Is Islam the biggest threat to Leon's Belt?

He’s ZERO threat. He’s not getting a free TS at WW. He’ll have to defend a few times to get a free TS at WW. And Edwards may not even be the champion if or when Islam actually moves up to WW.

I don’t think Islam will move up if he has to vacate, and fight a top 3 contender to earn a WW TS.

I don't know if JDM, Garry, or Brady are that much of a threat. Maybe -200
I don't think Leon would be a very heavy favorite against anybody in the top 10 or against Islam. Maybe like a -200 against Burns or Geoff Neal, but if he was any bigger favorite against the others, would be a good chance to put some money on it.

The Leon-Belal fight only lasted 1 round. A lot of people are reading way too much into that fight. Belal is a pressure fighter who gets better as his opponents tire. His style doesn't rely on winning the first round.

No, a guy with ZERO wins at WW is NOT the biggest threat to the WW champion.

YKGxA1.gif

Islam is going to make easy work of Leon if they ever fight. You will see.

Leon is going to spend majority of the fight on his back and get submitted.

overrated Leon's grappling defense. Usman and Colby are on the downside of their career with chronic injuries.

I'm going through the contenders at 170 and Imo they don't look that dangerous for leon.

1. Belal
Obviously you can never count out Belal but the first fight did not turn out too well for Belal. Belal's pressure style gets countered by Leon easily and Leon is good enough at grappling to survive Belal's takedowns

2. Shavkat
Shavkat is a damm good grappler but his striking defense has too many holes for someone like Leon to exploit. If Shavkat takes Leon down, Leon might run into trouble but against Usman and Colby, Leon showed that he can hang in there with good grapplers. The guys shavkat submitted didn't have noteworthy grappling either.

3. Sean Brady
At least Shavkat has some striking to hang with Leon. Brady did strike with Belal but his cardio would doom him after round 2. Unlike Shavkat, Brady can control Leon on the ground but I doubt he gets there.

4. Jack Della Maddalena
Leon styles him on the feet. JDM's only hope is if he survives till the championship rounds where Leon fades and he's able to crack him. He'll need a knockout

5. Ian Cuck Garry
LOL

Wild card Islam:
Islam has the control such that Leon's grappling might not be enough and also has an awkward counterstriking style making him hard to hit. I can see Islam's striking proving difficult for Leon to deal with before Islam takes him down with the many trips and throws that he has used.
Shavkat.
First off Wonderboy has never even submitted before.
Second Colby and Usman don't go for subs.

No.
The Church of England is.

Dude, don't hate Muslims just because you don't know them.

I think it would heavily depend on who they give MVP on his title run, many banana skins for him in the UFC.

My my word, what a fight that would be.
The UFC could fast track MVP if he has a good showing in a debut like Anderson Silva did against Leben. If he gets past Holland i think they give him a top 5 opponent or opponent with a name then a title shot, he’s already a veteran in MMA, there’s no use trying take his career slow against regional fighters in the UFC to build him up especially at his age like I’ve seen people suggest on this site.

Guys like Islam and Shavkat would wear Leon down quickly and both would get the victory.

Even Colby could've beat Leon had he pushed the pace early.

Leon is the most overrated champion (outside of Jon Jones) in the UFC right now.

Leon is at the top of his game...undefeated for almost 8 years, only 32, and seems to improve every single fight. Knows what it takes to win.

Shavkat I can see winning. Not the same level of opponents but every opponent he has finished.

Belal, Brady...just don't think they can pull it off.

Garry/JDM have that boxing/punchers chance...I could see one of them (most likely Garry) catching Leon similar to Nate but Garry/JDM would not play around, they could go and get the finish.

Yeah maybe Islam is a big threat but let him clean out the LW division, if he moves up he vacates the LW belt and stays at WW so the LW division can move on.

Wild card Islam:
Islam has the control such that Leon's grappling might not be enough and also has an awkward counterstriking style making him hard to hit. I can see Islam's striking proving difficult for Leon to deal with before Islam takes him down with the many trips and throws that he has used.
Here is the flaw in your thinking:

Volk dropped Islam. Leon is a vastly superior striker and is much bigger than Volk.
Volk grappled with Islam (survived easily). Leon is vastly bigger and easily as good a grappler to Volk.

Islam is not going to be able to dominate with his grappling and Leon is larger and his striking superiority will only enhance his advantage. Volk is 10 lbs below Islam. Leon is 15 lbs larger. Shavkat is the much bigger threat to Leon and its not even close. Imagine Islam vs Shavkat and tell me what you see.

Shavkat is as dominant in the grappling as Islam is only against much larger opponents. Additionally he hits harder and is more aggressive hunting the finish (Not saying Islam isn't aggressive hunting the finish).

Not the biggest threat, but a big threat.

But he almost gets ktfo by Nate Diaz? And gtfo with that wife shit, I'm talking about skill not bs drama
Even if we compared both of those mistakes, Nate Diaz is not Song Kenan. Based on what we've seen from Garry so far, saying he's the best WW striker is wild.

And the second part was just a joke, no need to get all into your feels about it

IMO Shavkat is the uncrowned Champ that people are avoiding like they did with Islam at 155. Islam I think could give Leon a run for his money but I'm not convinced that he beats him, Shavkat I am.

Back