I Just Watched GSP vs Jon Fitch

People always claim that the Serra KO turned GSP into a decision machine but I kind of think that it was the Fitch fight, and to a degree the subsequent BJ Penn fight, that led to GSP's passivity towards the end of his run.
He threw the kitchen sink at Fitch and BJ Penn, and then picked it up again and hit them some more and still couldn't get a stoppage (or at least a proper in-fight ref stoppage in the Penn fight).

I think this kind of let him know that he's just not going to get some guys out of there no matter what he does. Thus he began to gameplan around doing work and minimizing risks and just let the Ws rack up round by round, rather than going balls to the wall trying to get finishes, since that's not always possible and is a riskier strategy regardless.

Sorry but bragging about beating Jon Fitch on the feet is equivalent of bragging of submitting a white belt.

Not sure why you would think that. I don't think that Fitch has more than one top 5 victory in his entire career.

Because back then nobody would fight him.

This is my favorite fight to bring up when people insist gsp was boring. Also him sending koscheks eye to bolivia.

What an ass whooping lol. Granted most of GSP's fights are one sided but this was back when George still had a little bit of killer instinct and he was dominating a guy that had gone 8-0 since entering the UFC. His right hand counter to Fitch's left at the beginning of the third round was especially sweet. If this fight happened today, it'd be scored 50-41 for sure under the current judging system.
GSP smesh, he is the GOAT afterall

Beating Hughes and BJ Penn twice twice also hasn't aged well. 10 years ago that got a ton of respect. Now beating BJ Penn and the last guy BJ Penn ever beat isn't a bragworthy feat.

You realize that wins at LW and WW division never age well because they're the most stacked division and it's quite a lot harder to stay competitive against the up and comers compared to stalled division like LHW and HW? So yeah in retrospect these amazing wins never look as good but in fact they were that good. You're just being too dumb to understand the difference.

Not sure why you would think that. I don't think that Fitch has more than one top 5 victory in his entire career.

Top 15 wins at WW is equivalent to a top 3 wins at LHW and HW. Let that sink in.

That fight just shows you how great GSP is , Fitch most likely would be a top 10 in UFC even by now he would be top 15 for sure and GSP destroyed him in his prime 10 years ago . GSP is truly the greatest of all time and there is no other way around it
Fitch is still top 10 in the world. He just drew with Rory MacDonald.

This is so hilarious. Gsp fans know no bounds. So now due to revisionist history and you guys changing a narrative so your decision machine hero who Hendricks sent out of the sport for four years only to come.back to.cherry pick a 40 year old cyclops.

I've seen it all folks. So.since its been established here that Fitch was a good win, you now take that and exaggerate and build his legacy only to make your guy look better.
Someone wrote a huge post saying that Fitch is better than DC. Also read that Fitch would be a top 10 ww today.
Been reading praise after praise for Jon fitch. Funny you were the same people that said he sucked after Hendricks flat lined him and after maia fitched him.
I'm a fan of the guy myself. I have always appreciated his toughness. He is a very good fighter and in all sincerity probably gsps biggest win. However, the way he is being pushed on top of an alter now is a joke. You guys are only doing that to legitimize gsps lackluster win column.

Penn is 8 fights without a finish.

i don't care who's more popular between them, seems like your fascinated with that and not me. Instead of being pathetic yourself, if you don't like what posts people put up don't reply to them, it's simple...goodbye.
nah, kid.
Never liked Conor, so you are obviously just projecting.

oooh great comeback.
right-back-at-pv7rg6.jpg

And it’s insane that even today, Fitch was good enough to arguably beat Rory. And GSP absolutely handled him a decade ago in his prime.

Then move on? No one forced you to click the thread. You just wanted to be first one to stir the pot in pro gsp thread and your arguments have no substance
nah. the lack of substance is bringing a fight that happened over 10 years ago.

Since I have not been calling you names, it is pretty clear to everyone who the insecure kid is, lmao. Relax, it is an mma forum ffs. Lol. You must be a lot of fun to hang out with.
I am.
But you wouldn't know.
Insecure GSP fanboys don't have friends... only other insecure GSP fanboys, so you can support each other.

Back