't improve as a fighter nearly as much as the division just got worse. Hill only got a title shot against glover due to circumstances. I don't think hill was going to fight his way to a title. If smith got a late replacement shot, he could win. I just doubt he could string 3 in a row at this point to earn a shot.

Making a quick turnaround against another heavy hitter after getting KO'd... doesn't seem like the best move but we'll see.

found the event poster

i-have-noticed-that-hilly-landscapes-there-is-often-tree-right-top-hill-many-times-i-wondered-what-that-is-good-well-these-hills-as-well-as-trees-are-ideal-taking-beautif_665346-5833.jpg
You win the internet...ffs this is fuckin beautiful lol.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back