Rumored IS Bo Nikal the first fighter of a new super gym??

Very dumb by Bo. He should just make his own team of yesmen and do coke and become an alcoholic. Make a shitty whiskey or assault old men in bars. THAT'S how you become an mma icon.
You're getting ahead of your self you are only suppose to do all stuff after you've won two belts and refused to defend them :p

We all heard of Bo Nikal and his plans to conquer 185 and become P4P #1. And many of us are already on the hype train.

However Bo Nikal is not alone. Roughly a year ago Bo Nikal teamed up with American TOP team to build a super gym. Apparently they are going to cycling different MMA coaches from ATT prime up there

The gym is a 12 minute drive away from Penn State. Bo is actively recruiting members of the Nittany Lions Wrestling Team. From what I understand this team is the Patriots of Collegiate Wrestling. Championship after championship. Home many of the best wrestlers in the nation.

In addition, this new ATT is next door to the M2 trading center— a wrestling academy run by Olympic Gold Medalist David Taylor.

From what I understand NCAA champ Anthony Cassar (another NCAA Champion), Musa Alsulaimani (former Penn State boxer), and Roman Bravo-Young (another NCAA Champion) are already training their and more are to come.

Could this gym become a conveyor belt of champions???

This is old news, but yea, Bo and Cassar basically started this gym and are actively recruiting Penn State alumni.

https://www.statecollege.com/bo-nic...top-team-to-open-new-mma-gym-in-pleasant-gap/

LOL, he's feasted on cans and is already being touted by the sherdong brainiacs as being able to step in and beat Izzy and Alex.

Both Izzy and Alex would KO him as soon as he tried to close distance.

He obviously is a future threat to 185 but that is like a year or two away. And at least he's not getting the Pico treatment of being thrown in with skilled veterans right away.

LOL, he's feasted on cans and is already being touted by the sherdong brainiacs as being able to step in and beat Izzy and Alex.

Both Izzy and Alex would KO him as soon as he tried to close distance.

He obviously is a future threat to 185 but that is like a year or two away. And at least he's not getting the Pico treatment of being thrown in with skilled veterans right away.
Don't you find it a little ironic to be first-name-basis mentioning "Alex" like he didn't get taken down by a greek jobber in his UFC debut just 10 month ago? Not to mention choked out in his MMA debut.

This is how they explain it on their website:
"Penn State Boxing has was established in 1928 as a NCAA sanctioned sport. From 1923 to 1954, boxing was the No 1. Varsity sport at Penn State. Boxing is no longer an NCAA sanctioned sport, but the tradition created at Penn State still continues as a club sport with a competitive team option through the National Collegiate Boxing Association (NCBA). Currently 24 colleges and universities compete in the NCBA."

"
After 1960, the NCAA no longer sanctioned boxing. In response, the NCBA was founded in 1976.

NCBA member schools are encouraged to develop their instructional and intramural programs with emphasis on the teaching of fundamental novice boxing skills. In order to be eligible to participate in an NCBA member school, a collegiate boxer must be a full-time student at an accredited institution at which he/she is attending for graduation.
"

So this is a long way of saying there has been no such thing as a “Penn State Boxer” for over 60 years?

Quidditch is also a club sport at most universities.

I don't think 24 is "too old" to learn good enough striking. Alex Perreira didn't begin training Muay Thai until he was like 23 and Bo is probably as good of an athlete or better, and Bo will be getting way better and more specialized training than Alex did from the starts of their careers since he's the golden goose.

That said, I agree with your sentiment, starting at 24 even if you have an elite background going in can be somewhat late for development depending on the athlete. Still, Bo probably doesn't need to have Izzy or Robs level of striking to become champion anyways.
You cannot teach the punching power of Pereira anymore than you can the punching power of Ngannou; punchers are born they are not made.

You cannot teach the punching power of Pereira anymore than you can the punching power of Ngannou; punchers are born they are not made.

There's other examples besides Perreira, you ignored the entire points made to focus on the fact that power is a natural talent that he has and Bo may not? Kind of annoying.

We'll even keep it MMA specific for you then, TJ Dillashaw started at 24, Volkanovski didn't start until about 22-23. Two of our sports best strikers.

Meh, Pico's looking pretty damn good right now.
Needs a step up in competition to really see where he's at. He's been having confidence boosting fights but not really being tested at the top level. We won't know how much he's improved until he's willing to step up in competition again to see where he's at currently.

This is old news but I'm glad people are talking about it.

Friendly reminder that whenever you have a single wrestler and you have the field of wrestlers, always bet on the field to have more titles. Yes it's exciting that Bo is coming to MMA but the field deserves attention as well.

I don't think it's that black and white. People have natural power but there's A LOT you can do to drastically improve punching power and speed. I would know because I did it to improve my punching power. My punches were weak before but I studied the mechanics of a punch and analyzed power punchers and their style of training and their style of punching and figured out a bunch of stuff on my own to improve my punching power. A lot of work goes into punching power, I think comments like that undermine the amount of work some fighters put into developing punching power.

I think the fighters/coaches just don't understand that power punching uses different techniques/mechanics than textbook style. A lot are too focused on how punches look and doing the technique textbook style and that limits that amount of power they can develop or put into the punch. There's just a lot that goes into power punching. A lot of little details that many probably just don't understand if they can't power punch themselves and be able teach people how to power punch.

Needs a step up in competition to really see where he's at. He's been having confidence boosting fights but not really being tested at the top level. We won't know how much he's improved until he's willing to step up in competition again to see where he's at currently.
Well his next fight is a good step up. Kennedy is game as hell and good everywhere.

Well his next fight is a good step up. Kennedy is game as hell and good everywhere.
Nice. Interested to see the outcome of that fight. I do think he was pushed too fast in the beginning but that was also his choice. After the first fight people around him should've been aware that he wasn't ready for that level of competition yet. The bright lights and pressure was getting to him. Probably could've avoided a lot of early losses.

I just don't see a Penn State Wrestling to ATT pipeline being a thing.

Former top-notch Penn State wrestlers can make a decent living outside of MMA by wrestling competitively overseas and then taking an assistant coaching gig at a DI college.

Frank Molinaro in 2021 was employed in Arizona State University and had annual salary of $86,700 according to public records.

Not sure if people here have noticed but Dana doesn't care about recruiting an infinite amount of talented wrestlers. He goes for a variety of fighters, and probably prefers guys who stand and bang if all else equal.

I think there is probably a soft quota for wrestlers, so I am not sure if a super gym near Penn State would be relevant to the UFC.

If anyone has seen a Bellator card in the past few years and have been bored, that is where a lot of good American wrestlers headed to.

If this was 12 years ago or so this would be a big deal, but the UFC does not care about getting guys who might LnP their way to a title anymore (not saying all wrestlers are LnP but thats the perception).

He should be also training with Buchecha in Florida ATT. Buchecha is 13x bjj world champion, a very good wrestler and fuckin huge. If Bo can survive 2 minutes with Buchecha, no MW will be a threat to him on the ground.

Buchecha would go on Bo airlines if they ever grappled

You can see from training videos that Bo's striking is already going to be a problem when combined with the threat of his take downs plus not fighting anyone gifted enough to have won a Hodge Trophy. You can see from Bo hitting pads that he has great athletic intelligence to make small adjustments to his body in space. Contrast that with someone like Brock Lesnar who was huge and explosive but couldn't make those adjustments in space so his striking was never much of a threat.

Bo will basically go as far as his chin allows. Most likely he just has an average chin and that will be the limiting factor in his success. Same with all those guys.

Back